Laundry Prices- From HAL

tamrahs

I have been following the threads regarding laundry prices-especially the unlimited package. Here is the response from HAL. The price does say "per person" not "per cabin", but like a previous poster said, I don't think they are going to sort everything in the bag to try to determine if the bag contains more than one persons clothes.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding our laundry facilities onboard.

Self-service launderettes are not available onboard the Eurodam, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam. All other ships, including the Prinsendam do have self-service laundry facilities available.

The facilities consist of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards. There is a charge for the use of the laundry facilities and it is coin operated. To wash it is $2 per load, to dry it is $2 per load. Prices are subject to change without prior notice. Laundry detergent is dispensed automatically into the washer. Iron, and ironing boards are provided at no cost.

Laundry rooms are closed and locked at night.

For your convenience, we offer full laundry and dry cleaning service on board all of our vessels. You will find laundry bags and current price lists in your closet.

Unlimited laundry and pressing packages are available for:

7-day sailing $45 per person.

10-13 day sailing $70 per person.

14-16 day sailing $95 per person.

17-21 day sailing $120 per person.

Charges may vary for Holiday sailings.

There is also an unlimited pressing only package for $30 per person for cruises up to 20-days long. Additional fees may apply for cruises 21-days and over.

For $20 per bag, we will wash and dry your clothes. Laundry bags can be found in your closet within your stateroom. This package does not include pressing or dry cleaning.

There is a 48-hour turnaround time for this service and it can only be purchased onboard. These offers are only valid until 2-days before the end of the cruise.

All rates are subject to change without prior notice.

For safety reasons we ask you refrain from ironing in your stateroom.

The per person quote is completely inaccurate. The cost is per cabin. I was quoted the per person rate by HAL also.

The front desk, however, quoted per cabin.

We used the unlimited package last month, I was quoted $49.00, however, the statement never reflected any laundry charge. Someone in the laundry goofed. We were not in a Suite, just a category V.

Edited by Typhoon1

We had the unlimited laundry service on our recent 20 day Noordam cruise. It was either $120 or $140 for the 20 days. Not per person; but, per stateroom.

Agree 100%! I still have my shipboard account statement from our November cruise on the "O", and we were charged $120.00 TOTAL for the "Unlimited Laundry" package. Since we incurred just the singular $120.00 charged to our cabin, and I sent both hubby and my laundry - usually on a daily basis- I would have to assume that this was a "per cabin" charge.

All the laundry was done for both of us with no questions asked and no problems whatsoever. And - it was done extremely well with no shrinkage, no fading and no wrinkles. The 'unmentionables' came back neatley folded in a lovely basket covered with tissue paper and closed with a little gold seal; everything else came back pressed and on hangers - even my nightgown!! :D

Our past experience on two Oosterdam cruises to AK has been the price per cabin, not per person, as well. And it is a bargain! We're about to go on our first 14 night cruise (HAL Amsterdam to Alaska) on May 31st, and I intend on only packing one week's worth of clothes, taking full advantage of the unlimited laundry. Even if the cost WERE per person, it is absolutely worth it to us - no packing nightmares.

Agree 100%! I still have my shipboard account statement from our November cruise on the "O", and we were charged $120.00 TOTAL for the "Unlimited Laundry" package. Since we incurred just the singular $120.00 charged to our cabin, and I sent both hubby and my laundry - usually on a daily basis- I would have to assume that this was a "per cabin" charge.

All the laundry was done for both of us with no questions asked and no problems whatsoever. And - it was done extremely well with no shrinkage, no fading and no wrinkles. The 'unmentionables' came back neatley folded in a lovely basket covered with tissue paper and closed with a little gold seal; everything else came back pressed and on hangers - even my nightgown!! :D

My husband uses V-neck white Tshirts as undershirts. When we were on the Zaandam and used the bag special to send our clothes to the ship's laundry, all of his undershirts came back, ironed, on hangars. They'd never looked so good. :)

We plan to use the 'unlimited' laundry special on our upcoming 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam even though there's a self-service laundromat aboard the Amsterdam. On a port-intensive itinerary I don't want to be trying to get a machine.

Edited by NMLady

My husband uses V-neck white Tshirts as undershirts. When we were on the Zaandam and used the bag special to send our clothes to the ship's laundry, all of his undershirts came back, ironed, on hangars. They'd never looked so good. :)

We plan to use the 'unlimited' laundry special on our upcoming 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam even though there's a self-service laundromat aboard the Amsterdam. On a port-intensive itinerary I don't want to be trying to get a machine.

I quite agree. Why take up a lovely sea day in a laundromat? And on a port-intensive cruise, it would be very difficult to try to fit in doing a load or two of wash. And ...why would you even want to?? :confused: You are on vacation, after all! :)

The wonderful service from the folks in the ship's laundry is one of the (many) reasons we don't mind the automatically-added gratuity on our ship board account. I know some of that pooled gratuity will find it's way to those great folks working in the laundry & other areas of the ship that provide that wonderful Holland America "touch" to all us lucky passengers!

Ironed your hubby's undershirt's, did they? Why am I not surprised?? ;)

Have a wonderful Alaskan cruise. You will love it! Smooth Sailing!! :D

And ...why would you even want to?? :confused: You are on vacation, after all! :)
Well, duh - since I'm on vacation, it isn't MY idea of a good time to do hand laundry in the bathroom sink. Not everything goes out to the ships laundry. :rolleyes: Yes, even when in a suite or with 'unlimited' laundry, there are still some things that I don't trust to the ship's laundry that I'd rather just throw in the washer myself. What you do is up to you, but no need for snide comments about those who do things differently. It doesn't affect your vacation if others prefer to wash some things themselves. :rolleyes:

Does this price ($120 for 20 days) include the dry cleaning as well. Tuxes and dresses need to be dry cleaned. $120 is high for just shirts and underwear. The post mentions dry cleaning and pressing but is vague on dry cleaning charges. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Well, duh - since I'm on vacation, it isn't MY idea of a good time to do hand laundry in the bathroom sink. Not everything goes out to the ships laundry. :rolleyes: Yes, even when in a suite or with 'unlimited' laundry, there are still some things that I don't trust to the ship's laundry that I'd rather just throw in the washer myself. What you do is up to you, but no need for snide comments about those who do things differently. It doesn't affect your vacation if others prefer to wash some things themselves. :rolleyes:

I didn't think her remark about being on vacation was snide.

I DO handwash some items that I don't want to send to the ship's laundry. But I'd rather spend 15 minutes a few nights handwashing and hanging some items rather than wait for an empty machine in the laundry room, then make sure I'm there to empty it and back again to empty the dryer. If you prefer to do that, fine, but I still don't think her remark was snide.

Edited by NMLady

Does this price ($120 for 20 days) include the dry cleaning as well. Tuxes and dresses need to be dry cleaned. $120 is high for just shirts and underwear. The post mentions dry cleaning and pressing but is vague on dry cleaning charges. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

It's $140 for 20 days and does NOT include dry cleaning. The shirts and slacks come back nicely ironed. I think they go through a machine called a mangle (that's a real misnomer since it actually presses everything, just like ironing).

You might decide that the 'bag' price of $25 is more appropriate for your needs.

Mary Ellen,

In no way did I intend my remarks to be snide or offensive to anyone. I sincerely apologize if I have offended you in any way. It was a totally tongue-in-cheek comment, kind of like the thing one of my grand-kids says to me from time-to-time, when they believe they are stating the obvious and I have missed their point.

I also have a sweater and a blouse that I normally cruise with, that I certainly do NOT send to the laundry as they are "Hand-wash Only". I only meant that I would rather not spend a day in a laundromat versus a day doing something relaxing & fun on the ship.

Please accept my sincere apology. :o

Edited by luvs2travl

PS: I wish you only the best in all of your future travels, and I hope that we get the chance to meet and become friends one day!

Edited by luvs2travl

I have been following the threads regarding laundry prices-especially the unlimited package. Here is the response from HAL. The price does say "per person" not "per cabin", but like a previous poster said, I don't think they are going to sort everything in the bag to try to determine if the bag contains more than one persons clothes.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding our laundry facilities onboard.

Self-service launderettes are not available onboard the Eurodam, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam. All other ships, including the Prinsendam do have self-service laundry facilities available.

The facilities consist of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards. There is a charge for the use of the laundry facilities and it is coin operated. To wash it is $2 per load, to dry it is $2 per load. Prices are subject to change without prior notice. Laundry detergent is dispensed automatically into the washer. Iron, and ironing boards are provided at no cost.

Laundry rooms are closed and locked at night.

For your convenience, we offer full laundry and dry cleaning service on board all of our vessels. You will find laundry bags and current price lists in your closet.

Unlimited laundry and pressing packages are available for:

7-day sailing $45 per person.

10-13 day sailing $70 per person.

14-16 day sailing $95 per person.

17-21 day sailing $120 per person.

Charges may vary for Holiday sailings.

There is also an unlimited pressing only package for $30 per person for cruises up to 20-days long. Additional fees may apply for cruises 21-days and over.

For $20 per bag, we will wash and dry your clothes. Laundry bags can be found in your closet within your stateroom. This package does not include pressing or dry cleaning.

There is a 48-hour turnaround time for this service and it can only be purchased onboard. These offers are only valid until 2-days before the end of the cruise.

All rates are subject to change without prior notice.

For safety reasons we ask you refrain from ironing in your stateroom.

Wow! Have the prices really increased, yikes. On a 10 night we paid $70.00 unlimited for laundry and $30.00 unlimited pressing for 2 people in a stateroom, not one person. So this was $100.00 in 2008 (we actually paid $99.00 total). So, that price is now $140.00 for 10 nights...

I would not be surprised if Guest Services has this wrong. They did in 2008 and I can't believe they would not know the prices 2 years later..It is probably the correct prices but per stateroom.

Edited by Jade13

Wow! Have the prices really increased, yikes. On a 10 night we paid $70.00 unlimited for laundry and $30.00 unlimited pressing for 2 people in a stateroom, not one person. So this was $100.00 in 2008 (we actually paid $99.00 total). So, that price is now $140.00 for 10 nights...

I would not be surprised if Guest Services has this wrong. They did in 2008 and I can't believe they would not know the prices 2 years later..It is probably the correct prices but per stateroom.

$70 for a 10 day cruise is right for unlimited laundry-- and it is per cabin not person so the prices have not risen at all

We love the unlimited laundry service - it means we can take less clothes, leaving more room for souvenirs(or shoes)! We were on the Rotterdam in October where we paid $90 for the 2 weeks and we sent out both "his" and "hers" clothing, without a problem.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

We are taking our kids on this cruise. Surely the $7 per day is not going to cover all the laundry for four people in the cabin. I would love to use this service, but I'm nervous that at the end of my cruise, instead of a bill for $49, I'll be billed $196. Has anyone used the unlimited laundry with more than two people in a cabin?

We cruised in Dec/January and both cruises we chose the unlimited laundry option. There were three of us in the cabin and both times there was only one charge for the laundry. First time $98 and 2nd $95. That was for a 17 and 14 night cruise. We were never questioned about the amount of laundry we created and actually received everything back the next day every time which was much faster that what the quoted turnaround time was.

I was wondering how the gentle is the laundering on the ship? Any shrinkage?

We are cruising for the first time in June to Alaska with my family. Normally I wash all our clothing in cold water at home and wondered if that would be a problem for us. I would hate to have my jeans shrink and not be able to wear them. :D

I was wondering how the gentle is the laundering on the ship? Any shrinkage?

We are cruising for the first time in June to Alaska with my family. Normally I wash all our clothing in cold water at home and wondered if that would be a problem for us. I would hate to have my jeans shrink and not be able to wear them. :D

It is NOT gentle. The clothes are washed in HOT water in commercial machines and are dryed in HOT commercial dryers.

I've never had trouble with shrinkage but we don't wear jeans so I don't know how those would be. My husband wears durable trousers from a uniform company (WearGuard/Aramark) and wears collared shirts from the same company and those do fine in the ship's laundry. So do his cotton under-tee's and his cotton briefs. When he wore regular socks I always sent those to the ship's laundry. But now he wears compression socks so I wash them by hand in the sink and hang them on the clothesline in the shower.

My slacks have also always done fine in the laundry. I don't own any linen ones. My tee shirts have never shrunk. For my blouses I only send the colorfast ones. The others I either take home dirty or handwash in the sink if there's no laundromat aboard. (Most ships don't have one any more). I also send my cotton panties and socks to the ship's laundry but I wash my bra's in the sink and hang them on the clothesline in the shower.

Since we'll sign up for unlimited laundry for our 14 day Alaska cruise in May, except for my dressiest clothes, I'll only take items I can send to the ship's laundry. My turtlenecks have weathered the laundry on past cruises. Hubby's flannel shirts are old enough that I doubt they'll shrink, but if they do, it's not too much of a problem since they're about ready to be discarded anyway.

Having unlimited laundry will really cut down on packing.

Edited by NMLady

I sent everything off to the laundry. The only problems I had were:

• the padding in one of my bras is a bit funny now
  • bright pink t-shirts don't seem to react well

I have had a problem with hot pink t-shirts on two different cruiselines, they seem to get a bluish tinge to them after a couple of washes, the first time it came back it wasn't really noticeable but the 2nd time it had blue patches and and an overall appearance. Seems to have washed out at home now but still not as pink as before.

No laundry problems with shrinkage, I think it was the dining rooms fault. :D I put jeans out and they were still ok, just the usual straight after washing tightness.

• 3 years later...

Updating this thread with current prices: as of May 2013, bags were (still) $20 each, and unlimited service was $49 PER CABIN on a 7 day Alaska trip.

Dress shirts came back pressed, but the collars were pressed in the wrong place.

Undergarments came back quite rumpled and stiff, as though they had been dried while compressed.

Edited by traveltoomuch

Updating this thread with current prices: as of May 2013, bags were (still) $20 each, and unlimited service was $49 PER CABIN on a 7 day Alaska trip.

Dress shirts came back pressed, but the collars were pressed in the wrong place.

Undergarments came back quite rumpled and stiff, as though they had been dried while compressed.

Your are correct -- it is per cabin.

Too funny!!

This is SOOO different than my experience in March, 2013, on the Zaandam. My undies were returned nicely folded in a tissue package and the shorts and shirts (knit and cotton/linen blend) were hung and pressed nicely. I guess it just depends on the laundress du jour.

Edited by Kathie859
fat fingers