Eurodam SU cabin in front of ship

RC Pup

We have been offered a SU cabin on the Eurodam, but it is in the very front of the ship on deck 10. I understand it is also a "spa cabin". Our questions are:

1. What is the ride like in the front of the ship? Windy? Bouncy?

2. There is no plexiglass railing for the balcony. It is a steel railing instead. What are the pros and cons of a steel railing?

3. Is a "spa suite" worth the extra money?

If we don't accept this SU cabin, we will still have our original "V" cabin on deck 8. Thank you for your answers and insights!

I had one of the CA oceanviews last November & loved it. However, I wouldn't get a steel wall - if I book a verandah I expect an unobstructed view while sitting out there. With the steel, you have to stand up to see any sort of view (unless you like the back side of steel). Being far forward didn't bother me, but there is more movement than midship. We had a serious storm with very high winds, and it was a bit bouncy up there.

As for the spa amenities I don't find them worth anything at all, but spa lovers might disagree. I did like the color scheme in the spa staterooms better than what they had in the regular cabins, whatever that's worth ;-)

Sue/WDW1972

Ryndam 4/11/10

Eurodam 3/5/11

It's not a completely steel railing - there is a plexiglas section. When seated you can not see over the steel section. We've never stayed in this cabin, but I understand it is very windy up there when the ship is underway.

On the Eurodam there is no forward-facing window as there will be in the Nieuw Amsterdam. The only window is the door section that shows in this picture, which is considerably less window than you would get in an SA.

There are pictures of the inside of the cabin in post #9 of this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=741864

And yes, that high and forward you will feel a lot of pitching and rolling in rough water.

There are pictures of the inside of the cabin in post #9 of this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=741864

attachment.php?attachmentid=102156&d=1232194519

There will be more motion in the very bow and the very stern than anywhere else. This refers to pitching (fore and aft) motion. If you look at the ship as if it were on an axle running right through the ship from right to left in the middle, it rotates on that axle as it pitches. Right by the axle (amidships) there is little motion, as you get further toward either end, the amount of motion increases. I have been in a cabin right under the bridge, and while I don't suffer at all from seasickness or motion sickness, DW was fine, and she can be bothered at times on a small sail boat. Due to the size of the ship, it is a much more slow movement than on a small boat.

As for any rolling motion (side-to-side) it makes no difference whether you are in the bow or amidships. For this motion, imagine an axle going through the ship from fore to aft, and the ship rotates on this axle as it rolls. Yes there is more motion on the sides than in some interior cabin (near that imaginary axle) but if you were in an interior cabin, you would be more likely to get sick for other reasons.

As for the wind, unless your balcony has an unobstructed view forward, there should be some windbreak. On the other hand, we loved our forward-looking cabin, as we would stand on our verandah as watch as we entered ports. We didn't have to get dressed to go up to get the view.

There is one other item --- noise. As you enter ports, you are going to hear the thrusters more up in the bow, and the anchors and windlasses when you enter port. We found that that was a great wakeup call (if we were still asleep) to go watch and get ready for breakfast before any excursions.

As for me, I would take the cabin in a heartbeat.

Archived