Camp Carnival - Very Disappointed

Gonz

Thank you for this thread. I had been considering Carnival but now...

To play the devils advocate: first, if my child had a food alergy, I would list on the resgistration form acceptable items to eat. My child does not have a food alergy, but I do. I advise my waiter on the first night what I can and cannot eat, and I'm very specific. They take note and insure I have a wonderful meal.

Second, in regards to the "shark beating poll" call. Let me see, she was told not to do it and she disobeys an adult and does it again? OMG, they called you out of your dinner to tell you your child was being disrepectful to an adult. And you are upset to be interupted? The kids dinning is another issue, to which I can agree with.

Third, My own childcare center at home, if I arrive a little too early has had me wait with my child until the appropreate number of staff arrive, why is waiting 5 mins for the camp to open a problem?

Fourth, the last day at sea, yes, they do schedule fun things to do as a family. Lets see, at 3:45 PM, it's family activities. I'm sorry, one did not get enough free time to relax, sun, read before 3:45 PM? Did you wake up at noon?

Finally, on my last cruise, aboard Fantasy, while I was signing my DD in, a woman came upto the window to complain a counselor yelled at another child and upset her child. I looked down at my DD with a puzzled look on my face to which she knew was my expression for "did this happen?". She shrugged her shoulders and shook her head.

Camp is not baby sitting. It is activities for youth. For the record, after 5 Carnival cruises, my DD loves to go to camp and has never had any problem with the counselors. And for the record, DD likes RCI, (Adventure Beach, beats evolutions of fun), and she enjoyed NCI Sprit Camp as well, (but Mommy does not like the ship, sorry). I'm sure people have had problems with any camp. Don't discount a cruise line do to people's personal opinions.

DD loves camp. Has never had a problem after 5 cruises. The hours of operation are posted clearly on the web site and in various capers if one does their research.

To play the devils advocate: first, if my child had a food alergy, I would list on the resgistration form acceptable items to eat. My child does not have a food alergy, but I do. I advise my waiter on the first night what I can and cannot eat, and I'm very specific. They take note and insure I have a wonderful meal.

Second, in regards to the "shark beating poll" call. Let me see, she was told not to do it and she disobeys an adult and does it again? OMG, they called you out of your dinner to tell you your child was being disrepectful to an adult. And you are upset to be interupted? The kids dinning is another issue, to which I can agree with.

Third, My own childcare center at home, if I arrive a little too early has had me wait with my child until the appropreate number of staff arrive, why is waiting 5 mins for the camp to open a problem?

Fourth, the last day at sea, yes, they do schedule fun things to do as a family. Lets see, at 3:45 PM, it's family activities. I'm sorry, one did not get enough free time to relax, sun, read before 3:45 PM? Did you wake up at noon?

Finally, on my last cruise, aboard Fantasy, while I was signing my DD in, a woman came upto the window to complain a counselor yelled at another child and upset her child. I looked down at my DD with a puzzled look on my face to which she knew was my expression for "did this happen?". She shrugged her shoulders and shook her head.

Camp is not baby sitting. It is activities for youth. For the record, after 5 Carnival cruises, my DD loves to go to camp and has never had any problem with the counselors. And for the record, DD likes RCI, (Adventure Beach, beats evolutions of fun), and she enjoyed NCI Sprit Camp as well, (but Mommy does not like the ship, sorry). I'm sure people have had problems with any camp. Don't discount a cruise line do to people's personal opinions.

DD loves camp. Has never had a problem after 5 cruises. The hours of operation are posted clearly on the web site and in various capers if one does their research.

Again, they close from noon to 2 and then again at 3:45. Family activities? Ick, its the talent show. I just don't care to see your child sing or someone elses child play the national anthem with their armpits. I will make do, no question about that. But no, I didn't wake up at noon and yes, I would enjoy reading my book in the afternoon on the last sea day.

Forgive me if I misread, but no where in that quote does it mention closing at 3:45pm the last sea day for the talent show.

I was only stating it was very clear that Camp Carnival is not open from 9am-10pm. They do not put an official schedule on the Carnival website because it varies from ship to ship and sailing to sailing. Though if you researched on http://www.webshots.com or even ask your PVP you can get Camp Carnival Activity Capers which would give you a better idea of what to expect.

NaomiJohn, because my son had a food allergy I had filled out a special form that indicated exactly what he could and could not have. It's Carnival's own form that I pulled off their website when I pre-registered my son. What's the point of filling out that form if the counselors are not going to refer to it when it comes time to decided what my son can eat?

And I'll say it again, and I'll refrain from bold print or all caps even though I've said it three time already: Camp Carnival on the Valor was closed from 11:45 until 7 at night on our last sea day. The only way my kids could be there is if I or my wife was accompanying them. I was up at about 6:45 that morning, but as the mornings this time of year are a bit chilly I wasn't about to go lay in the sun wearing my winter clothes and covering myself with my bed sheets, as others had done. Those afternoon hours are the prime time, everyone knows it, but the camp schedules all these absurd activities that negate the entire reason most parents want the camp in the first place: To have some time to themselves. I'll admit it. It doesn't make me a bad parent to want some alone time. Yes I realize it's a family vacation, but on a ship that is billed as having a place for the kids to be supervised so I can have my time.

NaomiJohn, because my son had a food allergy I had filled out a special form that indicated exactly what he could and could not have. It's Carnival's own form that I pulled off their website when I pre-registered my son. What's the point of filling out that form if the counselors are not going to refer to it when it comes time to decided what my son can eat?

And I'll say it again, and I'll refrain from bold print or all caps even though I've said it three time already: Camp Carnival on the Valor was closed from 11:45 until 7 at night on our last sea day. The only way my kids could be there is if I or my wife was accompanying them. I was up at about 6:45 that morning, but as the mornings this time of year are a bit chilly I wasn't about to go lay in the sun wearing my winter clothes and covering myself with my bed sheets, as others had done. Those afternoon hours are the prime time, everyone knows it, but the camp schedules all these absurd activities that negate the entire reason most parents want the camp in the first place: To have some time to themselves. I'll admit it. It doesn't make me a bad parent to want some alone time. Yes I realize it's a family vacation, but on a ship that is billed as having a place for the kids to be supervised so I can have my time.

You are not a bad parent for wanting some time to yourself. Why else would we book a vacation with childcare available? I could rent a condo on the beach for the same price, but I would have to prepare my own food, make my own entertainment, and HAVE NO BABYSITTER. It is a perk that is promised on the cruiselines, and I for one will not apologize for wanting to use it.

Gonz, I'm siding with you. Our DS is allergic to dairy as well so I understand your frustrations. We had several dining issues on our last RCI trip so I know how frustrating it can be. It sounds like Carnival needs to rethink their scheduling on the last sea day. I find that I can overlook one or two annoyances when on a holiday, but when they keep adding up, it ends up putting a damper on the whole vacation.

The hours of operation are posted clearly on the web site and in various capers if one does their research.

We had the hours of operation problem on the Elation last December. Sure the Capers had printed up hours, but the staff made up their own hours (which were always less). So always closing time and the start of fee services started fifteen minutes early. If you arrived at the actual time closing posted in the Capers the staff would yell at you.

I understand not letting kids in 5 minutes early, but the staff don't need to hang onto the sign-in sheet like they are secret documents. On NCL the staff has always given the sign-in sheet to the early arrivals to at least complete the sign-in paperwork. On the Elation the staff refused to let anyone hold the sign-in without at least one staff member also having a hand firmly locked onto the sign-in. Of course this just increased the time to check-in and lengthen the line; making many people late to first evening seating.

For taking an Carnival excursion that was listed as returning an hour prior to afternoon closing we came back at the end of the 15 minutes that the Capers said they camp was still open (but the staff had already decided to be closed); so the staff charged us a late fee. Guess where their tip went?

For taking an Carnival excursion that was listed as returning an hour prior to afternoon closing we came back at the end of the 15 minutes that the Capers said they camp was still open (but the staff had already decided to be closed); so the staff charged us a late fee. Guess where their tip went?

This is just wrong and something I would have immediately taken up with the camp director/powers that be. I can completely understand the camp being closed at specified times but would not accept them closing earlier than that. (could understand a late opening if there were not enough staff but again, would have taken that up with the director-who should cover for staff if needed)

As far as the allergy goes, I can see both sides. I would NEVER want a camp counselor who did not know my son or how items were prepared to decide what he should/should not eat. At the minimum, I would expect a page to have me either help them decide or get something to bring for him. I'm sorry the OP had such a bad experience. HOpefully the next line will be better.

Forgive me if I misread, but no where in that quote does it mention closing at 3:45pm the last sea day for the talent show.

Actually, it says it on their Camp Capers for the day-

3:30-3:45pm Cartoons and Pick up time

3:45-6pm Closed for family activities (late fees apply)

The talent show goes on during this time and also the Fun Ship Freddy stuff (photos, autographs, buy all the Freddy dolls/bathrobes/t-shirts, etc...then from 5-6pm they get ready for dinner.

I agree that it stinks they close at that time- but no one can say they didn't know...sorry!

Regarding the only feeding rice for dinner- sorry that happened! Completely unacceptable! If they would prefer not to be responsible for feeding children with any type of food allergy- they should just say so...or if a child is going to dinner with camp the parents should have to sign a copy of that nights menu and circle/cross off items the kids should not eat.

And for the rude counsellor- well, lets just say that I would have made such a fuss that everyone on that ship would have known about it!!!

Be sure to write a very comprehensive letter to Carnival Corp- list all the names of the staff involved!!! Carnival would not like their family friendly reputation to be smeared- they should make it right with you!!!

Take care,

Diana:)

You are correct, here is a copy from one of the most recent pages I have...

CampCarnivalCapers2to5p4.jpg

Please note, "Dinner with your friends" just under the box. It lists what will be served. I pulled the Camp Capers from previous Cruises, and for each day, the menu is listed.

Now, Capers for the entire voyage are handed out the first day, I have 4, 5, and 7 day capers.

One would logically think a parent would read the activity, note the food served and advise the couselors what a child can or cannot eat?

I will also point out Family Activities for about 2.75 hours. Then the camp resumes.

Thanks Crusinmama, you made the best point.

You are not a bad parent for wanting some time to yourself. Why else would we book a vacation with childcare available? I could rent a condo on the beach for the same price, but I would have to prepare my own food, make my own entertainment, and HAVE NO BABYSITTER. It is a perk that is promised on the cruiselines, and I for one will not apologize for wanting to use it.

So on a 7 or 5 night cruise, you both were upset you could not enjoy the last day without your children? When A) Crusinmama just posted a caper; and B) the Camp Capers are handed out the first day of the cruise so one should know what will be fed and the up coming activities. When the Camp, ( not the babysitting service), will be open for children, open for family activities or just closed?

Sorry, do not see your problem. Try reading them the next time, on any cruise.

So on a 7 or 5 night cruise, you both were upset you could not enjoy the last day without your children? When A) Crusinmama just posted a caper; and B) the Camp Capers are handed out the first day of the cruise so one should know what will be fed and the up coming activities. When the Camp, ( not the babysitting service), will be open for children, open for family activities or just closed?

Sorry, do not see your problem. Try reading them the next time, on any cruise.

Thanks for all your helpfulness, but I haven't actually taken my child on a cruise yet, we are going in May. And no, if I had not read this thread I wouldn't have known. So, guess what... I did read. But thanks!

Edited to add: No matter what you say, I won't be made to feel bad to want to spend the last afternoon of my last sea day without my child. I am a fantastic mother who loves my child very much. I spend all day every day with him, and this is my one chance to get a day off. As a mother, you should understand that. Not to mention I plan to take spend plenty of time with him, just because I want a couple hours in the sun, it doesn't make me cruel or a bad mother.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. We have cruised Carnival with our now 3 year old 10 times. We have used Camp Carnival alot. Overall they have provided excellent service. I have not always been happy with every counselor, but generally we have been very pleased with them.

Not all ships have a talent show and thus they don't close for it on the last sea day. On our last cruise Camp Carnival did not close at all in the afternoon for the first sea day. Sometimes they close well before departure from port time, but other times they are open way past departure time. For evening ports, they were open for the whole port time. We have found that Carnival excursions do tend to run late.

We did the 'Behind the Fun' tour which we were told was three hours. Our tour started at 9:15 on the last sea day. We asked Camp Carnival if they could watch our son during the extra time (from 11:45 until 12:30). They replied that since we were on a ship sponsored tour that they would be happy to do so at no charge for as long as the tour lasted and that they wanted us to enjoy our vacation. (Of course we offered to pay.) Like most Carnival excursions, it was late and they were fine with that. They were very gracious. FYI - you are allowed to take the ship's cell phone with you on Behind the Fun, just not your own phone.

Every cruise is different, so maybe you should give them another chance.

The kids club is not a babysitting service! it provides things for the children to do with kids there age. if you dont wanna spend time with ur children leave them at home or bring a along a nanny! it sickness me how parents are toward there children! spend time with ur child specailly if it is the last day of vacation! and stop blaming other people.

The kids club is not a babysitting service! it provides things for the children to do with kids there age. if you dont wanna spend time with ur children leave them at home or bring a along a nanny! it sickness me how parents are toward there children! spend time with ur child specailly if it is the last day of vacation! and stop blaming other people.

Are you kidding me with this? Well aren't you being judgmental. You don't know me or the OP.

I think the fact they (and you now) say it is not a babysitting service is ridiculous. Say that all you want, but exactly what differs Camp Carnival for a 2 year from a daycare for a 2 year old? I DO NOT plan to leave my child there all day. I DO enjoy spending time with my child. I plan to have him with me just about all day. But, it is my right to use the BABYSITTING service when I please because that is what I pay for.

Seriously, do you even have kids? Or do you just go to the family board to judge those who do?

I have to respectfully disagree. The camp IS a baby sitting service. Yes, it provides activities for the children to do with others in their age group. Camp staff supervises. Is this not what a baby sitter does?

Also, I don't think anyone who posted, on either side of this issue, ever said they don't "wanna" (sic) spend time with their children. Of course, we all want to spend time with our children, and we do. However, it is simply not reasonable, in my opinion, to expect us to spend every waking minute with those children when there is a baby sitting service on board that is included as part of the cruise fare. I am assuming you have children of your own since you are posting about this issue. May I ask how old they are? Just curious- it is a personal question, and I will understand if you don't want to share that information.

We are booked for our first Carnival cruise which leaves in 2 weeks. After having only cruised RCCL, I am most likely going to be mentally comparing the two lines. I really hope that my little ones are not dissappointed. They really love Adventure Ocean.

I have to respectfully disagree. The camp IS a baby sitting service. Yes, it provides activities for the children to do with others in their age group. Camp staff supervises. Is this not what a baby sitter does?

Also, I don't think anyone who posted, on either side of this issue, ever said they don't "wanna" (sic) spend time with their children. Of course, we all want to spend time with our children, and we do. However, it is simply not reasonable, in my opinion, to expect us to spend every waking minute with those children when there is a baby sitting service on board that is included as part of the cruise fare. I am assuming you have children of your own since you are posting about this issue. May I ask how old they are? Just curious- it is a personal question, and I will understand if you don't want to share that information.

We are booked for our first Carnival cruise which leaves in 2 weeks. After having only cruised RCCL, I am most likely going to be mentally comparing the two lines. I really hope that my little ones are not dissappointed. They really love Adventure Ocean.

Thank you, you said exactly what I said, just a lot nicer. Having someone tell me I am trying to dump my kids gets my blood boiling a little.

i have twins who will be two on monday.

the op was saying how last day the kids club not babysitting service was closed the last day for many hrs because of the family time stuff and and talent show. the camp was open all week that you could have put ur child in. the cruise line is not going to go around ur hours.

this is how daycares differ from the kids clun

daycare are open like 6 30 am to 6 30 pm or somthing of that nature.

kids club break for lunch and ect. day cares dont close for lunch and then parents having to pick the kids up for lunch and then bring them back

I think I can see what you are trying to say now. Perhaps we misundertood your point when you claimed that you are sickened by the way parents "are toward there children" (sic). Also, when you said " leave them [children] at home or bring a along a nanny" (sic) gave the impression that you felt any and all parents should spend every minute with their children and not utilize what is essentially a baby sitting service provided by the cruise line in the form of camp no matter what day or time. It is also difficult to have a logical and adult discussion when one tells others what to do. I.E. "spend time with ur child specailly if it is the last day of vacation!" (sic).

I could be way off here, but I believe the original poster was disappointed to find out that the camp hours were not what she had expected. (Not to mention the other issues with which I completely sympathize) I can understand this. Who hasn't been disappointed when something isn't quite what you thought it would be? I, for one, appreciate her post and this thread since I have never been on a Carnival cruise and haven't had the time to really research everything there is to know.

One of our favorite things to do is to sit in a lounger in the sun and just think about nothing. I agree this would be hard to do if you are thinking constantly about having to get back to pick up the kids in a short amount of time. Please don't judge others or say rude things because you don't enjoy this type of activity yourself.

On a lighter note- Happy birthday to your little ones on Monday! I cannot imagine having two at once. My three indiviually were more than enough for me! Have a super 2 year birthday day!

it just seemed that she got very mad because the kids club was not open when she wanted it be.

i am not saying all parents dump there children off just that they closed the kids club for a very good reason for the talent show and family time and she got upset beacuse it was not open just for her.

but to each there own.

Thanks for the b day wishes. my babies are truly a a gift and keep me on my toes but are just wounderful as any child is to there parents.

it just seemed that she got very mad because the kids club was not open when she wanted it be.

i am not saying all parents dump there children off just that they closed the kids club for a very good reason for the talent show and family time and she got upset beacuse it was not open just for her.

but to each there own.

Thanks for the b day wishes. my babies are truly a a gift and keep me on my toes but are just wounderful as any child is to there parents.

If you don't mean to say that, then why say it? You as a mother should know that a particularly touchy subject is our kids. And no one wants to hear someone imply that they are a bad mother. I am a stay at home mom, so my job IS my son. If you work and then take a vacation, you get to take off work. But moms never get a vacation, I am with him 24 hours a day. I want my son to experience these trips as well, but I chose a vacation alternative that offered babysitting included so I CAN get a break. So, don't make me feel bad for wanting to spend some time in the adult only area with a book during "prime sun time".

And since your babies are about to be two... then I imagine you will experience what I am going through very soon... so, good luck! With twin two year olds you are going to NEED a vacation.

If you don't mean to say that, then why say it? You as a mother should know that a particularly touchy subject is our kids. And no one wants to hear someone imply that they are a bad mother. I am a stay at home mom, so my job IS my son. If you work and then take a vacation, you get to take off work. But moms never get a vacation, I am with him 24 hours a day. I want my son to experience these trips as well, but I chose a vacation alternative that offered babysitting included so I CAN get a break. So, don't make me feel bad for wanting to spend some time in the adult only area with a book during "prime sun time".

Well said, I completely understand. :)

Archived