Digital Camera's?

zurmoly

From what I understand from some of my school professers is once you get to 3.2 or higher you really do not see much of a difference in the pictures unless you plan on using it for professional reasons. I have a 2.0 (wanting to upgrade) & the pictures turn out pretty decent.

What's go for others is not necessarily good for you. Go to your favorite search engine, and search on "buying a digital camera". Here's a good article from PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/bguide/0,guid,12,page,2,00.asp

As far as resolution, the articles says, "Rules of thumb: A 2-megapixel camera can usually produce a pretty 5-by-7 print; a 3-megapixel camera, an 8-by-10; and a 4-megapixel (or greater) model, an 11-by-17." However, 5mp is pretty cheap now. The advantage of that is that you can crop the photo. If you crop a 5mp photo a bit, it becomes a 4mp or 3mp photo pretty fast. Think of the "MP" as a million points of light that make up the photo. The more you take away, the less you're able to blow up the photo.

Okay the best way I can explain bout digital zoom is: It is cropping your picture and zooming in on the crop section effectivly (sp) lowering the your reseloution(sp). It is the same as enlarging your digital picture. If you do it to much you start pixitaling your picture and the picture starts to lose its sharpness.

Hope this little bit helpsmore than hinders !:D

SuzieB

Yes, that does help. (I guess!) It's frustrating that the camera companies sell this like it's a good thing. I used it quite a bit on a recent cruise and some of the pictures were great and did just what I wanted but some weren't. Will have to keep experimenting I guess. Thanks for trying to explain it.

Cruisegirl, digital zoom uses the camera's hardware to enlarge the pixels. Do a google search for: what is "digital zoom"

Quote:

The pixels (picture element; points in a graphic image) are enlarged using the camera’s hardware, often resulting in loss of detail.

Cruisegirl that is the nature of the beast with photgraphy. Some Pictures turn out and some don't. I go with most will not make the muster to me but i will get a few to turn out and I will be very happy with them. So out of 100 pictures I will get 10 to 20 that I like. It was the same way with my film camera. Pro's that do action shots work the same way. So you are doing it the right way by expermenting with it. Try differant things and also try differant angles. So instead of 1 picture of what you are shooting get 10 differant shoots of the object you want a picture of.

Good Luck

I use a Canon G1 which works great. I will be handing this to my son and going with the Canon G6 by the time I'm on our next cruise on the Navigator 4-9-05.

I bought my daughter a canon A75 which runs around $190.00 and was happy at the quality of pictures the camera took. These cameras use a compactflash card and I use a reader (about $15.00) connected to my computer which acts as another hard drive. I would suggest to get a 512meg card though because of the pictures you will want to take on the cruise.

Good Luck

zurmoly: did you get the printer dock? We bought my DD a kodak 3.2 with a printer dock for Christmas and it's really cool! She can print very good quality 4x6 pictures in a snap! She also uses the software to email pictures to all her friends--that camera goes everywhere with her. The paper is a little expensive it costs $25 for 40 sheets + a new cartridge at Circuit City. Let me know how you like the 5.0 Kodak, we are thinking about buying that model for us the we can both use the printer dock.

Cindyrella--You can get the Kodak photo paper/cartridge from Amazon.com for around $40 (free shipping and no local sales tax) for 80 pictures.

We have the Kodak DX 6490 and have been very happy with it. It has 4.0 mp and a 10x optical zoom. I wanted a camera that I could get good distance shots without distorting the picture too much.

Here's a good picture:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/232319471/232320230wZcGin

It was taken on the beach (not in the water) in "sports" mode.

Here's also a good "close-up" of our cabin (the one with the flag) taken from standing on the dock.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/212146923/212159589fdIRMi

I just purchased the Kodak CX 7430 digital camera to take on our upcoming cruise to the Mexican Riviera. This is my first digital. If anyone has one I would appreciate any good tips you can give me.

They are supposed to be user friendly. I haven't had much time to fool with it yet, so my first big experience with the camera will be on the cruise. Also what would be the purpose of changing to any other settings if you are on automatic? When would you use the other available settings? I thought if you stayed on automatic the camera would make all the best settings for you.

Some one told me that you shouldn't delete "bad" pictures from the disk while you're still taking pictures. Seems doing so leaves something there that affects the next picture you take. Is that true? This person recommended leaving everything on until you transfer the pictures to the computer and/or get prints made and THEN re-format the disk to remove everything. I've always deleted pictures as I went along so am curious if I shouldn't have been doing that.

My husband and I have the Kodak DX4530 5.0 MP and love it, the kids have the 3.1 MP one and it is easy to email pic to each other. My oldest just took a trip to Mexico and she took a zillion pics and didn't run out of space. We bought the 512 MB card for the memory. Good luck on your choice. We bought ours after a lot of research, it was J.D. Powers choice for ease of use and customer satisfaction. Hope that is helpful.

Some one told me that you shouldn't delete "bad" pictures from the disk while you're still taking pictures. Seems doing so leaves something there that affects the next picture you take. Is that true? This person recommended leaving everything on until you transfer the pictures to the computer and/or get prints made and THEN re-format the disk to remove everything. I've always deleted pictures as I went along so am curious if I shouldn't have been doing that.

Shouldn't be a problem. Don't worry about it. Also, if you want to delete all the images to start fresh, try formatting instead of deleting. It's faster. Good shooting,

I just purchased the Kodak CX 7430 digital camera to take on our upcoming cruise to the Mexican Riviera. This is my first digital. <snip> I haven't had much time to fool with it yet, so my first big experience with the camera will be on the cruise.

I don't have this camera, but I would be sure to use it before your cruise. Take it to work, and photograph your co-workers. Do photos all around the house, and put them on CD for safe deposit storage....great if you have an insurance loss. Anyway, there's lots of photo projects you can do. Try to get as much practice in as possible. I bought a new camera a few months ago, that I've not used much. I kicked myself, when I made mistakes on a little we just took over the weekend. Hopefully, I'll be ready for the big trips!

By the way, you'll find a lot of discussion about this camera at DPreview.com.

Shouldn't be a problem. Don't worry about it. Also, if you want to delete all the images to start fresh, try formatting instead of deleting. It's faster. Good shooting,

What is "formatting"? This was a good question since I've not bought our camera yet. This purchase will be our first digital. Everything is new to me.

Gail J.

Think of the memory card as a hard drive, and the camera is the computer. There will be a menu button somewhere on the camera where you can get into the functions of the camera, setting reselutions, ASA rating, etc. You will find the format function in that menu.

Hope that helps

There are so many brands of digital cameras out there and so many features, that when I was looking to upgrade from my ancient Apple QuickTake 200 (640x480 pictures - 1/3 megapixel), I first took a look at what was most important to me in a camera. Here's what I decided:

1. Batteries - I wanted a camera that took AA batteries. I didn't want a proprietary/built-in rechargeable battery. With AA batteries, I can buy my own rechargeables. Or in a pinch, I can use regular alkaline AAs. I've been in a situation before where I ran out of juice in my digicam and thank goodness I was able to find a gas station with regular batteries.

2. Storage medium - some cameras use compactflash cards, some SD cards, and others (Sony) memory sticks. I wanted something that would be fairly universal and could go in lots of other devices - so I chose compactflash.

3. Optical zoom - I wanted something with at least a 3x or 4x optical zoom - I wasn't really interested in digital zoom features.

After I figured out the three things I most wanted in a camera, that limited my choices down pretty quick. I eventually settled on a 2 megapixel Canon Powershot A40 and loved it! A couple of years later, I "upgraded" to a 5 megapixel Canon Powershot A80 and that camera has been just as great.

Archived