Will Carnival Spirit Change Itinerary to Acapulco?

onthehighseas606

Don’t be ridiculous. If people were afraid of violence they would have to stay out of most cities in the US. The killings were all drug related, either retaliations crossing the cartel or soldiers fighting the cartel. Tourists do not deal with the cartel. Keep your nose clean and you should not get hurt.

There is a travel warning to tourists entering in to Mexico at the borders. I really didn't think it was a silly question. Most people who live in a dangerous city don't wander into those areas. Even though I've been to Acapulco twice, you never know where the big bus will take you.

During our '09 Spirit cruise, we hired a taxi for the day to tour around town. The day was awesome with cliff divers, great views, stopping wherever we wanted, etc., etc.. On our way back, we asked about violence in town. The driver's response was basically that it's not as safe as it used to be and that anytime a black Chevy Suburban with tinted windows pulled up next to you--don't look at it. WOW!

That being said, we'd book a Spirit cruise that included Acapulco without any hesitation. We never felt threatened. We always stayed in the touristy areas. Great port.

Safety is a big issue/concern in Acapulco for cruise ships, guests and crew. Unforunately the drug cartels are having an all out turf wars in many cities of Mexico, we have not had a large drug related incident since about a year ago.

The Mexican Army, Navy patrol the port in the pier and have an armed water patrol boat enforcing a 200 mts sterile zone around the pier and port.

The City police and State police are located at each tourist attraction, yesterday, I got the opportunity to go to the horse back riding adventure with other passengers from the Carnival Spirit and we never felt threatened or unsafe and all of us were completely unaware of the incidents that were taking place on the other side of town.

We have a Cruise Committee that sessions every month, thanks to the coordination of many City, State and federal Authorities, we have over 450 police men monitoring all points of interest as well as many tours that leave the city limits.

I will no play, the "every where there is crime card", but, we are taking very important measures to insure the safety of our cruise passengers.

Today we have the Maasdam in port, and there have not been any tours cancelled and guests are still walking out the gate, hiring guides and having a good time.

As soon as the ship departs we will be going ice skating at a new place near the original place where the shooting began (2 km), I would not endanger my family if I felt we were in harms way.

Besides the operations manager I am also the Port Security Officer for the ISPS Code and we are currently at MARSEC Level 1, which means normal operations.

Safety is a big issue/concern in Acapulco for cruise ships, guests and crew. Unforunately the drug cartels are having an all out turf wars in many cities of Mexico, we have not had a large drug related incident since about a year ago.

The Mexican Army, Navy patrol the port in the pier and have an armed water patrol boat enforcing a 200 mts sterile zone around the pier and port.

The City police and State police are located at each tourist attraction, yesterday, I got the opportunity to go to the horse back riding adventure with other passengers from the Carnival Spirit and we never felt threatened or unsafe and all of us were completely unaware of the incidents that were taking place on the other side of town.

We have a Cruise Committee that sessions every month, thanks to the coordination of many City, State and federal Authorities, we have over 450 police men monitoring all points of interest as well as many tours that leave the city limits.

I will no play, the "every where there is crime card", but, we are taking very important measures to insure the safety of our cruise passengers.

Today we have the Maasdam in port, and there have not been any tours cancelled and guests are still walking out the gate, hiring guides and having a good time.

As soon as the ship departs we will be going ice skating at a new place near the original place where the shooting began (2 km), I would not endanger my family if I felt we were in harms way.

Besides the operations manager I am also the Port Security Officer for the ISPS Code and we are currently at MARSEC Level 1, which means normal operations.

ACA_Port Authority,

Thank you for the reassurance. But, how about cruises that leave from Acapulco? I am scheduled on the Island Princess leaving this Saturday, 03/20. We will arrive on Friday afternoon and stay at a hotel on Costera Miguel Aleman in the middle of the bay. We are planning to go out for dinner and the cliff diver show that evening. Is there any concern with the tourist areas after dark? Should we consider staying in the hotel and skipping the diver show? Sorry, but the events of this weekend have us a bit freaked out.

No concerns whatsoever, as long as you use your common sense, don't go to back alleys for "deals" on jewelry. Stay on the main strip, Costera Miguel Aleman, to get to the restaurant take a cab if it's not within walking distance, there are plenty to return.

The only concern day and night time, could be pick pockets, but their MO is the same always; they squirt gunk on clothes, then an accomplice "helps to wipe off" and picks pocket.

We have had 4 incidents in the last 6 months, not aggressive, they walk away with a simple "no gracias". Most passengers already know this scam and walk away.

The only place I would stay away from, in the night time; is the beach from Playa las Hamacas to the first hotel on the golden Zone (Avalon) the rest is very well lit , I have walked at 11pm from the Qualton to almost the Condesa and felt safe.

Enjoy Acapulco and please let us know how it went.

PS, forgot about the cliff divers. Go enjoy the show, since it's our most iconic place, police are monitoring all shows, have a cab drop you off at the door, say no gracias to many street vendors and watch the show from the restaurant. Once you finished, ask any driver to take you to a bar for a drink and walk to the hotel, from any bar a the Condesa beach.

Archived