Damaged luggage

designerlb

Just wondering how often this happens, we just returned from the Carnival Dream, one of my brand new bags from Travelpro had the handle completely ripped out and a baseball size hole in the smaller one, I do have travel insurance but wondering how that works, one of the bags was purchased last summer and the other is probably five years old, any information would be helpful. The insurance that I purchased is from Travel Guard, thanks for any information....

Just wondering how often this happens, we just returned from the Carnival Dream, one of my brand new bags from Travelpro had the handle completely ripped out and a baseball size hole in the smaller one, I do have travel insurance but wondering how that works, one of the bags was purchased last summer and the other is probably five years old, any information would be helpful. The insurance that I purchased is from Travel Guard, thanks for any information....

Sorry to hear your luggage experienced damage... hope nothing was taken from it ! :)

Call Travel Guard and file a claim is the best advice I can offer or perhaps READ your policy for clarification before calling if you have it still.

Hopefully you filed some kind of claim with the Port when you picked-up the Luggage? If you have receipts for the Luggage that would be GREAT. Check the end of your Policy, usually they list what kind of mdocumentation you'll be needing for various types of clauims, then call the Insurance to file the claim. ken

I def. didn't think about proving if my luggage actually got damaged. I think I will be taking pictures of it before hand it over to the porters.

Some may say this is silly, but hey.....I paid for travel insurance, if something legit happens to my bags, it would be nice to use what I paid for.

One of our suitcases had a large gash in it after a cruise a couple of years ago. The damage wasn't on the cruise but somewhere between the pier and our home airport....probably at the hands of the airline.

I submitted a report at the airport with American Airlines and they would do nothing. I apparently had to do this, however, to show the insurance company that I had tried (I had Access America.)

Access America would do nothing without some type of proof of purchase. My Travelpro bag was about 3 years old and I did not have a receipt. I was able to come up with an old VISA statement however, and they were willing to take that along with some photos. I also sent a statement from a local repair shop saying that it could not be fixed at any cost.

A lot of messing around! But I did get $150 back from the insurance company when it was all done.

Now I keep all luggage receipts until I know I'm getting rid of the bag!

I def. didn't think about proving if my luggage actually got damaged. I think I will be taking pictures of it before hand it over to the porters.

Some may say this is silly, but hey.....I paid for travel insurance, if something legit happens to my bags, it would be nice to use what I paid for.

and in the Passageway the Final nite, if you do not self disembark! ken

Cruising is very hard on luggage.

We drive to ports so the damage occurs between dropping off luggage and getting to our cabin. We take our luggage off the ship ourselves so we know exactly where it happens.

Do not know if it is the clowns we tip for doing almost nothing at the pier (longshoreman) except taking a few bucks per bag or Carnival baggage handlers but the days of us using expensive luggage for cruises is long gone.

I checked Travel Guard's webpage and I see they provide coverage for lost and stolen bags, but don't see anything for dammaged luggage. I have had bags damaged by the airlines before and in one case they provided a new and nicer bag and in the other they sent the bag off to be repaired. I'd contact Carnival and see what they can do for you.

We just bought all new luggage, and you are right, porters and luggage handlers are very hard on suitcases. We were walking down the hall the last night of one cruise and watched as a crewman repeatedly tried to pull a full rack of luggage through a doorway, banging it hard against the doorjambs. My husband jumped in and helped rearrange some pieces of luggage so it would fit through.

I put the receipts for our new luggage right in the pocket of the luggage so I can find them easily. Hopefully they will last a few cruises!

I agree with Golfadj. Our luggage is almost always delivered to our cabin like it has been thru a football game. Our last cruise in Janaury, when I opened one bag, it was full of black, plastic pieces. The thick black piece that goes around the inside of my bag to give it support, was all busted to pieces.

On the same cruise, my son's girlfriend had her new luggage's handle that telescopes up and down for when you pull the luggage behind you, was jammed and couldn't be pulled back up. You could feel the frame was bent.

On the cruise before that one, they had knocked off one of the little feet thingys that the luggage has to have to stand on when the luggage is upright. Now that bag can only be upright if you lean it against a wall so it doesn't fall.

I will never invest alot of money in luggage again when I have to replace what I have now. It just makes it that much worse when they tear it up. :mad:

. . . we just returned from the Carnival Dream, one of my brand new bags from Travelpro had the handle completely ripped out and a baseball size hole in the smaller one . . .

You may already be aware, but just thought I'd offer this info:

If your Travelpro luggage happens to be the Platinum 5 or Platinum 6 models, then you have nothing to worry about, as the damage is covered by Travelpro.

I invested in numerous pieces of this, and although paying a heck of a lot more for it than other brands, I had the peace of mind that future damage wouldn't become and issue for as long as I owned it.

When I took my cruise on the Valor last year, we were on the side of the ship watching the dock workers load the luggage onto the ships in the big bins. Low and behold, a piece of luggage fell off the front of the bin---I was hoping it wasn't mine at this point--luckily another dock worker saw the bag and grabbed it! BUT I wonder how many times this happens and the luggage gets run over by the forklift? That is sure to do some major damage to your bag!!!:eek:

My wheel was broken off when it was delivered to my stateroom on my latest RCCL cruise.

Nothing I can do about it, huh?

Shoulda purchased that dam insurance, huh :)

2909600470104126917S425x425Q85.jpg

I was expecting a picture of a damaged bag. She does not appear to be damaged.

When I took my cruise on the Valor last year, we were on the side of the ship watching the dock workers load the luggage onto the ships in the big bins. Low and behold, a piece of luggage fell off the front of the bin---I was hoping it wasn't mine at this point--luckily another dock worker saw the bag and grabbed it! BUT I wonder how many times this happens and the luggage gets run over by the forklift? That is sure to do some major damage to your bag!!!:eek:

On our cruise on the Explorer of the Seas in 2001 they drove the fork from the forklift right through our suitcase. It was destroyed.

We were doing the eastern caribbean and when we got to St Thomas Royal Caribbean went into town and bought us a new American Tourister to replace it.

Sadly that doesn't happen anymore.

We buy the cheapest luggage we can get since it's damaged pretty fast. Usually get 2-3 cruises out of a set before replacing again.

Bill

She looks a lot better than the suitcase. Next time ditch the suitcase. LOL

Sorry, that picture is in my signature.

Thank you for posting the picture of my bag!

By golly, I would hope that I looked a little more put together than that ravaged suitcase.

Yep, that's my poor pink suitcase that I got as a graduation gift. I guess I can now go purchase the zebra print suitcase from Sam Moons in Dallas. Plenty of pink suitcases out there, not too many zebras. Surely that will ease my disappointment of relief when I see a bag on the carousel to find out it's not mine. :)

My wheel was broken off when it was delivered to my stateroom on my latest RCCL cruise.

Nothing I can do about it, huh?

Shoulda purchased that dam insurance, huh :)

We had the same thing happen on our last Carnival cruise. Between when we dropped the suitcase off with the porter and it was delivered to our room, one of the wheels was broken off. We went to Guest Services and reported it immediately, and later that day they delivered a letter stating we had reported the incident, and who to contact at Carnival after our cruise with either a repair bill or replacement cost. We did just that and were reimbursed.

The key being that we reported the incident (and took photos of the luggage) immediately after the damaged bag was delivered to the room.

- Sharon -

Archived