Glass or Plastic

conchead

I have seen the threads about people throwing bottles overboard with notes in them.

My son and I think this could be fun and are thinking about doing this on our next cruise.:)

My question is this.

Which do you think is best choice for the bottle Glass or Plastic?

I realize that metal caps are bad, since they will corode and leak.

I figure plastic cap will be the best choice.

Thanks yall.

You're not supposed to throw anything overboard on a ship, unless you promise to not let go. Then I suggest a BIG plastic bottle as it may provide you with the bouyancy needed to keep you from drowning until the next ship passes by.

What is the purpose? Do you think that someone is actually going to be fishing bottles out of the water? Ships policy is to throw nothing overboard. They do have security cameras along the sides.

Think of it this way. Why not throw a bottle out of your car window with your name, address and phone number?

I have seen the threads about people throwing bottles overboard with notes in them.

My son and I think this could be fun and are thinking about doing this on our next cruise.:)

My question is this.

Thanks yall.

Throw the bottle!

I think glass would feel better to throw and provide a better chance of someone actually opening it to see what was inside.

Granted plastic may last longer when washing up on shore and be less likely to break on any rocks along the way, but I can't imagine plastic would be as likely to be opened.

EDIT: Forgot to add that if a tree hugger sees you toss the bottle, toss them too; leave no witnesses and perhaps save jobs.....

You're not supposed to throw anything overboard on a ship, unless you promise to not let go. Then I suggest a BIG plastic bottle as it may provide you with the bouyancy needed to keep you from drowning until the next ship passes by.

:rolleyes:

What is the purpose? Do you think that someone is actually going to be fishing bottles out of the water? Ships policy is to throw nothing overboard. They do have security cameras along the sides.

Think of it this way. Why not throw a bottle out of your car window with your name, address and phone number?

Simple answer - don't do it!

Throw the bottle!

I think glass would feel better to throw and provide a better chance of someone actually opening it to see what was inside.

Granted plastic may last longer when washing up on shore and be less likely to break on any rocks along the way, but I can't imagine plastic would be as likely to be opened.

EDIT: Forgot to add that if a tree hugger sees you toss the bottle, toss them too; leave no witnesses and perhaps save jobs.....

These were very much what I was thinking;)

No Problemo;)

This is one of those hot button issues that people get really upset about. So... if you are gonna do it, you might not want to talk about the fact you did it. :)

What...me????;)

Only if you use a biodegradable plastic bottle

http://biotaspringwater.com/

:DI thought glass..due to break down and sand and rocks beachcombing pretty little glass smoothed over pieces; until all these threads and thinking..was at glass (rarely) until...here!!!:)

And no...I have not done it.

And yes..I would like to.

And I have lived lots of both sides of envirnometal issues...re-introduction of wolf..big one for my family in not so distant past. And participated in many beach cleanups in Oregon.

We now have an option.

IF you insisnt on poluting the planet further at lest use the biodegradeable plastic bottles. Some of them are made with corn oil instead of petrochemicals, and only take several hundred years to break down. :rolleyes:

LMAO!

I would suggest a biodegradeable bottle as well like the above poster

conchead

THROW THE BOTTLE!

Use a heavy duty wine bottle and seal with a cork and wax. Think how thrilling it will be to your son when he gets a letter back from some far off port.:D

where are you going to get the wax? sneak on candles? ;)

:DI thought glass..due to break down and sand and rocks beachcombing pretty little glass smoothed over pieces; until all these threads and thinking..was at glass (rarely) until...here!!!:)

It takes a long, long time for the glass to have the ragged and sharp edges smoothed down. A lot of that pretty little smooth glass is actually naturally occurring sea glass or quartz. If you insist on doing it, please use a biodegradable plastic bottle.

The biodegradable bottles deteriorate in something like 80 days under the right conditions. Kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise, don't you think?

I vote for glass. People actually scour beaches looking for chunks of glass from broken bottles that have been polished by sea and sand. They make jewelry out of it. So, even if the experiment fails, there's a chance something good will come of tossing the bottle overboard.

I've always known that rabid environmentalists had no sense of humor. This thread shows they have no sense of romance either.

The biodegradable bottles deteriorate in something like 80 days under the right conditions. Kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise, don't you think?

Umm, no. The purpose is to throw a message into the sea in hopes of someone finding it. Didn't realize there was some sort of time limit on it.

I vote for glass. People actually scour beaches looking for chunks of glass from broken bottles that have been polished by sea and sand. They make jewelry out of it. So, even if the experiment fails, there's a chance something good will come of tossing the bottle overboard.

Do you really think that broken glass just ends up nice and smooth over night? It takes time, lots of it, for sand to scour the hard edges away. And artists don't make jewelry out of broke wine bottles. They make it out of "sea glass" which is naturally occurring quartz.

I've always known that rabid environmentalists had no sense of humor. This thread shows they have no sense of romance either.

Yes, because picking up other people's trash or gashing your foot on busted wine and beer bottles is so freakin' romantic. It's right up there with stepping on a rusty nail.

My question is this.

Thanks yall.

I cannot believe that in polluted world like ours people enjoy "throwing bottles overboard".

Also because it is against the rules, you get fined if you get caught "enjoying" yourself.

I don't see the point in using biodegradable plastic bottles. What good is it to use a bottle that is going to fall apart before it reaches that exotic foreign port? Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole exercise.

THROW THE GLASS BOTTLE!

Because there is a one-in-a-million chance of it reaching a foreign port, and if it's going to reach a foreign port, it will do it *before* the bottle dissolves. So for all the other bottles that end up in a trash heap in the middle of the ocean or caught in a current, this has the least environmental impact.

Archived