Greece - Best and worst ports to stop at

Embracedbylife

It's most likely that the only ports that the big ships will call at will be the following:-

Athens, Katakolon, Mykonos, Santorini, perhaps Rhodes: all Greek ports;

Istanbul, Kusadasi: both Turkish ports.

All of these are exceptional ports of call. All can also provide a day from hell, if you're unfortunate or things just don't work out.

We are anxiously waiting for Princess to roll out their 2011 itineraries to book a cruise to Greece. In anticipation of selecting the right itinerary, what ports do you recommend as must see's and which are not so important ports to see? Thanks!

A couple of things to think about - do you like scenery vs. history (or both).

Athens (Port is Piraeus) and the acropolis are must sees at least once.

Rhodes gives you a nice balance of scenery and history.

For scenery - I would also suggest ports like Corfu, Santorini

For history - Kusadesi (Turkey but as previous poster mentioned, will likely be part of your itinerary), Crete (port is Iraklion I think)

Mykonos - was there for an afternoon and evening, which was just about right - it's a "been there done that port"

Couple of other tips: If you take a ship sailing from Venice and are able to get a balcony - get one on the Port side of the ship (otherwise get up to the deck and get a spot on the Port side). Ships leave Venice via the Grand Canal which means you get a nice tour of the key sites from the Port side of the ship.

Cheers,

CG

Port preference can be such a personal thing--as has been mentioned, it depends on what one likes to do--sun/fun, beaches, towns, shopping, tours, museums, ruins/history, food/wineries, religious sites, et cetera.

While I can't even imagine a 'worst' Greek port--here's my (highly personal, highly subjective) ranking, had I not been before, of the ports I have visited:

1) Santorini

2) Rhodes

3) Crete

4) Athens (Piraeus)

5) Katakolon (Ancient Olympia)

6) Mykonos

7) Corfu

Anywhere in Greece (apart from the non-descript part of athens, and industrial zones), is great!

Enjoy your cruise!

Kevin

Archived