Glass or Plastic

conchead

Have you considered a hybrid model. Since the glass bottle can break and the plastic bottle will disintergrate, put the note in the glass bottle and then put that bottle in a plastic jug. It will last longer and might achieve the desired effect.

To make it really float you might design a boat made out of air packs used for shipping.

Go hog wild.

I'm no tree hugger by any means but I'd have to say throwing anything off the ship, regardless of what it is, isn't the best idea... however I've thought of it myself at times.

If you're going to do it, I would use plastic, solely for the reason that it would survive the trip. Biodegradable might not even be a good choice, honestly. For one, a message in a bottle might not be found for years or even decades. Biodegradable presumably would break down much sooner than that. Secondly, the only reason I would even consider throwing a plastic bottle overboard is because it's big enough to where animals will not attempt to eat it. There was a recent story about how animals/birds try to eat small plastic pieces thinking it's food, and they end up dying with stomachs full of plastic. A biodegradable bottle will not degrade all at once but would break apart into small pieces before it's completely gone. No bird or fish is going to mess with a full-sized, floating plastic bottle. That's probably one of the few positives of using glass - if it breaks or leaks for any reason, it will sink. (Just that it might break close to shore and no one wants broken glass on their beach).

So, now that I have my non-biodegrading plastic bottle, I want it to stand out so that it doesn't look like a random piece of trash. Who knows where this will end up - it might be mixed in with other debris when it hits shore. I would probably write my note on some bright neon-colored paper - even better as someone said, pop a dollar bill in there for good measure. The neon color inside will catch someone's eye, and the dollar bill would give them reason to pick it up. Also, for all of this to work, the bottle should be clear and any labeling/paper removed.

But Mr. Conchead is always serious :rolleyes:

That is where you are so wrong;)

Better still : bring a whole crate of message bottles and, while flying to your port of destination, open the emergency exit and drop them one at a time.

Big Problem With that.

We will be driving so...maybe I could toss a few out the window going down I-55

I have seen the threads about people throwing bottles overboard with notes in them.

My son and I think this could be fun and are thinking about doing this on our next cruise.:)

My question is this.

Which do you think is best choice for the bottle Glass or Plastic?

I realize that metal caps are bad, since they will corode and leak.

I figure plastic cap will be the best choice.

Thanks yall.

Seriously, why would you do this??

You are a grown adult, you know the repercussions.

Why would you not do the right thing and pose this as a Staaaaaaaaaaaaaa poll?? :eek:

Seriously, why would you do this??

You are a grown adult, you know the repercussions.

Why would you not do the right thing and pose this as a Staaaaaaaaaaaaaa poll?? :eek:

I may be a grown adult...but my son is just a kid;)

Because I am not Steeeeeeeee

090827180747.jpg

So cute.

How self centered do you have to be to think that littering is cute?

Your bottle is going to end up as litter just like other bottles (beer and soda) that litter the shorelines.

Life is not a romance novel, reality is that trash is trash.

Did you hear that Sting/the Police were recently arrested?

They sent out an SOS.

(sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS S O S O SOS S O S O SOS...)

Message in a bottle, yeah.

For this reason alone, a never ending Police song running through your head, I strongly advise against your plan... :p

090827180747.jpg

So cute.

How self centered do you have to be to think that littering is cute?

Your bottle is going to end up as litter just like other bottles (beer and soda) that litter the shorelines.

Life is not a romance novel, reality is that trash is trash.

but that is trash from a fishing boat

I am thinking of this

MessageBottle.jpg

I have seen the threads about people throwing bottles overboard with notes in them.

My son and I think this could be fun and are thinking about doing this on our next cruise.:)

My question is this.

Which do you think is best choice for the bottle Glass or Plastic?

I realize that metal caps are bad, since they will corode and leak.

I figure plastic cap will be the best choice.

Thanks yall.

May I suggest you use a US Department of Commerce Coast & Geodetic Survey official bottle. That-a-way there will be no problems if you are caught... AND you will be saving the US government money, as of last budget the USDCCGS was spending $ 227,000.00 per bottle to release ~~!!~~

US%20Department%20of%20Commerce%20CoastGeodetic%20Surveysm.jpg

May I suggest you use a US Department of Commerce Coast & Geodetic Survey official bottle. That-a-way there will be no problems if you are caught... AND you will be saving the US government money, as of last budget the USDCCGS was spending $ 227,000.00 per bottle to release ~~!!~~

US%20Department%20of%20Commerce%20CoastGeodetic%20Surveysm.jpg

Now THAT is a spiffy looking bottle.;)

I did some googleling and can't come up with anything for it.

Do you have anymore info on it?:confused:

Archived