Digital Camera's?

zurmoly

What is "formatting"? This was a good question since I've not bought our camera yet. This purchase will be our first digital. Everything is new to me.

Gail J.

As Suzieb said, it's just like a computer. Most cameras will allow you to clear your memory card in 2 ways. Erase all files or format it. It's like a parking lot.... If the cars are photos, the 'erase all' removes all the cars. Formating is more putting in new blacktop, and spraypainting new parking spaces. Because of the way computers work, it's much easier to start over (format). Difference can be 3-4 minutes vs. 5 seconds on some cameras.

Some one told me that you shouldn't delete "bad" pictures from the disk while you're still taking pictures. Seems doing so leaves something there that affects the next picture you take. Is that true? This person recommended leaving everything on until you transfer the pictures to the computer and/or get prints made and THEN re-format the disk to remove everything. I've always deleted pictures as I went along so am curious if I shouldn't have been doing that.

I really can't see a 'deleted' picture having any affect on the next picture visually but what the person might have been referring to is 'fragmentation' of your memory card. The memory card is in affect a RANDOM ACCESS device, if you delete a pic, that 'erases' that part of the card, the next pic may or may not fill that 'empty' space...therefore causing fragmentation, all this does is affect the 'effective' use of space..but I really doubt it's all that a big deal with respect to digital cameras. Most people have multiple cards or delete as per needed for more space.

As Suzieb said, it's just like a computer. Most cameras will allow you to clear your memory card in 2 ways. Erase all files or format it. It's like a parking lot.... If the cars are photos, the 'erase all' removes all the cars. Formating is more putting in new blacktop, and spraypainting new parking spaces. Because of the way computers work, it's much easier to start over (format). Difference can be 3-4 minutes vs. 5 seconds on some cameras.

Frank, Thanks as always. I do understand now from your explanation.

I'll tell you. You SHOULD start an online photo class for beginners.

I've learned MORE from you than from reading gobs of info on

different sites. Gail J.

I also have a Kodak - the 4690 I think. The one with the 10x zoom - 4 megapixel. I love it - have no complaints at all! My friends all have Sonys and Canon's and my pictures always come out so much clearer than theirs. They are all getting a Kodak the next time around...they hate their cameras.

I've seen shots from a 2mp camera and they come out so blurry. The least I would get nowadays is a 4. I would love to upgrade to a 6 megapixel someday...you DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY see a difference in quality - my cousin has a 6 megapixel and his shots always come our crystal clear - it's unbelievable.

Kodak is coming out with an awesome new wireless camera...which means you can email the pics to people directly from the camera right after you take it! So cool! It's only 4 megapixel though...wish it were more. Doesn't hit stores until June I believe...here it is...check it out!

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/19/6433&pq-locale=en_US

I also have a Kodak - the 4690 I think. The one with the 10x zoom - 4 megapixel. I love it - have no complaints at all! My friends all have Sonys and Canon's and my pictures always come out so much clearer than theirs. They are all getting a Kodak the next time around...they hate their cameras.

I've seen shots from a 2mp camera and they come out so blurry. The least I would get nowadays is a 4. I would love to upgrade to a 6 megapixel someday...you DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY see a difference in quality - my cousin has a 6 megapixel and his shots always come our crystal clear - it's unbelievable.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount other camera's just based on the "MP" rating. There are so many other factors that come into play.

- lens quality of the camera

- was digital zoom used vs optical zoom

- was the lighting adequate for the shot (lighting is probably the most crucial factor)

- was there camera shake (too slow of a shutter speed)

- was the camera set to all AUTO mode or were manual settings utilized (settings such as F-stop, shutter speed, white balance etc).

- composition of the photograph as well

Also, viewing the picture afterwards makes a difference for instance, viewing the same picture on a nice bright sharp LCD panel vs a 60hz interlaced monitor at 640 x 480 resolution will be completely different. Also color depth, viewing an original shot shot at 3MP with say neutral color density but viewing it with the hardware/screen/video only set to 16 bit color will make a difference as well.

I have also witnessed people unknowingling viewing pictures (with zooming turned ON in the viewing software) and they blame the 'pixelation' on the original shot...when there is no pixelization to begin with..it's the viewing software that is manipulating the original image.

If you would like to see some examples the link in my signature will show the following (and I know they are being viewed on the web but the prints are great also)

Majesty of the Seas - pictures taken with an HP 2 MP camera

Mariner of the Seas - Pictures taken with a Fuji S3000 3.2 MP w/ 6X optical zoom

Enchantment of the Seas - Mix of the Fuji S3000 and a little Nikon 2.2MP Coolpix (It fit in my pocket perfectly while walking around Key West):D

A good editing program like Photo shop Elements is agreat addition.

Jim

Nice shots, Jim. Like RC51 was saying about the other factors that affect good pictures, you apparently know the cameras well and have a steady hand.

I started with a used Fuji digital a few years ago, then graduated to a Sony DCR-PC110 for the digital video/still combination. Last year I got a good buy on a Sony F828 (8MP). With all of them, the good pictures come from setting it up right and controlling the lens.

I saw the talk about deleting pictures and memory. My stance on that is to go high on the capacity, whatever card configuration you use. With the first digital I had, I missed some good shots by having a full disk. I get as much as I can afford, then save all shots until I move them to a portable hard-drive I use for images. Even the bad shots have something useful in them at times.

When I want to do something with a picture, I use Paint Shop Pro to resize, crop, adjust and all that, but I never write over the original raw image, in case I want to do something different with it later.

I just found this board and was pleased to find the camera discussion you've been having. I hope you don't mind me throwing my two cents in. Happy sailing and bring back pictures.

Jeff

Jeff-

Welcome and everyones 2 cents are welcome. I am looking for a few more megapixels myself. I have read great things about the Fuji E550 6MP. What I really want ia digital SLR - but they are still a bit $$$$. Also about time to upgrade to Photoshop Elements 3.

I love sunsets and sunrises - We are planning a trip to Monument Valley and I don't think you can take a bad picture there!:cool:

Archived