cancellation due to loss of family member

The only reason we would buy trip insurance for our upcoming cruise is due to the fact that we have a close relative with a heart condition, has been ill for years, but in the event something happens we would cancel the cruise of course. So is this something that would be covered and we would get our points back (through HGVC) or would it be considered a pre-existing condition and we would simply lose the points and money we paid? Does anyone know, or can they point me to an expert who can tell me for sure. If anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it. First cruise, we're not experts by a long shot.

The only reason we would buy trip insurance for our upcoming cruise is due to the fact that we have a close relative with a heart condition, has been ill for years, but in the event something happens we would cancel the cruise of course. So is this something that would be covered and we would get our points back (through HGVC) or would it be considered a pre-existing condition and we would simply lose the points and money we paid? Does anyone know, or can they point me to an expert who can tell me for sure. If anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it. First cruise, we're not experts by a long shot.

It will depend on the policy you're looking at. A couple of questions:

Is this person traveling with you?

What is the person's relationship to you?

Have you booked the cruise already?

Have you made the final payment yet on the cruise if already booked?

Is this person's condition stable -- no change in the treatment (including any medications) for the last 180 days?

First of all, only HGVC can tell you if you would get your points back in the case of a cancellation or if they would be forfeited. Second, if they are forfeited none of the major third-party insurers will cover that loss. HGVC may have their own in-house insurance plan that would cover that -- only they would know. Some of the third-party plans -- but not all -- will cover any fees charged by HGVC to have those points put back in your account in the case of a cancellation but that cost would have to be included in the trip cost you insured.

Archived