Just curious.....

Becky81

What does one do when the lines are cut, or your chairs are taken by people of a different culture? I am a very low key, just want some sun and relaxation type of person. That being said, if other people are really rude, do you just walk away? Is that fair? I don't want to make a big deal of it, but is there a good way to deal with them? :confused:Just curious.....

Well, remember that you have to pick your battles. You would pretty much have to decide if it's worth it to you to respond to someone of any culture who pushes, cuts in the buffet line, etc. I think that if you know ahead of time that you'll encounter people from different countries that don't like to wait in line, have no sense of personal space, etc., that's half the battle. Of course, if you're feeling frisky, when someone shoves you in line, you could always shove back.

DH and I will be on Poesia next month, and we're pretty much going to 'pretend' we're in a big, busy European city (we have travelled overseas several times before, and DH has lived in the Far East and Pacific basin)-hopefully that will help us deal with these scenarios with a little grace.

I was on Poesia in January, and met people from several European countries, and every one of them was friendly, polite--even helpful. So that is to say not to worry, because the chances are really good that you won't have any negative experiences at all.

The thing about the deck lounges--the official MSC policy is that you can't "save" them, and same thing for seats in the theater, so that is a tough one. Although it is still very rare that someone will just come along and take a lounge/chair right next to you, without even asking about it.

As for line-cutting, that is also usually a small thing--maybe someone only wants a dessert, so they don't want to stand in the whole buffet line, just to get a dessert at the very end of the line.

If something negative does happen, it's best to either be polite or ignore it--don't get offended or let it upset your vacation. It just doesn't make sense that any nationality of people is coming on the cruise to purposely be rude to others. It's more likely that they're only doing things in the way they are used to doing them back in their country.

I think satincruz's advice is spot on. I'd also add that noone can make you feel annoyed or unhappy abput something, unless you choose to allow them to do that to you. You can't chosse what people will or won't do around you but you can decide not to let it annoy you.

The thing is that it is rarely worth the argument either. For those people who have absolutely no consideration whatsoever to those around them (fortunatley the minority), they are not that likely to transform just beacuse you decide to point out the error of their ways - it is more likely that they will completely ignore you, pretend they don't understand or shout back.

• 5 weeks later...
What does one do when the lines are cut, or your chairs are taken by people of a different culture? I am a very low key, just want some sun and relaxation type of person. That being said, if other people are really rude, do you just walk away? Is that fair? I don't want to make a big deal of it, but is there a good way to deal with them? :confused:Just curious.....

Both line cutting and chair stealing are very frustrating to observe, ....pause, take a breath and remember where you are, where you are going and the beauty that surrounds you...I assure you their behaviour will not miraculously change if we made comments to them.

Enjoy!

I am somewhat confused about Chair Stealing. In the Restaurants, my wife or myself will stay at the table while the other returns to the buffet line. Therefore no chair stealing there.

On Deck, if you leave for a couple of minutes and leave your towel, sandals, etc. most people will not take the chair. However, if it is more than a half hour, that deck chair has become fair game.

Archived