Tell me about multiple ships in port...is it as bad as Grand Cayman?

Cheryl H

I looked up the Alaskan ports and for the Radiance of the Seas...it looks like there are 4 ships in Skagway at one time...and Ketchikan looks like 3 or 4 ships.

I remember being in Grand Cayman more than once when 4 or 5 ships would be there all at once and it was a mess.

Any suggestions on handling the crowds? Maybe tour first thing and then walk around town afterwards? Or vice versa. Or is there probably just no way to miss some crowds.

Just thought I'd ask.

I never had a problem, had a great time in all ports. You have to remember, unlike Grand Cayman, majority of the passengers leave the port area and go inland to experience the great outdoors of Alaska. I personally only spent about 1/2 hr in town and the rest out of downtown area.

Thanks for the info.

Hmmmm, maybe I should rethink what we are doing at Juneau. We were just planning on waiting to see how the weather is and purchasing the Mt Roberts tram ticket, and maybe taking the shuttle to Mendenhall, and then having a nice seafood lunch somewhere in town.

Decisions decisions.

Maybe it would be less of a headache to just book an excursion. I saw a photo safari tour that looked interesting and it is limited to 14 people.

Thanks!

Decisions decisions.

Maybe it would be less of a headache to just book an excursion. I saw a photo safari tour that looked interesting and it is limited to 14 people.

Thanks!

That excursion has gotten great reviews. You won't regret getting out and seeing some of Alaska rather than just staying in the port all day. Go for it!!

You should also have a look at the time the ships are in port to get an idea of how crowded it might be. For instance a lot of ships don't arrive in Juneau until the afternoon because they are doing Tracy Arm in the morning. If your ships gets in early you may have a few hour window where it won't be so crowded.

If it is raining the sidewalks and shops will be mobbed. Just mobbed. Do not buy a tram ticket until you are there and at the time you want to ride. There are no refunds for bad weather. If you can't see the top from the bottom there is no point on riding up. A waste of your money! There is no discount for buying your tram tickets ahead or on the ship.

Thanks everyone.

Now I'm excited about the photo safari. It's expensive for us, but if we do not do a whale watch tour in Icy Straight, then we can spring for the photo safari which also includes whale watching. That ought to take care of what to do in Juneau.

Thanks everyone.

Now I'm excited about the photo safari. It's expensive for us, but if we do not do a whale watch tour in Icy Straight, then we can spring for the photo safari which also includes whale watching. That ought to take care of what to do in Juneau.

We have booked the photo safari for our trip. It sounded like it covers a reasonable amount of ground and is only 14 people so not too crowded. We are looking forward to it and all the rest of our trip!:)

I was also looking at how many ships are in town on our port days. We have 4 on our Ketchikan day. That is when we plan on just spending the day on a walking tour. Hopefully it will not be too bad.......

Yeah, I'm having trouble deciding for Ketchikan. I'd like to do a floatplane to Misty Fjord, but there may be other tours to that area as well....maybe a boat ride? But I want to leave enough time to get some halibut fish and chips somewhere in Ketchikan. Then there's that Aleutian Crab Fisherman tour. That one sounds good too. Too many decisions.

I have the same problem with Ketchican - 4 ships with 8000+ people. We are only there 7:00 - 1:00. We were going to do the Floatplane 7:30 - 9:30 and then walk around to see Creek Street, Salmon Ladder, totem poles, etc. Would it be better to do the floatplane later and tour in the early morning. Maybe the other 8000 people will be sleeping, eating breakfast or on another tour.

I have the same problem with Ketchican - 4 ships with 8000+ people. We are only there 7:00 - 1:00. We were going to do the Floatplane 7:30 - 9:30 and then walk around to see Creek Street, Salmon Ladder, totem poles, etc. Would it be better to do the floatplane later and tour in the early morning. Maybe the other 8000 people will be sleeping, eating breakfast or on another tour.

To a degree you're right that most people don't get out and around early so the crowds in town are much smaller, but most of the Creek Street shops are locally owned so don't open very early either.

Archived