Family Suites

blitznbobs

I've been looking for a cruise for myself, my husband and my parents-in law. As we all want to share the care of my 1 year old son and having looked on the princess website we found that princess 'claim' to have family suites and looking at the plan of these rooms they look ideal for our needs. BUT when I've tried to book one they don't come up on the internet list. Do they actually exist and do they just book instantaneously or do you need to ring princess to access these suites??

Thanks

VIcki

I believe you have to book these either by phone or through a TA. Beware, however, that you will be paying through the nose to book one of these family suites. They charge the full suite fare for the first four passengers in the cabin and your son would be charged something like half of the suite fare as the fifth passenger in the cabin. You will get the full suite benefits, but the cabin itself is not nearly as nice as a full suite. I have stayed in one of these when we were upgraded from a minisuite/inside cabin combo and it was fine for our needs, but I would never book one if I had to pay for it.

I've been looking for a cruise for myself, my husband and my parents-in law. As we all want to share the care of my 1 year old son and having looked on the princess website we found that princess 'claim' to have family suites and looking at the plan of these rooms they look ideal for our needs. BUT when I've tried to book one they don't come up on the internet list. Do they actually exist and do they just book instantaneously or do you need to ring princess to access these suites??

Thanks

VIcki

My guess is that these cabins, which i think there are only one or two per ship, would be the first to be snaped up.

Thanks

VIcki

Try here.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077929&highlight=family+suite

My guess is that these cabins, which i think there are only one or two per ship, would be the first to be snaped up.

Actually, I don't think they are. With the pricing for the first four at full suite rate, and them being more or less an inside stateroom and mini suite combined by a common sitting area, with a balcony that is pretty much difficult to use while underway because of so much wind at the front of the ship, they seem to be upgraded to more so than passengers actually booking them outright!

I have sailed in the Family Suite on Princess as well as the Royal Family Suite on Royal Caribbean. I would not take the Princess one again. The balcony is much too windy and there is little privacy as only one cabin has a door that closes to the living area, not to mention the rough ride in the front of the ship. On Royal Caribbean you have two separate bedrooms with doors, two separate baths and a separate living room area. They are mostly located aft so there is no wind problem on the balcony. Royals suites also come with many perks including access to the Concierge lounge where you can enjoy free cocktails from 5 - 8:30 in the evening. If I were going to spend the kind of money they get for Family suites I would lean towards Royal Caribbean. I do like Princess but I think that Royals family suites are much nicer.

You have to call Princess to get pricing and book the Family Suite - or possibly use a TA. It won't come up on Princess.com.

I had the Family Suite on the Diamond booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise because it's 6 women in my family on a trip, but changed to three mini-suites in a row - it's less expensive than the Family suite by about $400 per person and we will have 3 bathrooms for 6 women instead of 2 bathrooms. Plus we can open up the balcony connections and go back and forth.

The suite perks would be nice, but I think I can live without them for the price difference.

Maybe the OP could book two Balcony or Minisuite cabins next door to each other and open the balcony dividers so parents and grandparents can easily go back and forth between cabins. By leaving the sliding glass doors unlocked, they can come and go at will and the doors would probably be too heavy for the little one to open alone.

I agree - go with 2 separate balcony or minis as it is usually cheaper.

Also I think the minimum occupancy for the family suite may be 6 passengers - but not certain of this:confused:

I was told that max occupancy is six. Two in the interior room and 4 in the minisuite.

The interior portion of the family suite sleeps 4. The mini suite portion sleeps 2. But there are extra sofa beds in the sitting area, that would sleep two more. So 8 is the magic number for the family suite. ;)

Archived