Need Advice - thinking of trying HAL - your input will be appreciated

Hi,

I'm looking for some honest input here. My wife and I are in our late 30s and as you can see by my signature lines, we're hooked on cruising. As you can also see by my signature - we've never tried HAL. We're considering HAL for a family reunion cruise during the holidays but, would like a comparison of HAL to Princess and Celebrity.

Of course, this being the HAL board, I realize your opinions will be more in favor of HAL. I guess what I'd like to know are the questions listed below, and if I upset or offend anyone, it isn't intentional. These are the possible misconceptions we have in our minds about HAL and that's why we're asking for your honest input.

• Does HAL cater to the over 60 crowd even during summers & holidays?
  • How does HAL compare to Celebrity?
  • Will HAL accept an infant of 3 months old at the time of sailing?
  • How is the food? Please be candid as it is one of our biggest concerns. We like the food on Princess, Celebrity and even Carnival but hated RCCL. Please compare.

Anything else you can add to aid in our decision will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to your responses. And, if you're curious, we're most interested in the Westerdam.

Thanks.

I have not cruised on Celebrity, but many others here have. Also, if you do a search in this forum using the word "celebrity," a number of other threads discussing this topic with pop up, including one from earlier today.

Hope this helps!

Beth

I just got back this weekend on the Grand Princess, and have sailed RCCL. I rate HAL food above both. I was somewhat disappointed in Princess food -- especially the selections (more than taste). At more than one dinner I didn't see anything I really wanted -- and I'm used to having to make a tough choice. I think HAL would be good for a reunion. They always have a wide range of ages and seem to cater to them all. HAL ships may be somewhat smaller than those you have sailed on -- but that's one of the things I like. And they seem very open (Grand Princess dining rooms were closterphobic).

After 19 cruises (7--Celebrity; 5 RCL; 2 Princess; 3 NCL; 2 HAL) this is my take on this:

(Rating)

Food--Celebrity 9.8; HAL 9.2; Princess 7.9; RCL 7.5; NCL 7.0

Service--Celebrity 9.6; HAL 9.0; RCL 8.2; Princess 7.3; NCL 7.0

Entertainment--RCL 9.0; Princess 8.8; Celebrity 8.4; NCL 8.4; HAL 7.2

Cruise Staff--Princess 9.2; RCL 9.0; Celebrity 8.5; NCL 8.3; HAL 8.0

Alternative Restaurants-- Celebrity 10.0; HAL 9.5; Princess 8.8; NCL 8.6; RCL 7.0

Ship beauty and "feel" Celebrity 9.6; RCL 9.5; Princess 9.3; HAL 9.1; NCL 8.8

Because food and service is our number one priority, we prefer Celebrity and HAL; having said that, we have two Princess cruises booked; one Celebrity cruise booked; and one HAL cruise booked. Itinerary and price are very important--so no such thing as a "bad cruise." Just different experiences, and all of them have been wonderful.

Enjoy!

Kel

Wow! I would have to say that Kelmac hit it right on the nose with his ratings - right on target for the most part.

After 19 cruises (7--Celebrity; 5 RCL; 2 Princess; 3 NCL; 2 HAL) this is my take on this:

(Rating)

Food--Celebrity 9.8; HAL 9.2; Princess 7.9; RCL 7.5; NCL 7.0

Service--Celebrity 9.6; HAL 9.0; RCL 8.2; Princess 7.3; NCL 7.0

Entertainment--RCL 9.0; Princess 8.8; Celebrity 8.4; NCL 8.4; HAL 7.2

Cruise Staff--Princess 9.2; RCL 9.0; Celebrity 8.5; NCL 8.3; HAL 8.0

Alternative Restaurants-- Celebrity 10.0; HAL 9.5; Princess 8.8; NCL 8.6; RCL 7.0

Ship beauty and "feel" Celebrity 9.6; RCL 9.5; Princess 9.3; HAL 9.1; NCL 8.8

Because food and service is our number one priority, we prefer Celebrity and HAL; having said that, we have two Princess cruises booked; one Celebrity cruise booked; and one HAL cruise booked. Itinerary and price are very important--so no such thing as a "bad cruise." Just different experiences, and all of them have been wonderful.

Enjoy!

Kel

No matter what anyone says, HAL does have more over "65ers" than most other lines. It doesn't mean that the line caters to them necessarily, but seniors seem to prefer HAL. I enjoyed my 3 cruises on HAL, and the Volendam is my favorite ship - will be sailing on her again in Oct. In my opinion, Princess is "perkier" than HAL...more activities. I like both of the cruise lines a lot. I think the food is better on HAL, and their service is a bit above Princess. My daughter and SIL sailed on the Zuiderdam and they liked it. It's a more activity oriented ship with younger passengers overall and it's a larger HAL ship. If you like smaller ships, that's HAL. Most of the newer ships on Princess are large. If you have never sailed HAL, you ought to try it once. You won't be disappointed, but do expect a more laid back atmosphere - with one exception -- the Sea Quest "happening" with the crew during a sea day afternoon....it's wild and crazy and much fun.

If you have never sailed HAL, you ought to try it once. You won't be disappointed, but do expect a more laid back atmosphere

That's exactly what we are doing. Late 40's/early 50's here. ;) We have always wanted to try HAL as it is my parents favorite cruise line. As long as we have good food, service and a pool/sun, we are happy. We don't care how many of the "geriatric" generation is on the ship, as long as we can relax.:)

We sailed on the Zuiderdam last month and were very unhappy with our choice.:( We have been on HAL several times before and were hoping that the cruise would be as good as the earlier ones. Unfortunately, the food was not as good this time. The service, entertainment and maintenance of the cabin fell far short of our expectations, based on previous experiences with HAL. We have also taken numerous cruises on other lines and have decided to no longer give our business to HAL. We have found Celebrity and Princess to be far better and will book their ships in the future.

:( Sorry but I can't recommend HAL. Just did my second HAL and was unhappy with both. (did a 2nd with the voucher they sent from our 11 page complaint letter on the first cruise!) If you are from Bklyn ... I'm from nearby NJ and I don;t think you'll be happy with the HAL experience. I did winter longer cruises, but the average age was 70+!!! The seniors love it because it is laid back, but there is no service for beverages other than at the pool itself, i.e. no drinks on other decks. The "no smoking" policy is for inside only so if you don't want that new baby breathing smoke you'll have to keep him/her inside . The food doesn't come near the quality of a moderate NYC restaurant. Service was meniocre at best. I'd NEVER go on another HAL cruise. My Celebrity; Princess and Royal Caribbean FAR exceeded HAL and I vote for Celebrity as the best.

• Does HAL cater to the over 60 crowd even during summers & holidays?
  • How does HAL compare to Celebrity?
  • Will HAL accept an infant of 3 months old at the time of sailing?
  • How is the food? Please be candid as it is one of our biggest concerns. We like the food on Princess, Celebrity and even Carnival but hated RCCL. Please compare.

We had cruised with Princess on their 'Grand' class ships for three years in a row and we were very happy with Princess until we tried HAL. We enjoyed our experience during our recent cruise on the Volendam to such a degree that HAL has displaced Princess as our first choice in cruising.

If you would like a more detailed look at the HAL experience let me invite you to read a thread I started titled "Live From The Volendam Dialy Report" (yes, I do know how to spell daily but not at the moment that I started the thread). In this thread I do make several comparisons between HAL and Princess.

Now let me address your questions.

Does HAL cater to the over 60 crowd... No, HAL had a broad spectrum of activities which spanned all age groups. We had heard that the average age aboard HAL ships was 238. Not so - we had a good mix of all age groups. See the entry in my thread 'Dancing The Night Away'.

How does HAL compare to...... Can't help with Celebrity because we haven't cruised with them yet. We, the War Department and I, both think that HAL is just a little bit better all around than Princess. We aren't unhappy with Princess - we're just happier with HAL

Will HAL allow a 3 month old infant..... Don't know because we don't have any that age.

How is the food....... We found the food on both lines to be very good. Overall we think the nod goes to HAL in almost every way we compare food - quality, variety, taste. Again I did a lot of comparisons of the food in the thread. I will warn you that salt air does shrink all fabric.

The bottom line - if you decide to cruise with HAL welcome aboard and we hope you enjoy your cruise experience as much as we enjoyed ours. We liked it enough that we are booked on the Veendam for her two week cruise in November.

Y'all have a great day out there.

Hi: We have been on many Holland America ships and for the most part have enjoyed most of them. The newer ships are not nearly as nice or attractive as the others. You will be sailing on one of the "pretty" ones. The crew is generally very good and accommodating. You should not have any trouble with younger ones. We are booked on our probably last HAL cruise. Why - because they require everyone - honest or not - to put up at least $60.00 per person per day while on board. I guess some passengers skipped out on them but I resent their insinuation that I am one of them. No where in their brouchure do they state that you will have to put this extra money up. If you are traveling on the same day that your credit card closes you will be charged for the interest and that is not fair. We did not know if this policy before we booked so we will go back to Royal Caribbean who trusts everyone.

Some people are saying that the service isn't as good as when the passengers tipped individually instead of having it charged to their credit card. We tip both on and off the credit card when the service is good.

You will enjoy the food, I imagine, as it has been good in the past.

Good luck - and yes, they do cater to the Senior deliquents of which we are two. It is because they keep getting a new pin for all the miles they cruise with HAL. They have the most wheelchairs and walkers that I have encountered on any ship and there is no fun times during dinner as there is on other ships. We favor Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and put them much above HAL. Good luck and enjoy cruising as much as we have.

Archived