Comparing Scooters

harrynterry

I am so confused! I have foot and knee problems and after many surgeries I am about as good as I will be. Since walking longer distances or standing for any length of time is a problem the time has come to purchase a scooter. I have read about the Travelscoot, Pride Go-Go Elite, Luggie and the Easy Light Delux. Please share with me the pros & cons of any of these or another one you have had good luck with. We love to travel so I am looking for something easy to manage to go shopping, get thru the airport and on and off a cruise ship. Thanks!!

I am so confused! I have foot and knee problems and after many surgeries I am about as good as I will be. Since walking longer distances or standing for any length of time is a problem the time has come to purchase a scooter. I have read about the Travelscoot, Pride Go-Go Elite, Luggie and the Easy Light Delux. Please share with me the pros & cons of any of these or another one you have had good luck with. We love to travel so I am looking for something easy to manage to go shopping, get thru the airport and on and off a cruise ship. Thanks!!

While this forum can provide you with some of the pros and cons of these scooters, this information doesn't replace the fact that you need to seek a professional accessment from a Physical and/or Occupational therapist before making such an investment. Everyones' personal needs vary depending on the disability and reason for needing the scooter. With out having had the proper accessment from a professional you could do more arm to your body by not having purchased the right equipment. With that said here are some of the pros/cons as I see them. Certain that you will receive conflicting information as I stated everyones needs are different.

• Travelscoot
  • Pros - the lightest weight scooter available, extremely portable weighs about 35lbs depending on the battery selected . Folds up easy and compact to be stored in a duffle like storage bag.
  • Cons - Does not have a reverse gear. You have to use your own legs to push into reverse. Seat does not swivel . Does not fit through the doorway of a standard cruise cabin door. You'll have to get off of it and fold it up or book a HC accessible cabin. Belt driven motor so you need to travel with extra belts and some tools just in case.

• Luggie
  • Just introduce into the USA Market in January. No information is avaiable on this scooter at this time.

• Easy Light Deluxe
  • Pros - Total weight with battery approx 75 lbs Compact and light, folds and packs easily into any car trunk and can be checked at the airport like any standard luggage. Has a reverse gear.
  • Con - Seat does not swivel so getting on/off with leg knee problems might be a little harder for someone with knee leg problems. 22.5" wide which will not fit through the door of a standard cruise cabin. You'll have to book a HC accessible cabin.

• Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler
  • Pros - Breaks down into 5 easy pieces so it can be transported in the trunk of a car. Can get a heavy duty battery for longer distance range. Has a reverse gear. Seat swivels making it easier to get on/off the scooter. Offered in both 3 wheel and 4 wheel models. 3 Wheel Models fits through the doorway of most standard cruise cabins. 4 wheel model offers more stability.
  • Cons - 3 wheel model does not offer the stabilty that the 4 wheel model does. The 4 wheel model needs a wider turning radius and the overall size if wider than the 3 wheel model. Making the 4 wheel version unable to be driven through the doorway of a standard cruise cabin.

All of these scooters can be brought onto a plane. Since they are mobility devices the airlines cannot charge a fee.

I strongly agree with the suggestion of getting a professional assessment of your needs before selecting a scooter. If I had been on my own I would have selected an electric wheelchair instead of a scooter. Given my specific problems I am better with a scooter since I can get closer to the seat before sitting.

That said, I now own two scooters. I have a large heavy duty Rascal that needs to be transported with a lift on the back of the car. I do not travel out of town with this scooter but it is excellent for shopping, going to the park with my grandchildren and traveling around my neighborhood. For travel I purchased a travel scoot. It does not have a reverse which I don't need as I just travel "Fred Flintstone" style if I need to go backwards. The chair will swivel, there is a locking mechanism that must be released for this to happen and someone else has to do it as it is under the seat and I can't reach it. This has been a good purchase for me as it is so easy to transport.

I travel with a Pride GO-Go Elite Traveler Plus scooter. I love that it is small and lightweight and fairly comfortable to ride for longer periods of time. I have used this little scooter for school and vacations and general shopping. I can lift this in and out of our van by only taking the seat and battery off and be able to handle it by myself without breaking it down. Another thing I like is that with 2 people it can be lifted and placed in the vehicle without breaking down. I found that I could even handle it by breaking it down when I was non-weight bearing by myself. My Mother can also handle it if needed when broken down.

The only issue I have with it is sometimes the ground clearance. I only have had this issue a few times when I tried to use it in a way it was not meant to be used though.

Mine is the 3 wheeled version and I like the fact that it has a tight turning radius. I have never found it to be unsafe or tippy.

I've cruised with my Travelscoot 2x on Carnival Dream and Valor in a non-handicapped room and though I could not "drive" it through the door way it was very easy to just tip the back end slightly to get it through the door way. At first we would take the seat off but then discovered we didn't even have to do that. It didn't take up much room at all in the cabin at all. And when we sailed on the Valor my sister shared the cabin with us and we still manged to get around without the scooter being in the way.

I travel with a Pride GO-Go Elite Traveler Plus scooter.

We are also new owners of this model, and so far, wish we had purchased it years ago. We'll be taking it on our next cruise, and since it measures 21.5" wide with arms removed, we're wondering if we'll be able to scoot through our standard-cabin door. Do you have any experience along these lines?

We are also new owners of this model, and so far, wish we had purchased it years ago. We'll be taking it on our next cruise, and since it measures 21.5" wide with arms removed, we're wondering if we'll be able to scoot through our standard-cabin door. Do you have any experience along these lines?

I have the Pride Go Go Elite Traveller 3 wheel version and it's 19.25" wide. The standard Cabin doorways that I had, have been 20"wide after deducting for the 2" depth of the door. So mine just barely makes the clearance.

Since yours is 21.5" wide than you have the Elite Traveller Plus version which is wider. Suggest you verify the width of the door openning. Remember to deduct 2" for the depth of the door as customer service tends to forget about that factor when quoting.

Due to the width of mine, when we sailed on Carnival, I had to have a modified handicap cabin. They said I needed it to be able to get it in the cabin (of course you could always take it apart and reassemble it every time you want to go in or out of the cabin, but that's a lot of work), and it gave me a bit more room with the set up in order to maneuver it in the room.

Due to the width of mine, when we sailed on Carnival, I had to have a modified handicap cabin. They said I needed it to be able to get it in the cabin (of course you could always take it apart and reassemble it every time you want to go in or out of the cabin, but that's a lot of work), and it gave me a bit more room with the set up in order to maneuver it in the room.

Thanks Peemagg, that confirms what xxoocruiser has been saying. We'll manage.

Archived