Road Trip - Portland, OR to San Pedro

Lynda90

My Mom and I are thinking about doing a road trip from Portland to San Pedro for our Hawaiian cruise next year. While I am a very good driver, I'm one of those individuals who is extremely directionally challenged. A couple of questions come to mind that I'm hoping some of you can help me with.

1. If we want to make two overnight stops along the way (not including stay in San Pedro), where are decent (not fancy or expensive) places to stay. Must not be far off the path we are travelling. We will probably stay at the Marina in San Pedro since they let you park for free. Or, maybe we will only need one overnight stay along the way with San Pedro being a second night. Any opinions on this?

2. Will I have to drive through all the Los Angeles traffic to get to San Pedro?

Thank you!

Here are places we have stayed that are right off Highway 5:

Southern Oregon-there are amny small towns with hotels right off the freeway

Notherrn CA- Sacramento-being the Capital, there are planey places to stay.

Coalinga, CA - Harris Ranch or other hotels in the same area (the steak house is wondeful)

And yes...you will need to go through L.A. to get to San Pedro...just plan it so you arrive earlier in the day (prior to 3 pm) or later in the evening (after 7:30 pm).

Hope this helps.

Joyce

Thanks, Joyce. What So. OR city did you stay in and can you name a motel? Also how about a name for Sacramento motel. Might get a better rate making the reservations prior to trip instead of just taking our chances.

Anyone else have any suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

Lynda - The drive from Portland to LA is very easy, just straight on I-5. I did it last summer, no problem. As for hotels, there are so many Best Western and the like right off the freeway off ramps that we just drove until we got tired then picked a hotel chain we were familiar with. No problems at all. I can't speak to the trip between LA and San Pedro since I haven't driven that portion of the trip. - Shelly

Yes, you will have to drive thru the L.A. traffic. If you are planning to arrive on a weekday, just be aware that between the hours of 11:00am and 2:00pm are the best. The worst part of the 405 Frwy (which you will take from the I-5) begins at about the 101 Frwy, all the way to the 110 Frwy....plan to be at this point mid-day. On the week-ends...the later it is the more traffic you will have...early is best.

DO NOT take the I-5 all the way to the 110...then you will be in smack in the middle of downtown L.A. - and that is NOT where you want to be.

Hi Lynda,

We have driven from Seattle/Everett to San Francisco many times. I know this isn't as far as you need to go, but it really is an easy drive at least that far into California. My 73 year old aunt drove up here and back by herself, so I know you will be able to do it easily.

My husband used to work for GTE/Verizon until a year ago when he retired. The Beaverton office was his main office, so he spent a lot of time in your area. A couple of times we went that far, he did a day of work, and then we took off for California. So my best suggestion is for the first day to get as far into California as you can. We we are driving from Everett we always aim for Ashland, Oregon or at least Medford. But you can get so much farther than that. Leave early and at least get through the all the mountain ranges in Southern Oregon and Northern California. You really could easily get as far the middle of California the first day. We drove from Beaverton to San Francisco in one day and were there about 6:00 PM. The farther you get, the better it will be for getting into the LA area.

One really good way to map your trip for driving, it plot it on Mapquest. It will tell you exactly what exits to take and how to get where you are going. Makes it easy.

We have stayed in some of the new Comfort Inns, to Shilo Inns along the way. Not necessarily the places we would stay on a vacation, but for a road trip, they are clean (the ones we have been in) and aren't horribly expensive. If you have AAA, they can give you information and some of the hotels also offer a discount with them like Comfort Inns.

Have a great trip.

Hulagirl

Hi Lynda,

I am a Portland neighbor on the coast- Seal Rock is about 3 hours southwest of you. I have lived in southern California most of my life and kids and relatives are still there. We fly most of the time but at least once a year drive down. We usually make one stop in Sacramento. Last time I got a room at a Homestead Suites on Priceline for $35. It was right off I-5 a very quiet and safe location.

If you wanted to do the trip more leisurely....you might stop in the small town of Weed in No California- we have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express there. Then maybe drive as far as Santa Clarita/Valencia- that puts you an hour and a half to two hours from San Pedro depending on traffic. Again you can get the Hampton or Fairfield Inn 2* on Priceline...I have gotten them for $40. Or the Hyatt 3* for $65.

It really isn't a bad drive- Californians drive fast and aggressively but I think they are still the best drivers in the world. If you take a wrong turn you can get off the freeway and get back on again.

You can do this!!! :)

There are many motels and Hotels off of highway 5 here in Sacramento. I would use Priceline as well. From Sacramento to San Pedro is a 6 to seven hour drive on 5. If you leave early around 4 or 5 am there is no traffic. 5 is boring but easy to drive the straight road. We start with a full tank here in Sacramento and then get gas just before the Grapevine. Make sure you hit LA around 10 or 11 am then you won't have as much off a problem.

Thank you all so very much for all your help. That's what I love about these boards--so many great people willing to help. It sounds like we will take the drive since you make it sound easy with many places to stay along the way.

Thanks, again!

I did not mention specific places because you never know when you will want to get a room (we found if we booked too many in advance, we'd end up rushing or stalling time to get to our destination). Better to just stop when you aer ready and find a room (there should be availability).

We usually like to stay at B &B's (if you ever get a chance in Merlin, OR thes is one called Pine Meadow B & B). Also in Wolf Creek, OR this is an old stagecoach stop converted into an historic hotel.

Joyce

Hi, Lynda, last October drove from Victoria, B.C. to Monterey, Calif picked up my friend and we drove to Santa Barbara, spent the night there and the next day left around 10 am and were at the ship's terminal by noon.

At most rest stops and restaurants in Calif, you can pick up a free copy of "The Traveler, discount guide hotel coupons". Saved a pile of money by using these coupons.

Have found the best rooms in hotel/motels are before 5pm. last year drove from Salem to Redding in 8 hours including rest stops. There is a terrific family restaurant called "Lumberjack," tons of great food for very reasonable prices.

There are 3 mountain passes in southern Oregon/northern Calif which slow you down a bit. Did 80 all the way, and cars were still passing me. The last rest stop is right before Sacramento, and then nothing for 110 miles.

http://www.sanpedro.com have maps directing you to the ship's terminal.

Good luck on your trip.

You are stopping in the San Francisco Bay Area on the way, aren’t you? ;)

Not to discourage you, but friends of mine did the 15 day Hawaii trip last fall and drove from the Bay Area to San Pedro (one of them is a big chicken when it comes to flying). They did the drive in one day, which is doable from here, but they were out of it the first day of the cruise and took a couple of days to recover once they got back home. So, my advice would be to take it easy, especially on the way home. You don’t want to lose all that cruise relaxation after a couple of hours on the freeway…

Thanks again for all the good info.

Brian, you gave me some food for thought (less in mouth:D) regarding the drive. We will take an extra day or so for the trip each way. Get your spare room ready.:)

Joyce, I have never heard of either Merlin or Wolf Creek, Oregon. But they sound interesting. Where are they?

• 3 months later...

Something that no one else has mentioned is that I don't think you said what time of the year you are planning this. If you take 5 down in the winter months, make sure you get a weather report as they will close it if it starts snowing at the Grapevine. The Grapevine is the pass that takes you over the mountains from the San Joaquin Valley and into the San Fernando Valley above Los Angeles. If you take 101, in rainy weather, there can be mudslides, so check the CHP and weather reports before you go. Driving through the San Fernando Valley and through LA can be unpredictable (I get KTLA on Dish Network and watch the traffic reports every morning, though I no longer live there). So I would also recommend taking more than one day and taking your time. 101 will take you longer but is less boring, I think and there are many beautiful places to stop along the way. Another way to do it is to drive 5 from up your way to Pachecho Pass (152 West), which will take you to 101 South and the more coastal route to L.A. 101S will take you to 405 S and then take 110W to San Pedro. If you do decide to fly, I've found the cheapest way is to start checking Southwest early, as you can get great internet deals in advance. You could then pre-arrange a shuttle from LAX to the port. Again, be sure to arrive in San Pedro at least a day ahead of time. If you are going straight to Hawaii from the Port of Los Angeles, you will have sea days to catch up on your sleep, but it is nice to not to be totally exhausted once you get on the ship. Have a wonderful time and I hope this has helped.

When we road trip to a cruise we like to rent a car one-way and drop it off. After the cruise we then rent one-way going back. No wear and tear on your car and save dough on the parking. Also it adds to the feeling of being on vacation. Just a thought...

Have you considered Amtrak, on the Coast Starlight? It is a great ride, even if the on-time performance record is not good. There is some beautiful scenery en route, particularly San Luis Obispo and south.

I don't care all that much for freeway driving in the Golden State, and have taken Amtrak several times one-way after a coastal repositioning.

Instead of two or three overnights on the road, one night on the train, and then one night at the LA end, and board ship the next day.

It looks like you have got lots of great advice!

I really enjoyed the trip by train like "druke" suggested. You get off the beaten path and see areas unacessible by car through southern Oregon and northern California. Other stretched are pretty boring next to the freeway.

The wonderful thing about the coaststarlight is that you can get up and stretch your legs and have a meal, or go to the washroom with out stopping! i have been on it several times to the Bay area and LA from PDX. Most people that book a tiny sleeping berth usually end up in one of the captain chairs of the view cars or a regular seat (you can move around to different seats) to sleep.

If you drive, you really do need to stop at the "Wolf Creek Tavern" as mentioned, it is a National historic spot. It is off exit 76 from I-5. We are at about "300" in PDX and the zero is the California border, so about 200 miles from you. Open for lunch and dinner, both great by the way, until about 830pm.

When we drive down we try to get as far as possible the first day, until it gets dark. Its obviously much more difficult to go over the Pass into California at night ( think deer, lots of them! in April). We try to make it to Yreka Ca and stay at the Best Western Miner's Inn 530-842-4355. We usually pay about 70$ for room there. nice restaurnat nearby. Its clean and adequate but not swank at all. A bit "dated" but the nicest place around.

There is a Holiday Inn Xpress and Comfort Inn at Weed too, as Petoonya said.

We like to stop before LA and have found Lathrop by Sacramento convienient. It is off the highway but you don't have to detour off into Sacremento to find the other places. There is a new Holiday Inn Xpress there we stay at for less and 90$ a night.209-858-1234.

Sometimes we leave after work and only get as far as Ashland. Home to the Shakespearian festival and buildings at Litha park. Waking up and taking a stoll thru the park in the spring with all the azaleas and rhodys in bloom and the swans swimming on the ponds...Its beautiful!

You may want to give AAA a call. For the price of the membership you can get tourbooks ( with these and more hotels listed) maps and a "triptik" which is a custom made map that is spiral bound giving you mile by mile info about sites and services. Also you can save the price of your membership with the hotel discounts. There is an office there in Beaverton. Plus they will bring you gas if you run out, unlock your car, start your battery or fix your flat. free. On any car you drive. It covers you not the car. amazing huh? too bad they don't offer it for cruises. ( we'll tow you if you miss your port, bring you coffee if you don't like princess's, etc.)

Enjoy your trip and the planning!

LL

Archived