How far in advance should I book?

AugustPearl

Hello!! DH & I hope to become 1st time cruisers this year! I'm thinking of booking a Caribbean or Bahamian cruise the week of Thanksgiving. How far in advance should I book? I've read that cruises can book a year in advance, so this already being March, am I too late?

I want to get a good deal (like everyone!) But I don't want to wait for "last minute deals." I'm currently interested in a couple of Carnival sailings, if that helps to know the cruise line. I'm also still vacillating on type of cabin/stateroom, but starting to lean toward balcony. Do these book up more quickly?

Oh, one more thing.....I know I'll need to pay a deposit when I book. When is the balance typically due? 30 days before sailing? 60 days?

Thanks in advance for any helpful insight!! :) AP

You are in no way too late....many people can book cruises the day before the ship sails so I wouldn't worry about that.

As far as how far in advance... it depends on what kind of deal you want and how sure you are that you are going to go.

Based on reviews I would do the Carribbean over the Bahamas. I have never been to the Bahamas but I've heard so many negative things... I KNOW the western Carribbean is a nice destination.

Carnival has several different price plans. The cheapest of which is usually the Early Saver price. You can only get this price if you are booking 5 months out on >5 days cruises or 3 months out on <5 day cruises. If you called Carnival or went to their website you would see the with Early Saver plans you can choose your own cabin. (Be careful what is above and under you for noise/comfort reasons)

The biggest pro of early saver is that, unlike other rates, if the price goes down up to two days before sailing, all you have to do is fill out a form and you will get a discount or on board credit... the con is that if you choose to cancel your cruise the deposit is non refundable. You can transfer it to another cruise booking but changes like that are $50.00 a person added.

I can't answer the balcony question. We had an inside cabin last time and we were perfectly happy with it. This time DH suprised me with a balcony.. and I am REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!! We always went straight to the Lido deck in the mornings to eat breakfast and relax, and now we can grab food and just watch the sun rise from the balcony.. I'm pretty sure it's the way to go. The saying I usually here is that once you have a balcony it's hard to book anything else.

Last answer.. our final payment is 75 days out. I have no idea if that is normal, but thats what our is. :)

Good Luck!!!

Just my opinion but I would check other cruise lines that do the Caribean before deciding on Carnival for your first cruise. You didn't mention your age but if you are over 30 and don't want to spend your money on a cruise with a bunch of people who are more interested in getting drunk than in seeing the sights then check out other cruises lines before you make your decision (IMHO).

As you can tell my ONE experience with Carnival was NOT a sucess. We have been on 20 cruises total and that was the only one we would have rather not taken.

There are two ways of looking at booking cruises. One is book as early as possible with a TA who guarantees to honor price drops and the other is wait until the last minute.

Have a great next cruise.

Sorry your experience was so bad. DH and I are both in our 30's, don't drink much, and we did not have the same experience that you did in reference to the alcohol with Carnival.

We had a great time on Carnival going to shows, doing different games, hanging out by the pool, attending the art auction, etc etc etc.

everyone looks for different things in a vacation, and most vacations are what you make of them.

I booked my first cruise about 7 months out. My girlfriend and I sail in September and we did the Early Saver Rate. I originally just booked an inside cabin but after reading a ton on here switched to a aft wrap around suite which is a lot pricier but my girlfriend is graduating from nursing school so I wanted it to be special. $500 was due at the original booking and my final payment is due about 3 months before in June. Like the other posters have said there is a $50 per person cancel fee and the rest of the $500 just goes towards a future cruise if you cancel. There isn't any problem if you decide on a different stateroom before your final payment. Booking farther out also lets you get a cabin of your liking. Some of them go rather quickly.

Archived