Liquor Store in Southampton

RSVE821

I'll be staying near the train station (Ibis Hotel) pre-cruise and was wondering if there is a liquor (not wine) store within walking distance.

Thanks!

The West Quay Retail Park is right beside the hotel. Ask the desk staff for a supermarket (I think there is a Tesco there, if not Asda[part of Walmart]is only 10 mins away). Don't forget our supermarkets sell alcohol, whereas US ones generally don't.

Simon

The West Quay Retail Park is right beside the hotel. Ask the desk staff for a supermarket (I think there is a Tesco there, if not Asda[part of Walmart]is only 10 mins away). Don't forget our supermarkets sell alcohol, whereas US ones generally don't.

Simon

That's perfect! Thanks, Simon.

Simon

Nearest is Asda, 2 mins. - front door is in Portland Terrace, which is up a steep hill, but another entrance opp. coach station & use their elevator.

West Quay is a retail mall, a couple of minutes further, same direction, the supermarket there is Marks & Spencer (not Tesco), access from your direction is through the John Lewis store.

As Simon's answer, both are supermarkets, both sell alcohol. Asda quicker & cheaper, M&S if you want to browse the mall.

JB

I'd say a bit more than 2 mins JB. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ibis+hotel+southampton&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.089889,37.177734&ie=UTF8&hq=ibis+hotel&hnear=Southampton,+UK&ll=50.905671,-1.410037&spn=0.003755,0.009077&t=h&z=17

The Ibis is the building to the left of the red 'A' and the Asda is the green quadrilateral building directly to the right, between Fitzhugh St and Portland Terrace.

Simon

I'd say a bit more than 2 mins JB. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ibis+hotel+southampton&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.089889,37.177734&ie=UTF8&hq=ibis+hotel&hnear=Southampton,+UK&ll=50.905671,-1.410037&spn=0.003755,0.009077&t=h&z=17

The Ibis is the building to the left of the red 'A' and the Asda is the green quadrilateral building directly to the right, between Fitzhugh St and Portland Terrace.

Simon

Your points of reference are correct, Simon.

Mr Google takes 5 mins to walk between the two.

But he's as slow at walking as he is at mapping :D

Regards, JB

We will be staying at Jurys Inn. Are any of the stores walking distance?

Thanks for your help.

Judy

Your hotel occupies the centre of a traffic island (only a very few guests get run over each day :D)

A 5 min walk diagonally across Andrews Park opposite your hotel is the top of the main shopping street, called Above Bar, which leads down to the historic medieval Bargate, the main entrance into the original walled city beyond.

A right turn at the Bargate takes you to the big West Quays mall, some 10 -15 mins from your hotel.

Alternatively there are a few historic buildings beyond the Bargate.

JB

We too will be staying at Jury's Inn. I've had a look at the Google map and it looks like the Old Fat Cat pub is an easy walk from the hotel. Would that be a good location for our pre-cruise night in Southampton?

I suspect not.

A students pub. Karaoke. Pool table. Loud. Brash.

Ditto others nearby such as the Hobbitt & Jesters.

The area east of your hotel (St Mary's / Onslow Rd) is a bit grim.

I don't know many Southampton city pubs, I do my drinking in country pubs. Doubtless the hotel can suggest decent pubs nearby, probably in the Bedford Place area, but for a proper British pub :

Red Lion in High St (below the Bargate)

or near there the Duke of Wellington in Bugle St, both about .75 mile.

or the Cowherds in the Avenue (on the Common, ideal on warm evening) about a mile the other way.

Guess they need a cab ride, one way at least. But failing other suggestions I reckon one of those is your best bet.

JB

Nearest is Asda, 2 mins. - front door is in Portland Terrace, which is up a steep hill, but another entrance opp. coach station & use their elevator.

West Quay is a retail mall, a couple of minutes further, same direction, the supermarket there is Marks & Spencer (not Tesco), access from your direction is through the John Lewis store.

As Simon's answer, both are supermarkets, both sell alcohol. Asda quicker & cheaper, M&S if you want to browse the mall.

JB

Marks and Spencer do not generally sell branded spirits though, so if you want a particular make best to stick to the Supermarkets or an Off Licence.

Not too far from where you are staying is the Majestic Wine Warehouse on Western Esplanade, although they sell mainly wine the do also sell spirits and beer.

http://www.majestic.co.uk/storelocator/store-details/id-259

They do local deliveries, I am not sure what their policy is but you may be able to arrange a delivery to the hotel.

Seatheworldbysea.

John Bull is right avoid the Old Fat Cat at all cost, less studenty these days and more 'yobbish'.

What day are you staying overnight and this may help me suggest a pub?

If you dont mind a taxi the cowheards on the avenue is a perfect choice.

Seatheworldbysea.

John Bull is right avoid the Old Fat Cat at all cost, less studenty these days and more 'yobbish'.

What day are you staying overnight and this may help me suggest a pub?

If you dont mind a taxi the cowheards on the avenue is a perfect choice.

Thanks! Great to get help from a local. There will be 6 of us so it will take 2 taxis. We'll stay overnight on Sunday July 4 as our Norwegian Fjords cruise begins Monday July 5.

Daughter and her family (grandsons 15 & 13) will stay at Premier Inn City Center on Friday July 16, joining us for the July 17 British Isles cruise. Can you recommend a place for them to have dinner that night?

Thanks! Great to get help from a local. There will be 6 of us so it will take 2 taxis. We'll stay overnight on Sunday July 4 as our Norwegian Fjords cruise begins Monday July 5.

Daughter and her family (grandsons 15 & 13) will stay at Premier Inn City Center on Friday July 16, joining us for the July 17 British Isles cruise. Can you recommend a place for them to have dinner that night?

In-town suggestions where I've eaten & survived :):

Bouzy Rouge - atmospheric cellar restaurant, alongside the Bargate, easy walk.

Ennios - Italian, by Town Quay.

Olive Tree - Oxford St.

Oxford Brasserie - Oxford St

Langley's Bistro - Bedford Place.

All walkable or v short taxi ride.

JB

nb Cowherds pub - some while since I've been there, now a brewery chain pub, some poor reviews.

In-town suggestions where I've eaten & survived :):

Bouzy Rouge - atmospheric cellar restaurant, alongside the Bargate, easy walk.

Ennios - Italian, by Town Quay.

Olive Tree - Oxford St.

Oxford Brasserie - Oxford St

Langley's Bistro - Bedford Place.

All walkable or v short taxi ride.

JB

nb Cowherds pub - some while since I've been there, now a brewery chain pub, some poor reviews.

All the places JB have suggested are very good, and I would agree re The Cowherds.

The is also Oxfords in Bedford place (different to the Brasserie)

If you would like Indian food then there is The Tiffin Club in Oxford St.

As there will be teenagers they might prefer to go Pizza Express also in Oxford St or TGI Fridays in West Quay Retail Park, not my choice but I know teenagers enjoy them.

I am sure they all have websites that can be found by googling.

Mrs B

On a Sunday you will be fine travelling around most places, so again i would recommend Cowheards. I havent eaten there for about 2 years but when i did it was very nice. You will get a similar type of pub atmosphere without having to travel outside the city centre very far, definitely take a taxi though and they will call you one for the way back.

On a Friday night JB has suggested some good places for your children and granchildren. Although i would say to avoid the Bedford Place area on a Friday night and it can be very drunken, loud and boisterous. Lots of pubs and clubs.

I would also say to them to take cabs everywhere in the evening and again not try to walk. There are some nice parks near to were they are staying which are fine to go into during the day, but not really to walk through at night. Not trying to scare you, just a word of caution.

There is a Pizza Express in Oxford Street which would be good for the children, however i have always expierenced bad service there! As has been said there are lots of nice resturants in Oxford Street although i would avoid the Tiffin Club. I found it to be pretencious food at expensive prices. Just my expierence.

Here is the oxford street website

http://www.oxfordstreetsouthampton.co.uk/

Another nice resturant is Pilgrim House, which is near Oxford Street. This is a chinese resturant and has the option of al e carte or all you can eat. Any taxi would be able to easily take you there and they will call you one to pick you up.

Hope this is enough information. If you need any more information of specific food type resturant just ask!

• 5 years later...