Just back from Independence 6 day Western Caribbean

Saturday February 28

Early flight into Ft Lauderdale and got to Port Everglades before 11:30 AM.

Had to wait longer than usual-didn't get on board until about 12:45 because of extra sanitizing and US inspection because of Norovirus the previous cruise. Just for the record, I didn't hear about any sickness this past week although we had a medflight helicopter from Key West airflight a women to hospital in Key West on the last day and I did see someone being taking off in Belize on a stretcher.

Monday

Great day at Sea. Sunny and windy. My DD and I had My Time Dining and we were scheduled for Deck 5 King Lear dining room. Loads of seating for two.

Tueday

It was mostly cloudy with bursts of sun. We spent the morning with the ship excursion to Bannister Isalnd. Very nice beach and enjoyed our day there. The water was nice and clear. They had a water trampoline and a life guard on duty.

Wednesday

Beautiful hot sunny day in Costa Maya. At many of your recommendations we took the bus to Majahual for $ 3 each and went to the beach there. We got free chairs at Pez Quadro Beach Club. Five dollars per chair if you don't buy food or drinks from them. I got a half-hour massage for $10 and I did see them change the sheets. The Nachos and Fajitas that we bought there were delicious. The Guacamole was awesome. Spent the whole day there and took a taxi back to the ship area for $2 each. The taxis wait almost right across from where we were at Pez Quadro.

Thusday

Best day. Nachi Cocom was fab/ Can't wait to go back. We got there about 9:30 and they had just turned away people without a reservation. There were several cruise ships in and I think they had prebooked their 100 although it didn't seem like it. Our waiter Carlos took good cared of us though he was working his tail off. We had bloody marys in the morning, nachos for appetizers-really good but I don't think as good as Costa Maya, we had ribs for lunch which were served in their own sweet and sour type sauce with rice, and pina coladas in the afternoon. We enjoyed the clean clear warm ocean but I don't think it would be good for children as it gets deep really quickly. I did see children in the pool. Met a few fellow cruise critic members including Pat and Rita and hubbies from So Boston.

We didn't want to leave.Our cab back to the ship felt like a tin can and it had no seat belts and he was one crazy driver. I would advise others like me to check the taxi for seat belts before they get in.

Friday

Day at Sea

It was sunny and windy and got pretty chilly in the afternoon by the pool.

Overall-

Overall loved the Independence. We had a promenade cabin on deck 5 6593 and it was right over the General Store. Although the room is larger than the interior cabins it is difficult to walk around the two beds- not much room. The room is noisy the nights they have the show and parade on the royal promenade but other than that no problem. Great window seat to watch the parade.

I read another thread that said the ship was booked at capacity but it did not feel crowded. Never had problem waiting too long for an elevator and no problem with WindJammer seating.

The Fitness Center is fantastic and has every machine you could ever want to use. We worked out every late afternoon and no crowds then.

I had previously sailed the Enchanted and I was disappointed that Independence had only a mediocre salad bar area. Enchantments was the best.

In all, the food was pretty good but again, Echantment was better. I don't know whether you lose something in quality the larger these ships get. Saw Oasis in port. Talk about huge!

Also we stayed one day/night at the Sleep Inn Dania after the cruise. Nice clean place to stay. Next to a Walgreens and across the street is a little strip mall with a Publix Supermarket, Chinese restuarant, Italian restaurant, Dollar Tree and Nail Salon. The pool area is smaller than average with only 4 lounge chairs.Plenty of regular chairs and few umbella tables. Pool was warm and clean. I didn't try hot tub. I would recommend this hotel.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to respond.

Thanks so much for posting. We have a group of 46 sailing March 14. A few questions if you don't mind...did the captain change the ship time to shore time? We are sailing the day after daylight savings time so our ship time will be two hours different than shore time if the captain doesnt adjust (we will be two hours ahead of the ports).

How was the ocean temp? We are from Houston and the gulf is still quite cold so wondering about the Caribbean.

Last question...which night is the best to do the ice show? We have late dinner seating and want to try and see the ice show a night there isnt a large production in the main theatre.

Thanks!

We were on the same sailing with Patriot Lady, and also had a great time.

The clocks were moved back 1 hour on the first night and then moved forward again the next to the last night on the ship.

If you want a great salad, go to the dining room on sea days and have their Tuti Salad. It is made to order and it is great.

We never made it into the sea, so I am not sure what it was like.

They did the ice show several times, I can check the compass for you later, so you should be able to choose a time that is good for you.

Speaking of the compass. It is designed differently. It is basically 4 pages now and it highlights what special things are going on during the day. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not

Thanks so much for posting. We have a group of 46 sailing March 14. A few questions if you don't mind...did the captain change the ship time to shore time? We are sailing the day after daylight savings time so our ship time will be two hours different than shore time if the captain doesnt adjust (we will be two hours ahead of the ports).

How was the ocean temp? We are from Houston and the gulf is still quite cold so wondering about the Caribbean.

Last question...which night is the best to do the ice show? We have late dinner seating and want to try and see the ice show a night there isnt a large production in the main theatre.

Thanks!

My husband and I will be on this sailing with you, great questions!

I was on this sailing as well. Independence was amazing! I miss being on that ship so much..a GREAT family vacation!!

Formal nights are the second night and second to last night. The ice shows were Monday and Wednesday, they put tickets out on Monday...I can't recall the times - maybe 5:00 and 7:00 (??).

In Belize we went cave tubing with Vitalino at cavetubing. bz - They were great, I highly recommend them.

In Costa Maya we also went to Majahual and relaxed on the beach at CocoCorona- our favorite day off ship. The $10 massage was INCREDIBLE! And believe me, I was skeptical when I read about it here on CC.

In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab Nat'l Park Beach and swam with dolphins.

I thought the food was wonderful...we ate in the dining room every evening because we had a beautiful table and fantastic waiters.

Hi Starlake! It would be great if you could check the cruise compass for the ice show times. It help so much as there are 46 of us and I am the designated leader to know which night is best. Thanks so much for your help!!

The tickets for the shows were issued from 9-10am at On Air on Deck 3, on Day 2.

The shows were 3 and 5 pm on Day 2 and

7 and 9pm on Day 4

I know that they had extra spaces at some of the shows, so people just went down and stood in line and were able to go that way.

I hope you have a great cruise.

If there is anything else I can answer for you just let me know.

Thanks so much! Is there another show in the main theatre on Day 4? I guess what I am asking is what will we miss if we go to the 7 pm ice show on day 4? Day two is Belize and our group has late shore excursions that day so that day won't work. Thanks again!!

Thanks so much! Is there another show in the main theatre on Day 4? I guess what I am asking is what will we miss if we go to the 7 pm ice show on day 4? Day two is Belize and our group has late shore excursions that day so that day won't work. Thanks again!!

The only things that were listed around that time on day 4 were the following:

7:00pm---Royal Poker Tournament

7:00pm----Double Odds on Craps

7:30-8:30pm----Caribbean Street Fair on the Promenade

Later at 9:00pm was the Majority Rules Game, so as far as I can see it looks like there is not much going on to interupt you for the 7:00 show.

Re- day at sea.. The day at sea was cold and windy. We went up to the top deck to watch the helicoptor take off the lady that had a heart attack to Key west.. there where tons of people watching all wearing jackets..

Saturday February 28

Early flight into Ft Lauderdale and got to Port Everglades before 11:30 AM.

Had to wait longer than usual-didn't get on board until about 12:45 because of extra sanitizing and US inspection because of Norovirus the previous cruise. Just for the record, I didn't hear about any sickness this past week although we had a medflight helicopter from Key West airflight a women to hospital in Key West on the last day and I did see someone being taking off in Belize on a stretcher.

Monday

Great day at Sea. Sunny and windy. My DD and I had My Time Dining and we were scheduled for Deck 5 King Lear dining room. Loads of seating for two.

Tueday

It was mostly cloudy with bursts of sun. We spent the morning with the ship excursion to Bannister Isalnd. Very nice beach and enjoyed our day there. The water was nice and clear. They had a water trampoline and a life guard on duty.

Wednesday

Beautiful hot sunny day in Costa Maya. At many of your recommendations we took the bus to Majahual for $ 3 each and went to the beach there. We got free chairs at Pez Quadro Beach Club. Five dollars per chair if you don't buy food or drinks from them. I got a half-hour massage for $10 and I did see them change the sheets. The Nachos and Fajitas that we bought there were delicious. The Guacamole was awesome. Spent the whole day there and took a taxi back to the ship area for $2 each. The taxis wait almost right across from where we were at Pez Quadro.

Thusday

Best day. Nachi Cocom was fab/ Can't wait to go back. We got there about 9:30 and they had just turned away people without a reservation. There were several cruise ships in and I think they had prebooked their 100 although it didn't seem like it. Our waiter Carlos took good cared of us though he was working his tail off. We had bloody marys in the morning, nachos for appetizers-really good but I don't think as good as Costa Maya, we had ribs for lunch which were served in their own sweet and sour type sauce with rice, and pina coladas in the afternoon. We enjoyed the clean clear warm ocean but I don't think it would be good for children as it gets deep really quickly. I did see children in the pool. Met a few fellow cruise critic members including Pat and Rita and hubbies from So Boston.

We didn't want to leave.Our cab back to the ship felt like a tin can and it had no seat belts and he was one crazy driver. I would advise others like me to check the taxi for seat belts before they get in.

Friday

Day at Sea

It was sunny and windy and got pretty chilly in the afternoon by the pool.

Overall-

Overall loved the Independence. We had a promenade cabin on deck 5 6593 and it was right over the General Store. Although the room is larger than the interior cabins it is difficult to walk around the two beds- not much room. The room is noisy the nights they have the show and parade on the royal promenade but other than that no problem. Great window seat to watch the parade.

I read another thread that said the ship was booked at capacity but it did not feel crowded. Never had problem waiting too long for an elevator and no problem with WindJammer seating.

The Fitness Center is fantastic and has every machine you could ever want to use. We worked out every late afternoon and no crowds then.

I had previously sailed the Enchanted and I was disappointed that Independence had only a mediocre salad bar area. Enchantments was the best.

In all, the food was pretty good but again, Echantment was better. I don't know whether you lose something in quality the larger these ships get. Saw Oasis in port. Talk about huge!

Also we stayed one day/night at the Sleep Inn Dania after the cruise. Nice clean place to stay. Next to a Walgreens and across the street is a little strip mall with a Publix Supermarket, Chinese restuarant, Italian restaurant, Dollar Tree and Nail Salon. The pool area is smaller than average with only 4 lounge chairs.Plenty of regular chairs and few umbella tables. Pool was warm and clean. I didn't try hot tub. I would recommend this hotel.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to respond.

Debbie,

Just sitting here at FLL waiting for a flight that has been delayed 4 X. Bad weather in Boston

Glad you were on this cruise. The 2nd half of our b2b on 3/6 did not have the greatest weather.

Only 1 sunny beach day. Lots of rain.

We all agree Nachi Cocom was the best but we are taking your other suggestions for our

Allure cruise 2/23/10.

Pat

We are heading out on Independence of the Sea on 4/28 in celebration of the special friendships of 5 high school sr girls who will be going away to college. The families are all going including 3 younger siblings. We really want this to be special and none of us are crusie experts. My family has been on a Disney Cruise one time. The excursion options are overwhelming and we want to make the right choices. Thinking of things such as Fury Catamaran Snorkel and beach break,Passion Island by catamaran, or Swim w Dolphins. Then in CM maybe Canopy experience or catamaraon sail & snorkel or beach power snorkel.

bottomline, we are confused on what to do!

What is the dress expecation for a 13 year old boy on formal night?

The site says not to arrive before 2PM to get on the boat, is that accurate?

ALSO...open to any tips or suggestions from all of you cruise experts!!:)

You can usually be on the ship by 11:30 or 12:00. We were delayed by extra cleaning the day of our cruise, but that doesn't happen often.

If you are doing things as a large group, you might want to go to Playa Mia. There is plenty for all to do

Archived