HELP! Waitlisted for early dining....

JENANDGENE

I booked Freedom of the Seas for November a few dys ago, when I was looking at my booking invoice I noticed we were listed as late seating dinner. I called today to get that changed to early seating and was told that "My time dining" was closed for the sailing and that the 6pm dinner seating was "waitlisted". I did have her put us on the waitlist, but what the heck am I gonna do if we don't get it????!!???

My kids will be 6, 4, and 2... I really have a hard time picturing them eating at 8:30 at night!!!! That's bedtime! I am worried their behavior would not be nearly as good as if it were earlier...

I know that there are other places to eat dinner, but really part of the cruising experience is eating dinner in the dining room!!!!!

What do you think?? Any suggestions on how to get the earlier dining?? Do you think enough people will change their plans between now and Nov that we will actually get moved??

I'm kinda panicking about the thought!!

The availability of main dining seating is always one of my criteria for booking a cruise. We couldn't wait until 8:30 either.

You have a few options. If you don't come off the waitlist and decide not to take the kids to late dining, you can a) Eat in Windjammer every night. It's pretty quiet in there, so more relaxing than the MDR or b) Eat in a specialty restaurant every night with all 5 of you. Your reservation would have to be before 7. or c) Feed the kiddos in the Windjammer first, then get a babysitter for the kids and eat in a specialty restaurant just dh and you, or d) Feed the kids in the Windjammer, get a babysitter and eat at late dining, just your dh and you.

Alternatively, would you be willing to switch to a ship that does have early dining available?

I would bet that you will be able to get the early dining time. A lot of cancellations come through at final payment time and any of those that had early dining will free up spots for you.

I've been looking at our next trip and most have all but one dining time filled up. I am looking at ships that are fairly empty and have a hard time believing 2 of the 3 dining times/types are full. Maybe its an inventory control thing?

If all else fails, most people are able to get their dining time switched once on board. I wouldn't sweat it at this point.

Check back a few days before sailing, I know you are on the list, but a phone call never hurts. Also as soon as you get on board find the Maitre D and explain your situation. You can get room service etc to feed the kids earlier to help them wait to eat, but I do understand about bedtime.

We were in the same situation. We booked in August for an April trip and was put on a waitlist. I had decided we would just deal with it and either not eat in the MDR or feed the kids first and then have them stay at Camp Carnival while we ate the late night. In December, I received an email that we were now on the early dining. So for us, it worked out.

We just got back from a 5 day on carnival with a 1 year old. We only booked in Jan. We were wait listed also for the early seating and nervous about it but were upgraded about a month before our cruise (which wasn't long after booking). I'd say that you should get upgraded before your cruise.

You can probably get your seating changed once you board the ship - we've had to do that on three of our trips.

Just go to the MDR after you check into the ship - it may not be open right away so keep going back until it is... Talk with the maitre'd about your situation - he'll take your name and rearrange the seating ... and let you know later that day - you may have to take the late seating for the first day but he should be able to change your time by the second day. They've been able to do it for us on all our trips. Very accomodating. There are probably just as many people who want to switch to the late seating. (this is one of the things the maitre'd does do let him earn that gratuity tip)...

ALso, we've found that we actually prefer the late seating with little kids... our kids just love the kids club so this is what we do----

We get back from our shore leave in the late afternoon then have time to shower and get changed for dinner... then we take out kids (4 and 7 ys) to get some dinner - buffet or pizza or whatever - their choice... then take the kids to the kids club when it opens back up usually by 7pm. then my husband and I get a wonderful date (I mean meal) to ourselves in the MDR... we'll go pick up the kids usually around 9:30 - yes, that's kind of late but we always let the kids sleep in - don't rush in the morning to get off the boat - and since we're from the West coast - it sort of keeps the kids more on west coast time... it really works for us. the kids club usually has a movie going for the last hour with pillows etc... it lets the kids settle down - they're ready for bed when we pick them up.

btw - we've done it this way since our little ones were just two and up.

just a thought..

enjoy your cruise.

-Teresa

You can probably get your seating changed once you board the ship - we've had to do that on three of our trips.

Just go to the MDR after you check into the ship - it may not be open right away so keep going back until it is... Talk with the maitre'd about your situation - he'll take your name and rearrange the seating ... and let you know later that day - you may have to take the late seating for the first day but he should be able to change your time by the second day. They've been able to do it for us on all our trips. Very accomodating. There are probably just as many people who want to switch to the late seating. (this is one of the things the maitre'd does do let him earn that gratuity tip)...

ALso, we've found that we actually prefer the late seating with little kids... our kids just love the kids club so this is what we do----

We get back from our shore leave in the late afternoon then have time to shower and get changed for dinner... then we take out kids (4 and 7 ys) to get some dinner - buffet or pizza or whatever - their choice... then take the kids to the kids club when it opens back up usually by 7pm. then my husband and I get a wonderful date (I mean meal) to ourselves in the MDR... we'll go pick up the kids usually around 9:30 - yes, that's kind of late but we always let the kids sleep in - don't rush in the morning to get off the boat - and since we're from the West coast - it sort of keeps the kids more on west coast time... it really works for us. the kids club usually has a movie going for the last hour with pillows etc... it lets the kids settle down - they're ready for bed when we pick them up.

btw - we've done it this way since our little ones were just two and up.

just a thought..

enjoy your cruise.

-Teresa

This would be an awesome idea, but our youngest will be too little for the kids club and I am worried about bringing a cranky 2yo to dinner!!!

I have the same problem on the Freedom in October! my girls are 6 & 9 and we wanted to repeat the awesome cruise on Freedom in January but it just won't be the same if our schedules are off. We are East Coast and have to go right back to getting up at 6 as soon as we get home. I am just crossing my fingers at this point, TA says we should be ok.

Jen - stay on the waiting list. Keep checking back with the cruiseline to see if you've moved up in position, and to see if My Time Dining opens up. There will be considerable movement around the time final payment is due, so you might have a good chance then.

If you do not clear the wait list, don't panic. Get onboard the ship as early as possible (like 11:30am or so), and go directly to the dining room. The maitre-d is usually there, and put in your request to move to early dining, or get My time Dining. He will usually accomodate your preference by the second day of the cruise.

Just a note, on our first cruise, my kids were 10 and 8, and we were "stuck" with late dining because we didn't know better and didn't speak to the maitre-d once onboard. It wasn't as much of a disaster as we thought it might be. We went up to the windjammer for a snack around 5:30-6, then took a nap/rest before dinner, and all went very well.

Archived