Ottawa Day pre-cruise from Montreal

Can someone please give me a suggested full day itinerary from Montreal to Ottawa? We will be in Montreal pre-cruise at the end of August and are considering taking the train to Ottawa for the day. This will be on the last Friday of the month.

If you can include train/schedule info (I understand subject to change) that would be great. Note that my DH does not like museums, especially art museums with the exception of science museums (we have been to the science museum in Montreal). I love art so if the art museum is included please give suggestions of where he can go for an hour and a half, etc. What are some suggestions for lunch along the way?

Also, we are planning at staying at either Hotel Nelligan or the Intercontinental in Old Montreal. If one would be easier (or even in walking distance to the train), please let me know. Thank you for the day tour info and suggestions!

• 1 month later...

We are also interested in information about a day trip over to Ottawa from Montreal in September.. we want to see the changing of the guards and any other interesting things to see..

Thanks for your help

We are also interested in information about a day trip over to Ottawa from Montreal in September.. we want to see the changing of the guards and any other interesting things to see..

Thanks for your help

I am glad someone brought this post back up. At first I thought someone was posting a suggested itinerary. Do you know the time of the changing of the guards. That might help to start off with train and bus times/options.

I don't mean to sound callous Jade13, but have you tried Google? Or a travel agent? I think you seriously begin to tread on the goodwill of others when you aren't prepare to supply any effort to at least do some basic initial research on your own.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/cg-gc/guard-garde-eng.asp

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/ottawa/1743010002.html

Scott.

Why are you not spending the day in Montreal?? It's a great city with lots to see and do.

A day trip from Montreal to Ottawa?? You are going to spend most of your day en route!

In our case we have been to Montreal before. We are also already spending multiple days in Montreal.

I don't mean to sound callous Jade13, but have you tried Google? Or a travel agent? I think you seriously begin to tread on the goodwill of others when you aren't prepare to supply any effort to at least do some basic initial research on your own.

Scott.

Excuse me Scott??? How do you know I have not googled nor done any research? I was looking for a suggested day tour from someone who has been there or lives in Ottawa. I have the list of museums but my DH does not want to go to any of them.

I don't think most people consult travel agents when trying to find out about a day tour from a port.

I do not understand the point of your post.

You can take a tour of the Parliament Buildings, Canadian Museum of Civilization, The Royal Canadian Mint..lot of different things to see & do there

http://www.ottawatourism.ca/en/visitors/ottawa-by-season/ottawa-summer

It is about a 2 hr train trip from MTL to Ottawa

http://www.viarail.ca/en

I do not know where there train stations are in Montreal except the one by the Queen Elizabeth Hotel near the port

either hotel is a short ride to the train station

If you can spend overnight in Ottawa it is worthwhile ..lots to keep you busy Downtown

Lyn

I do not understand the point of your post.

My apologies if you took offence. :o

Your original post

Can someone please give me a suggested full day itinerary from Montreal to Ottawa? If you can include train/schedule info (I understand subject to change) that would be great. Note that my DH does not like museums, especially art museums with the exception of science museums (we have been to the science museum in Montreal). I love art so if the art museum is included please give suggestions of where he can go for an hour and a half, etc.

reads to me like you're not too interested in doing the most basic of research yourself, but then again, it's rained all day here so I just may be in a crusty mood. My apologies if I have offended you. It wasn't intended as such. Scott.

My apologies if you took offence. :o

Your original post

reads to me like you're not too interested in doing the most basic of research yourself, but then again, it's rained all day here so I just may be in a crusty mood. My apologies if I have offended you. It wasn't intended as such. Scott.

Scott, apology accepted.

Btw, I have a research background.

You can take a tour of the Parliament Buildings, Canadian Museum of Civilization, The Royal Canadian Mint..lot of different things to see & do there

http://www.ottawatourism.ca/en/visitors/ottawa-by-season/ottawa-summer

It is about a 2 hr train trip from MTL to Ottawa

http://www.viarail.ca/en

I do not know where there train stations are in Montreal except the one by the Queen Elizabeth Hotel near the port

either hotel is a short ride to the train station

If you can spend overnight in Ottawa it is worthwhile ..lots to keep you busy Downtown

Lyn

Lyn,

Thanks for the train link. I love trains. Apparently we need to wait until May 11th for the new schedule. But as far as a day trip, will need whatever is between 7:00am-8:00am to get to Ottawa at a reasonable time and 2:30pm return (based on current schedule) to be back in Montreal by 5:00pm, so it would be half the time traveling. I wonder how scenic a train ride it would be at the end of August?

"Please take note that changes to the schedule of the Ottawa-Montréal route will take effect May 11, 2010. This new schedule has been adapted to our customers' needs."

Lyn,

Thanks for the train link. I love trains. Apparently we need to wait until May 11th for the new schedule. But as far as a day trip, will need whatever is between 7:00am-8:00am to get to Ottawa at a reasonable time and 2:30pm return (based on current schedule) to be back in Montreal by 5:00pm, so it would be half the time traveling. "

Not sure where you were looking but they depart weekdays in Aug at 640am or 1015 am

Return: dep at 1835 arr MTL 2028

or dep 1655 arr MTL 1845

Sat Deps 730 am

last train 1750

https://reservia.viarail.ca/search/tripresult.aspx?t=D

If you can stay over in Ottawa they have a light/music show at the Parliament buildings

• 1 month later...

Having just got back from a weekend in Ottawa, I can recommend a tour of the Parliament buildings (1 hour, free), a tour of Rideau Hall, residence of the governor general [Canadian ahead of state] (also about an hour, also free), the National Art Gallery (cost varies, depending on if you just want to see the permanent collection, or one or more of the special exhibitions).

I know the OP said "no museums", but there are museums and then there are museums. If anyone in your family is interested in aviation, the Aviation & Space Museum is worth a visit. (Adults $9). The Canadian War Museum is a powerful experience, but probably of more interest to Canadians. I would skip the Museum of Science & Technology, it is mainly set up for younger kids (ages 8-11) and is well outside the downtown core.

Unfortunately the fascinating Diefenbunker--an 4-level underground nuclear shelter built in the 1950s to house the Canadian government in the case of a nuclear war--is about 40 miles outside the city.

Having just got back from a weekend in Ottawa, I can recommend a tour of the Parliament buildings (1 hour, free), a tour of Rideau Hall, residence of the governor general [Canadian ahead of state] (also about an hour, also free), the National Art Gallery (cost varies, depending on if you just want to see the permanent collection, or one or more of the special exhibitions).

I know the OP said "no museums", but there are museums and then there are museums. If anyone in your family is interested in aviation, the Aviation & Space Museum is worth a visit. (Adults $9). The Canadian War Museum is a powerful experience, but probably of more interest to Canadians. I would skip the Museum of Science & Technology, it is mainly set up for younger kids (ages 8-11) and is well outside the downtown core.

Unfortunately the fascinating Diefenbunker--an 4-level underground nuclear shelter built in the 1950s to house the Canadian government in the case of a nuclear war--is about 40 miles outside the city.

Pepperwood, thank you for the update!

My DH doesn't like (art) museums but I do. Do you have a link to the government tours? Do you have to sign up in advance, etc? Thanks.

I just spent a long stay at the Montreal Inter-Continental. It is a newly redone, very modern hotel. Our WiFi never worked but other than that it was very nice....if you like modern style.

The walk to railroad station by the Queen Elizabeth Hotel (Le Reine Elizabeth Hotel) is a steep walk uphill. Really a taxi is a much better idea than walking although I did the walk a few times. 2 Metro tickets at C$2.50 each is almost as much as a taxi. The Inter-Continental backs up to Old Montreal. The Nelligan is in Old Montreal.

Pepperwood, thank you for the update!

My DH doesn't like (art) museums but I do. Do you have a link to the government tours? Do you have to sign up in advance, etc? Thanks.

There are no advance reservations for groups of less than 10. When you arrive at the Parliament buildings, you will see they are divided into three blocks (Centre, West & East). From October to April, go to the Visitor Welcome Centre located at the base of the Peace Tower (the clock tower). From May to September, go to the white tent set up between the Centre and West blocks. Ask for a ticket for the next available English tour.

(BTW, here's a hint for Ottawa and Montreal--often when you are greeted by a front desk clerk, food attendant, tour operator, etc., the person will say "Hello bonjour". This is shorthand for "Do you speak English or French?" Say "Hello" in response and they will continue in English.)

Note that there is a security screening similar to what you would go through at an airport--backpacks x-rayed, pockets emptied, etc. If you are carrying a pocketknife or similar, it will be bagged and tagged, and you can retrieve it after the tour from the security desk by the exit doors.

Photography is allowed in all spaces of the parliament buildings except the parliamentary library (which is too bad, since it is a beautiful space and the only part of the buildings that survived a fire in 1916.) You will not actually be allowed on to the floor the House of Commons or Senate chamber, but photos can be shot through the back windows. For that matter, if the HofC or Senate is actually sitting, you will only be allowed into the outer lobby, and if there is something special going on on the day of your visit--opening of a new Parliament, visiting dignitaries, Throne Speech, etc--tours may be considerably shortened.

After the tour, you can take an elevator to the top of the Peace Tower, (although the lineup for the elevator can be slow). If the House of Commons or the Senate is sitting and you want to watch the proceedings for a few minutes, you can also check if there is a seat available in either public gallery.

For more info, see http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Sites/LOP/Visitors/planning-e.asp

There are no advance reservations for groups of less than 10. When you arrive at the Parliament buildings, you will see they are divided into three blocks (Centre, West & East). From October to April, go to the Visitor Welcome Centre located at the base of the Peace Tower (the clock tower). From May to September, go to the white tent set up between the Centre and West blocks. Ask for a ticket for the next available English tour.

(BTW, here's a hint for Ottawa and Montreal--often when you are greeted by a front desk clerk, food attendant, tour operator, etc., the person will say "Hello bonjour". This is shorthand for "Do you speak English or French?" Say "Hello" in response and they will continue in English.)

Note that there is a security screening similar to what you would go through at an airport--backpacks x-rayed, pockets emptied, etc. If you are carrying a pocketknife or similar, it will be bagged and tagged, and you can retrieve it after the tour from the security desk by the exit doors.

Photography is allowed in all spaces of the parliament buildings except the parliamentary library (which is too bad, since it is a beautiful space and the only part of the buildings that survived a fire in 1916.) You will not actually be allowed on to the floor the House of Commons or Senate chamber, but photos can be shot through the back windows. For that matter, if the HofC or Senate is actually sitting, you will only be allowed into the outer lobby, and if there is something special going on on the day of your visit--opening of a new Parliament, visiting dignitaries, Throne Speech, etc--tours may be considerably shortened.

After the tour, you can take an elevator to the top of the Peace Tower, (although the lineup for the elevator can be slow). If the House of Commons or the Senate is sitting and you want to watch the proceedings for a few minutes, you can also check if there is a seat available in either public gallery.

For more info, see http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Sites/LOP/Visitors/planning-e.asp

Very interesting, thank you so much.

• 8 months later...

When our son began attending Ottawa U we also began more frequent visits to Ottawa. We have gained a renewed appreciation for this wonderful city. We only live 4 hours away and truly love going to visit both our son and Ottawa. The city will soon be in full bloom with tulips http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tulip_Festival which is magnificent. I thought of starting a new thread but found this one and decided to bump it back to the top for others to read.

Ottawa has lots to offer visitors, all variety of museums, gardens, walking trails, the Rideau canal, interesting shopping near the American Embassy at the Byward Market, http://www.byward-market.com/en/about/aboutus_index.htm

Ottawa has a great public transit system as well. It is an easy train ride from Montreal. Visitors could also easily fly to Ottawa first and take the train to their cruise in either Montreal or Quebec. If you have the time, maybe schedule an additional visit.

Can someone please give me a suggested full day itinerary from Montreal to Ottawa? We will be in Montreal pre-cruise at the end of August and are considering taking the train to Ottawa for the day. This will be on the last Friday of the month.

If you can include train/schedule info (I understand subject to change) that would be great. Note that my DH does not like museums, especially art museums with the exception of science museums (we have been to the science museum in Montreal). I love art so if the art museum is included please give suggestions of where he can go for an hour and a half, etc. What are some suggestions for lunch along the way?

Also, we are planning at staying at either Hotel Nelligan or the Intercontinental in Old Montreal. If one would be easier (or even in walking distance to the train), please let me know. Thank you for the day tour info and suggestions!

I can't help with a full itinerary, but can tell you something I love that most people miss-- the Bank of Canada Museum. This isn't to be confused with the Mint. It's just a small museum about the history of money and with examples.

http://www.currencymuseum.ca/

For meals in Ottawa, walk around the ByWard Market area. We've lucked out several times with good meals in that area.

Viv

Archived