CRUISE VIRGIN- Need lots of help!

amocksun

Thanks so much! Can I ask, what is OBC?

First, I would like to say congratulations!

This is going to be your honeymoon, a vacation like no other. My honeymoon was also a cruise. It was a different experience than my other cruises. You and your future husband will be in so much bliss, you will be a world of your own. You got some very good advice here. Since you know you will be getting gifts, you might want to think of suggesting obc for your cruiseline of choice. Whatever is leftover, the cruiseline will give back to you.

It is all up to you on how much you want to spend on the ship, except gratuity ($10.00 per day per person), which they definitely deserve.

You said you heard Carnival is the fun ship. I am in my 40's and I am not a drinker and it was my favorite. Remember, it will be what you make out of it. I can tell with your positive attitude you will have a great time.

OBC is on board credit... and while you will see some ugly people out there, just remember that most of us are nice people. Generally the people who accuse are the onces with the problems. So to speak...

Let any of us know if you need anything ......

It sounds like you are wanting to take an excessive amount of alcohol on. You are setting yourself up for disaster. People get alcohol on, yes. But they don't go overboard strapping it to their body and filling every space they can in their luggage.

If they find a lot of it in your bags and you know that's a possibility they may go through all of them. Wouldn't be surprised if you got a pat down too if it's a huge amount and I'm sure you'd be nervous acting so they'd know something was up after they found it in the first bag.

Is it really worth risking losing your $$ and honeymoon vacation by taking smuggling to the extreme?

No, but do they ever not let you on and keep your money? I thought they just took it.

It sounds like you are wanting to take an excessive amount of alcohol on. You are setting yourself up for disaster. People get alcohol on, yes. But they don't go overboard strapping it to their body and filling every space they can in their luggage.

If they find a lot of it in your bags and you know that's a possibility they may go through all of them. Wouldn't be surprised if you got a pat down too if it's a huge amount and I'm sure you'd be nervous acting so they'd know something was up after they found it in the first bag.

Is it really worth risking losing your $$ and honeymoon vacation by taking smuggling to the extreme?

You're right! And I appreciate all the nice people so much! I've learned A LOT today and I'm SOO excited!

OBC is on board credit... and while you will see some ugly people out there, just remember that most of us are nice people. Generally the people who accuse are the onces with the problems. So to speak...

Let any of us know if you need anything ......

No, but do they ever not let you on and keep your money? I thought they just took it.

I'm sure it's happened in extreme cases. I would think finding suitcases full and finding it strapped on you would be considered an extreme case and they'd use that opportunity to set an example. Not a risk I would take. If you are going to smuggle keep it reasonable or risk your $$.

I know they turn people away for not having the proper ID too. Even though they are paid in full and standing at the port gate.

I think it's totally irresponsible to encourage a new cruiser to do something like this knowing it's not you that is on the line for humiliation or $$ if they get busted. Then you sit back here and say oh wow I didn't think you'd really get caught, too bad.

I never told her not to smuggle what I think about that doesn't matter. I told her not to get carried away doing it so it draws attention to them. But it sounds like she doesn't care if she gets caught or not or what happens just don't come back crying if your vacation is ruined and you have to go alcohol free or not at all.

Geez, why are people so touchy around here? Aren't cruises supposed to be fun? If you don't approve of smuggling, why open the threads?

I appreciate every bit of advice I've gotten on here but it sucks that everyone argues so much. This is about a fun subject- it shouldn't be unpleasant to talk about!

And also.. just read all their "other posts" and you will start to see negative patterns on almost all of the posts they reply to. So take that into consideration and then meet me down at the corner liquor store so we can store up, tape the booze all over our bodies. Plant it in everyones suitcases and get drunk out of our minds...

This is argueing? LOL

You are the one that kept stressing you couldn't afford to buy drinks, you were strapped for cash etc. So doesnt' it make sense to try to do it right and get the drinks on board instead of going hog wild and getting busted in the process?

Maybe I'm confused as to what your real problem was. Starting to think the others were right.

Maybe not arguing, but certainly a hateful tone :D

This is argueing? LOL

You are the one that kept stressing you couldn't afford to buy drinks, you were strapped for cash etc. So doesnt' it make sense to try to do it right and get the drinks on board instead of going hog wild and getting busted in the process?

Maybe I'm confused as to what your real problem was. Starting to think the others were right.

The only tone in a post is the tone you put in it when you read it. I personally could care less if you smuggle that whole liquor store. If you are willing to risk it knowing the consequences go for it. Just thought from your lack of $$ post that it was something you might not want to risk to that extent so you had a chance of actually having a decent honeymoon.

Right...OK then, thanks for your input!

The only tone in a post is the tone you put in it when you read it. I personally could care less if you smuggle that whole liquor store. If you are willing to risk it knowing the consequences go for it. Just thought from your lack of $$ post that it was something you might not want to risk to that extent so you had a chance of actually having a decent honeymoon.

Hello everyone! I am trying to book a cruise for my honeymoon in May and I have SO many questions I'd like answered before I book and I'd like to book in the next couple of days.

Neither of us have ever traveled (unfortunately) save by car and there are so many things we aren't sure about. I'm also the kind of person who likes to compare all my options and ask all my questions before I make plans.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any advice from anyone, and I guess I'll just start asking away!

~What is the best way to get the cheapest cruise? Is any one line cheaper than the rest?

~Someone told me Carnival was the party ship, Norwegian was in between, and Holland America was for senior citizens. What about the others, are there any low-priced ones that have a younger crowd? Is Norwegian leaning more one way (old v. young) than the other? Are any of them "bad", as far as cleanliness, activities, etc?

~We're looking at going to possibly Freeport, Naussau, Cozumel, Key West, do any of these need a passport? Should I be concerned about diseases, etc. in any of the places? I'd prefer to not drink the water in anywhere not on US soil, so how much are the bottled waters on the ship?

~Excursions- I've heard that it's better not to pay for them. Does anyone think it's worth it? What kind of stuff is included in them? How much are they (ballpark)? If I don't go on any, can we experience as much? How do we use money in somewhere like Cozumel? Do a lot of people speak English on those stops? Are there a lot of con artists? Also, we really want to go snorkeling, how much is that usually (again, ballpark-$20? $60?) How likely are you to be stung by a jellyfish (I'm scared lol)?

~On the ship, any advice? Are the cabins claustrophobic? Are any of the included food places open all night? You don't have to be in your room at a certain time, do you? Are the people social, like do a lot of people want to meet friends?

~Alcohol. I have A LOT of interest in this, because it will mean the difference in probably hundreds of dollars. We are barely able to pay for this in the first place, and we want to smuggle and do it in the best way possible. What is the best way, Rumrunner bags? Spray bottles in toiletries bag? Shampoo bottles? I read here that the porters are just looking for safety violations and don't care what's in your bag, is that true? So should we check our bags, or carryon? Are certain ships worse about this than others?

My friend said she brought a cooler on and had vodka in water bottles, but I thought most cruises won't allow any outside drinks. Would that have been Princess? Do any others allow this?

Also, could we put the Rumrunner bags under our clothes when we walk on? Do they pat you down or anything?

I think that's about all my questions. Again, ANY help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

A cruise virgin? Honeymoon? You don't need any help. You'll figure it out! :)

Seriously. Have fun and don't get 'information overload' from this site. There are many 'experts' here. You have to sift through it all to see what fits you. No matter what you do though, you WILL have fun!

Back to some of the other questions you asked but I don't think have been address. Buying bottled water onboard can be pricey. It took a couple cruises for us to figure out that the tap water onboard is about as good as most bottled water. The ships make their water using desalination and it produces good clean water. We usually bring a water bottle with us and refill it. I would avoid drinking non bottled water ashore.

One other consideration with shore excursions. One benefit with booking an excursion with the cruise line is that the ship will not leave port until all cruise line sponsored excursions have returned to the ship. No so with private excursions.

So if we are wanting to do an excursion that is a distance from the ship it tends to pay for the ship's excursion. But just walking around town is a good way to spend the day.

If you would like to go snorkeling, which I love to do, you might consider buy your own mask and snorkel at home and packing them. We also bring our own fins. Often I research some good snorkeling places near the ship and just take a taxi. But as I said before if it is a distance we will use the ships excursion.

Ok, i'm going to catch flack for this but here goes: I would get a couple of the largeish rum runners, and fill'em with your beverage of choice. Lay them flat in your suitcase, above and below them stack shoes. As long as they don't look like bottle type spaces on the xrays they should get through just fine. (remember to put the rumrunners in large ziploc baggies) Now go enjoy your cruise. Do buy a drink-of-the-day, just remember to ask for a regular glass, it will be cheaper. If you really want to get serious about the drink, make friends with one bartender (whichever bar becomes your favorite) and by make friends with, I mean tip very well, and he will make you good strong drinks which means you will need to buy fewer per day (hopefully)

Shore excursions are a huge waste of time for me, unless they have a really good beach close by, a short cab ride is fine. Otherwise, enjoy an entire ship to yourself on shore days. No one says you have to get off, if its relaxation you want, thats the time to get it.

My first cruise I took 3 bottles had no problems getting them aboard. In fact I had to bring 2 of them home. LOL

Take half the clothes you think you will need and twice the money.

There's no reason you have to go expensive, you don't need to do EVERYTHING! Lots of things on board to do that don't cost extra.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, remember to get to the port the day before you set sail.

One thing, take your normal clothes. don't run out and spend money on "cruise wear". Just make sure you have some comfy shoes for the walking all over days.

If money is a consideration, think interior cabin. There the cheapest, and I spend so much time on deck, it just makes more since. I change in the cabin and sleep. Cabins are very comfy and are made for sleeping..lol

Good Luck!

Thank you! And you too Gypsy!

I think we're going to do Carnival's excursion to the Mayan ruins-that's the whole reason we chose Cozumel. I'm going to major in archaeology when I go back to school and seeing ruins is about the most exciting thing I can think of :) That's probably the only excursion we'll do, and I think it has snorkeling with it too. My friend did say that she cruised to Cozumel before, and found a beach that was like $10 to get into and then all you can drink drinks. That obviously sounds fun, especially since I think we're staying there till like 11. I guess that's a locally run kind of thing? Are they hard to find? Also, I've always heard not to drink the water in Mexico- is it OK to drink beer and mixed drinks? Ice? Food?

Also, why do we need to arrive in the port town the day before?

Ok, i'm going to catch flack for this but here goes: I would get a couple of the largeish rum runners, and fill'em with your beverage of choice. Lay them flat in your suitcase, above and below them stack shoes. As long as they don't look like bottle type spaces on the xrays they should get through just fine. (remember to put the rumrunners in large ziploc baggies) Now go enjoy your cruise. Do buy a drink-of-the-day, just remember to ask for a regular glass, it will be cheaper. If you really want to get serious about the drink, make friends with one bartender (whichever bar becomes your favorite) and by make friends with, I mean tip very well, and he will make you good strong drinks which means you will need to buy fewer per day (hopefully)

Shore excursions are a huge waste of time for me, unless they have a really good beach close by, a short cab ride is fine. Otherwise, enjoy an entire ship to yourself on shore days. No one says you have to get off, if its relaxation you want, thats the time to get it.

My first cruise I took 3 bottles had no problems getting them aboard. In fact I had to bring 2 of them home. LOL

Take half the clothes you think you will need and twice the money.

There's no reason you have to go expensive, you don't need to do EVERYTHING! Lots of things on board to do that don't cost extra.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, remember to get to the port the day before you set sail.

One thing, take your normal clothes. don't run out and spend money on "cruise wear". Just make sure you have some comfy shoes for the walking all over days.

If money is a consideration, think interior cabin. There the cheapest, and I spend so much time on deck, it just makes more since. I change in the cabin and sleep. Cabins are very comfy and are made for sleeping..lol

Good Luck!

Thank you! And you too Gypsy!

I think we're going to do Carnival's excursion to the Mayan ruins-that's the whole reason we chose Cozumel. I'm going to major in archaeology when I go back to school and seeing ruins is about the most exciting thing I can think of :) That's probably the only excursion we'll do, and I think it has snorkeling with it too. My friend did say that she cruised to Cozumel before, and found a beach that was like $10 to get into and then all you can drink drinks. That obviously sounds fun, especially since I think we're staying there till like 11. I guess that's a locally run kind of thing? Are they hard to find? Also, I've always heard not to drink the water in Mexico- is it OK to drink beer and mixed drinks? Ice? Food?

Also, why do we need to arrive in the port town the day before?

Sounds like a great investment for the Mayan Ruins. I would love to do that.

When we were in Cozumel it was about 6 months after it was hit by the hurricanes in 2005. Most of snorkeling places were closed because of the damage. We took our snorkel gear, got a cab and asked him to take to a place that we could snorkel and had a bar. It was one of our favorite days! We did some snorkeling and had a few cheap beers and were very welcomed. The locals told us how happy they were to see the ships coming back.

I drink beer or canned soft drink in Mexico. I would be careful of ice in mixed drinks if you have sensitive stomach.

Yes - fly in the night before a get a cheap hotel. No sense saving $60 bucks but the airline cancels your flight and you miss your cruise. Plus, you will be better rested to start your cruise.

We live in Seattle and we still fly in the night before if we are cruising out of LA. It is a 2 hours flight and there are a lot of flights during the day but I still don't trust the airlines.

LOL! You mean like someone who would accuse a stranger of having a drinking problem because they want to drink alcohol on their honeymoon? Yea, I'm seeing a lot of pathetic people here. Who knew so many cruisers were so ugly.

The beauty of these boards is that we all can have an opinion and express them. I'm not a troll or a flamer, just check out my previous other posts on CC.

I probably came off way too hard but I do think you need to evaluate your train of thought in the "bringing alchohol on board" plan.

Also as it has been said in other posts, :)congratulations:) on getting married and choosing a cruise for a honeymoon.

I think it's totally irresponsible to encourage a new cruiser to do something like this knowing it's not you that is on the line for humiliation or $$ if they get busted. Then you sit back here and say oh wow I didn't think you'd really get caught, too bad.

I never told her not to smuggle what I think about that doesn't matter. I told her not to get carried away doing it so it draws attention to them. But it sounds like she doesn't care if she gets caught or not or what happens just don't come back crying if your vacation is ruined and you have to go alcohol free or not at all.

I agree completely, if they find some you open yourself up for more screening and humiliation. Also they will confiscate what they find and they can deny you entry. Lets not forget that when you try to or suceed in bringing alchohol on board you are breaking a binding contract with the cruise line i.e. THE CRUISE CONTRACT. This is a legal document you sign prior to boarding the ship.

Archived