Passport Help

Elayne01

Hi everyone ... I need your help please….On 4/4/2010 I will be going on a 7-Day Southern Caribbean Cruise on Princess Caribbean and I have applied for my passport, I am hoping that I get it in time.

**If it is not back in time I would like to know if I need my passport at any of the ports.

I am porting out of San Juan and will be going to the following ports: St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia & Barbados.

Hi everyone ... I need your help please….

On 4/4/2010 I will be going on a 7-Day Southern Caribbean Cruise on Princess Caribbean

and I have applied for my passport, I am hoping that I get it in time.

**If it is not back in time I would like to know if I need my passport at any of the ports.

I am porting out of San Juan and will be going to the following ports: St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia & Barbados.

No, you'll go ashore 'Carte Blanche' on the strength of your cruise-card/cabin-key thing :)

but it wouldn't hurt to also go ashore with one additional piece of photo I.D.

Some Pier Security officers need to see photo ID as well as your card

in order to let you back into the secure pier area

when you want to get back on the ship.

The most important part is not whether you can enter these ports on an other valid ID, including your cruise card, but whether or not the US allows you to leave and re-enter the US on anything other than a Passport. Hadn't the laws changed, or was that just for Air flights. I know as a US Citizen you don't need a passport for Puerto Rico, but you may have to have one if you are cruising from there. I'd highly recommend checking with the cruise line and making sure you are covered in that respect.

I am a US Citizen I have all my docs and also doubled checked with Princess, all my docs are fine to check-in, but I hope to get my passport in time. I am so ready :) 19 days to go and counting. Thank you all for your help.:)

You will need your passport to get back into San Juan. I hope yours arrives in time. If it does not arrive in time, your drivers license and ORIGINAL birth certificate will suffice.

I just booked thru Carnival, and was told, and confirmed on website, that you do not need a Passport if you are sailing from, and back to, a US port.

They suggest that you have one, in case of emergency: :( miss the ship and need to fly to the next port, need to fly home from one of the ports, etc.

also advised that is is just easier at the airport if you have a passport.

No need to stress too much if it doesn't arrive in time. You can still go on the trip without it.

Interesting....virtually everyone in the UK has a passport.

As far as I know if you haven't got one you don't travel out of the UK.

That's pretty much the situation for every country on the planet, except..

jtd and aplmac.. it's unfortunate that the majority of people in the US feel they don't need one. But it actually is the best form of ID to carry when traveling.

I've had a US passport for over 25 years.. my children, us citizens born abroad, will never be able to travel on anything other than their US passport. so it's just something you plan for, remember to get renewed.. and done. kind of like having to renew your drivers license.. it's just done.

AND .. most countries now require US Citizens to have a Passport.. and at the moment, it's only cruising out of a US port that doesn't.. flying requires one.. sooo.. slowly slowly

Archived