QV's disappointing HK visit

secoma4

Cunard has certainly found a way to get a lot of otherwise loyal cruisers off-side. Advising them they will be berthing at the passenger terminal in HK then changing the berth mid-voyage to the HK container terminal was not a good move.

Many disembarking passengers (mainly Australian) had arranged accommodation in HK adjacent to the passenger terminal.

Not only did they find that they wouldn't be docking as advised, but Cunard, in their wisdom, then arranged for their luggage to be delivered to the customs facility at the airport on Lantau. From there it was up to the passengers - at their cost - to find their way back to their accommodation.

Of course for the ongoing passengers being berthed at the container terminal was pretty inconvenient. Not to mention the significant difference in scenery etc.

On a different tack, I would have to say that the food on the QV was, whilst of good quality, disappointing. Having travelled QM2 Grill and on this occasion QV Princess Grill the former was definitely superior. The QV meals are not a patch on those offered by Seabourn for example. Perhaps they are trying to cater for a less demanding, maybe older, market?

Perhaps they are trying to cater for a less demanding, maybe older, market?

Sorry, I don't entirely understand the last remark. Why would an older market be less demanding? In my experience, supported by quite a substantial amount of evidence on this board, people at the older end of the demographic tend to be more demanding, not less.

J

Hong Kong cruise terminal can only handle 2 large or 3 not so large ships at any one time. Unfortunately Hapag-Lloyd's Columbus had a prang in the Philippines and was in Hong Kong for a little longer than usual...add SuperStar Virgo & Star Pisces and that's your lot as far as parking spaces are concerned at the Ocean Terminal..

Most of the bigger ships end up in the containerport, but that should change in a couple years when Kai Tak Cruise Terminal is built, it will be able to cater for the big ships & smaller ones without pushing anyone out to the far reaches of the city.

In 2008 I was very lucky on Costa Allegra and we berthed at the Ocean Cruise Terminal start & finish of the cruise...Star Pisces was right behind us & SuperStar Virgo on the other side of the quay, the 3 ships filled the quays completely so any other visiting cruise ships would have been ousted to the containers. Not an ideal situation but for the time being its all they can do :o

I would have to say that the food on the QV was, whilst of good quality, disappointing. Having travelled QM2 Grill and on this occasion QV Princess Grill the former was definitely superior. The QV meals are not a patch on those offered by Seabourn for example.

It would be helpful if you gave specific comparisons between what you liked on QM2/Seabourn and what you didn't like on QV.

I did QV a while ago, and found the food to be very bad. In fact so bad I had to send meals back, the Chef gave them "Cordon Bleu" names but they had no resemblance to thos elite dishes, in fact we had a rather terse conversation, I was rather sarcastic in the end and suggested he took a refresher course at the Cordon Bleu school in Paris.

The Crepes Suzette were undescribably horrible, as my review mentioned. Never have I had THICK pancakes served on a SOUP plate swimming in a sea of dark brown Choc/Maple Syrup sauce, topped with Vanilla icecream sprinkled with chopped Almonds. and listed on the menu as Crepe Suzette!!!! They were quite disgusting.

I hope that by next Feb when I sail on QV again that they have a different Chef.

I did QV a while ago, and found the food to be very bad.

What rotten luck - we are pretty hard to please food-wise, and had superb food on QV (in Britannia). In fact, it was Todd English we found just a little disappointing.

Perhaps it depends on who's in charge in the kitchen and you drew the short straw?

Mary

During our QV-QG experience last fall, we found ourselves ordering off the ala carte menu more times than not.

Also, the sommelier service was extraordinarily slow -- a minimum of 15 minutes each night until he'd find his way to our table. And then he was very hard to understand (although very nice). There seemed to be only two sommeliers for the entire QG.

What rotten luck - we are pretty hard to please food-wise, and had superb food on QV (in Britannia). In fact, it was Todd English we found just a little disappointing.

Perhaps it depends on who's in charge in the kitchen and you drew the short straw?

Mary

I have now notched up two cruises on QV, both in Britannia, and the food and service have never fallen below a level that I would describe as absolutely superb. I couldn't fault a thing.

But then, just maybe, I am an ignorant lout with the gustatory faculties of an intellectually challenged cockroach.

J

Cunard has certainly found a way to get a lot of otherwise loyal cruisers off-side. Advising them they will be berthing at the passenger terminal in HK then changing the berth mid-voyage to the HK container terminal was not a good move.

Many disembarking passengers (mainly Australian) had arranged accommodation in HK adjacent to the passenger terminal.

Not only did they find that they wouldn't be docking as advised, but Cunard, in their wisdom, then arranged for their luggage to be delivered to the customs facility at the airport on Lantau. From there it was up to the passengers - at their cost - to find their way back to their accommodation.

Of course for the ongoing passengers being berthed at the container terminal was pretty inconvenient. Not to mention the significant difference in scenery etc.

We also were docked at the Container Terminal last month on the QM2. Although it would've been more convenient to be at the cruise terminal, the shuttle bus to the cruise terminal ran on a very regular basis, so we were able to go back and forth to the ship quite easily, and it ran all night so people got to party ashore if they wanted to. We were there on the eve of the Lunar New Year so Hong Kong was really buzzing!

When we disembarked, I was initially concerned by having to take a coach all the way to near the airport to collect our bags, and then take a cab in to town again to go to our hotel, but everything ran so smoothly that it seemed easier than disembarking in Brooklyn. For those who wanted it, there was also the offer of a coach (for a fee) from where we collected our luggage to the hotel near the cruise terminal, but we decided to take a cab right to our hotel any way.

It would certainly have been wonderful to dock at the cruise terminal, and we felt quite envious of the 2 ships docked there, but it really was OK in the end, and we had a fun time in Hong Kong!:) The only problem was that we had to leave the QM2:(

Lesley

I would just like to my put my two cents in, if I may. Personally, and I suspect not many will feel the same way, but I think it would be far more interesting to dock at a container port than a cruise terminal. I mean how many times would one get that opportunity? It would make me feel like an honest to goodness, authentic sailor, and not some pampered cruise passenger that has docked at yet another ho-hum port with all the trappings that always await the tourist. Just think what you might learn?:)

I would just like to my put my two cents in, if I may. Personally, and I suspect not many will feel the same way, but I think it would be far more interesting to dock at a container port than a cruise terminal. I mean how many times would one get that opportunity? It would make me feel like an honest to goodness, authentic sailor, and not some pampered cruise passenger that has docked at yet another ho-hum port with all the trappings that always await the tourist. Just think what you might learn?:)

Rust Bucket City!!! Bring on the container port and I'll be a happy little ship photographer. :)

J

Archived