Cremation/Burial at sea ?

Tobey 1968

I've scattered ashes of my mother and also my father in law. In both cases, we were on private boats. We chartered a boat in Hawaii for my mother and we used my brother's boat in Puget Sound (Seattle) for my father in law. I also provided my boat for a friend to scatter ashes of her husband on Lake Washington. In all of these cases, wind is indeed a factor and I can't imagine doing this off a cruise ship. I have a very bad visual of what The Kuhn Family experienced. You really need to be low to the waterline to do this ceremony properly. If you must do this on a cruise ship, my advice would be to charter a private boat at one of the island destinations. I think the experience will be a lot more personal and you will not have to share your ashes with other cruise guests.

Update on my father. He received a difibrulator (sp) implant on Friday and was moved to a rehab facility. I brought him home for Christmas dinner and he's walking, talking and pretty well on his way to making a full recovery. It's just amazing that two weeks ago we were talking about spreading his ashes. The best Christmas gift ever :)

In all of these cases, wind is indeed a factor and I can't imagine doing this off a cruise ship.

My understanding is that, when done off the cruise ship, it is done from a low deck. The ashes are left in a biodegradable container, so there is little to no danger of blow-back. The ship is slowed, and the officers make sure the wind speed/direction is favorable.

Ah, the past two posts makes sense. Glad to hear there are environmental options available. I still think chartering a private boat at one of the islands is a great way to do the ceremony, especially on a sailboat. It is so serene and peaceful and we added flower leis and Gardenias before and after the ashes were scattered on the Pacific ... I know my Mom looked down with a smile :)

Archived