Freedom and 2 year old

Jennifer7848

We are cruising next month on FOS and have a 2 and 4 year old. We have heard nothing but good things about the Adventure Ocean program for our 4 year old, but not much about our 2 year old.

What are some things that are offered for a 2 year old?

How does babysitting work?

Is the babyzone enough to keep him busy?

Thanks

"babyzone"?:confused: Do you mean the Baby Splash Zone? This is a wading pool for non-potty trained children and is the only place that non-potty trained children can enjoy the pools.

To request babysitting, go to the Guest Services desk and request it when you board. It is first come first served and there is no guarantee that someone will be available. Hours of babysitting can be between 8 a.m. and 2 a.m. There is a charge (which seems to vary) of around $12/hour, payable in cash to the babysitter at the time of service.

There are also scheduled playgroups once or twice a day for 45 minutes. A parent must attend and remain with the child.

There is nothing on RCI (except on Oasis/Allure) for the "under 3" set, except for in-room babysitting.

No AO, no pools (on most ships) for anyone in diapers....

Basically, you have to keep the little one entertained just like you would at home!

There is nothing on RCI (except on Oasis/Allure) for the "under 3" set, except for in-room babysitting.

Not true.

I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't take a child under 3 on a RCCL ship again, but....gee whiz, your information is misleading.

For under 3 year olds, i took my kids when each was 12 months, there are "playgroups" that the parent must attend. An adventure Ocean staff member orchestrates teh playdate and usees fisher-price toys (fisher-price sponsers it). times vary cruise to cruise, ship to ship. But there are 2 or 3 differesnt gruops for the under 3 crowd and times are in the compass :)

Basically, you have to keep the little one entertained just like you would at home!

NOT TRUE, PLEASE stop posting misleading info! Freedom, Liberty and Independence all have the Baby Splash Zone AND all Royal Caribbean ships have the Royal Tots and Infants groups for parents and the kids. Stop trying to increase your post count and take the time to read the threads. The title of the thread is 2 on FREEDOM.

Jennifer - the in cabin babysitting is offered by reserving at the customer service desk. Get there and reserve as soon as you board, times fill up fast. You pay in cash directly to the sitter (I think the price is up to $16/hour)

Here is a sample of the activities of the Royal Tots program - for parents and kids together....

IndyRoyalTotsBabies.jpg

If your son isn't potty trained yet (you didn't say) - then he can use the Baby Splash Zone, which is one small section of the H20 zone. You may have a little problem because big sis will be allowed to play in the rest of the H20 zone. :eek: (that will be tough)

042.jpg

125.jpg

Menu09.jpg

My son was 12 months, 2 years ago and the playgroup I mentioned, aka "royal tots was available on Granduer. I think that it is fleetwide, but the non-potty "baby pool" is just on the much larger ships

My son was 12 months, 2 years ago and the playgroup I mentioned, aka "royal tots was available on Granduer. I think that it is fleetwide, but the non-potty "baby pool" is just on the much larger ships

Yes, you are exactly right. :D Royal Tots is available fleetwide. And the Baby Zone is available only on the Freedom and Oasis class. And I have to add, your picture above is ADORABLE!!!!! :D:D:D

Not trying to hijack the thread but is Royal Tots the same fleet wide? We're considering Explorer and are concerned about our daughter having enough to do while at sea for 5 days (3 out, 2 back in). Especially with no access to a splash zone. Missa said that her daughter enjoyed the ship which is great and if the Independence schedule is similar to Explorer then all the better.

Not trying to hijack the thread but is Royal Tots the same fleet wide? We're considering Explorer and are concerned about our daughter having enough to do while at sea for 5 days (3 out, 2 back in). Especially with no access to a splash zone. Missa said that her daughter enjoyed the ship which is great and if the Independence schedule is similar to Explorer then all the better.

Sylviesmom: My daughter (as in my picture) was on Voyager, sister of explorer, in 2005, no royal tot back then or a splash zone, and she could care less, she had fun with our long, long stroller rides at nap time and dusk (hehe), and we spent lots of time exploring the promenade and other public rooms that were empty (nightclub during the day) :)

My son in 2008 on Granduer (smaller boat then explorer), they had the royal tots then and it is now fleetwide :)

This fall we will be on Radiance, have not done the mega ship of the independence/liberty/oasis/allure yet, and prolly not for awhile, just can't find for the price i want just yet.

Explorer is a wonderful ship!

I just found this website and had no idea it was so active and helpful! The pictures of the pool and pool rules were perfect. Also that is an adorable picture of your daughter.

How important is it to bring a stroller? We are not planning on going on many excursions, and to be honest my two year old will hardly sit still. Not to mention storage space in the room. Just wanted to see what you guys thought both negative and positive.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

I just found this website and had no idea it was so active and helpful! The pictures of the pool and pool rules were perfect. Also that is an adorable picture of your daughter.

How important is it to bring a stroller? We are not planning on going on many excursions, and to be honest my two year old will hardly sit still. Not to mention storage space in the room. Just wanted to see what you guys thought both negative and positive.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Freedom is a BIG ship -- lots of walking for little legs. You might not want to bring your regular stroller if it's a big one, but an umbrella stroller will come in handy without taking up a lot of cabin space.

Highjack away. :D

From what I have seen on other schedules, are all very similiar. The only comments/complaints I have seen about it being on the different ships -- some groups are more organized than others.

Oh and I forgot to add, you can rent a bag of toys. You can go to Adventure Ocean and ask for a bag of toys. I don't think there is any charge for that.

Bring an inflatable pool and set it up at Adventure Beach - its a kids pool area (potty trained kids) on Explorer of the Seas - MORE THAN ENOUGH space for an inflatable pool.

How important is it to bring a stroller? We are not planning on going on many excursions, and to be honest my two year old will hardly sit still.

I would lock my 10 year old in one if I could. :p But seriously, when my kids were 2 - yes, I brought a stroller. However, my kids happily sat in them (after some coaxing for my youngest). And I used them because when we were in port, I prefered to keep them locked in and safely within reach - away from the hair braiders. ;)

We always brought a lightweight umbrella stroller, mainly so my kids (when they were still napping) could nap at the pool without taking up a poolchair and allowed us not to all be "trapped" in the room for naps, and you can roll the stroller out of sun rays. My kids only napped on the go so it worked fir us. Then it was great fir long strolls on the outside decks at dusk, the sea air aided in putting them to sleep. My kids also did not do well going to sleep in a place other then their iwn bed, so tiring them out was our game :) that way, once they were asleep, we'd stroll into the back of the tester and catch a bit of the shows, (yeah, they were sound sleeper, lol)

we tottally still plan on bringin a stroller for our 3 year-old in our fall cruise. We don't think he can keep up with us even on the radiance class, we love walking the lengths of the ships :)

we tottally still plan on bringin a stroller for our 3 year-old in our fall cruise. We don't think he can keep up with us even on the radiance class, we love walking the lengths of the ships :)

Lucky! I wish our (almost) 3 year old would ride in a stroller...but he hasnt for over a year and 1/2...so I know he won't for this trip.

This thread has been great for me trying to plan for my almost 3 year old who is not yet potty trained. (Still have 4 months to try!) Even though she might feel like a baby (she'll be 3 years and 2 months at time of cruise) being with 18-36 month kids, it will be something for us to get out. Thanks for posting not only the Royal Tots schedule, but the food menus too!

The hardest for me will be the Splash Zone especially if her older sister is around. I have tried stickers/M&Ms, showing her pictures of the splash zone, having her wear underwear, having her sister show her how to use potty. The last thing I can try is as it gets warmer here (PA) is let her run around in no diaper and wear a dress. Has that worked for anyone? And how do you do that in house if you have carpet??? (talk about mess....)

Txs!

My son was potty trained before he turned 3 least week, during our snowstorms (I'm in NJ, outside of philly). Since we we're snowed in with nowhere to go, we did the naked bit. Nekked from the waist down for 3 or 4 days (I forget now, kinda a blur now). he only wore a pull up to, and first thing in the morning, it was pulled off for the remainder of the day. On Day 5, we left the house with a pull-up over our underwear (just in case), for a short shoppign trip and he's been pull-up less ever since.

He too didn't seem to get teh message with regular pull-ups, cotten training pants, rubber covers and plain underwear. He'd wet them all. Once he was naked, he was much more aware of his body and not once did anything on my furniture or floors, but i did limit him to sitting on his bean bag chair or floor only. Either I was extremely lucky, or it was just the best way for him to understand and be used to it :)

Much luck to you with your little one!

I'm so excited having read the Royal Babies program, I think we are going to be busy !

I am slightly worried as Zoe just will not nap in her stroller, she's way too nosey if there is anyone around, and I only manage to get her to nap in her cot. We are bringing a sling (baby carrier) too which should be easier on beach days than fighting through the sand with a stroller.

Does anyone know if you can buy diapers onboard and if so what brands are available ?

Max & Ruby - I did the naked baby with my oldest - she still potty trained on her own time table (after 3). With my youngest I was determined not to do anything -- not to worry about it at all. One morning I went to get her up from her nap and there she was sleeping naked. She took off her diaper and she refused to put another back on. She was 2. :eek: Kids have their own schedules. You can can try the naked butt - try not to stress though.

shortm - Royal Caribbean has a diaper delivery service. From one of their press releases "Parents traveling with infants and toddlers can now pack lighter for their cruise with Royal Caribbean's Babies 2 Go program, where parents can order organic baby food and diapers, wipes and creams by Huggies - the world's leading diaper brand - for delivery to their staterooms upon their arrival. These baby essentials can be ordered online through Royal Caribbean's Gifts & Gear section at RoyalCaribbean.com"

From my experience, no, no diapers for purchase on board :(

When My son was 12 months, I used the sling in port, like cozumel. Dh & I love to shop and we were planning on hitting a beach as well, which ment taxi rides. so the sling was nice, he napped while we shopped and it was really east to get in and out of taxis and on /off beaches :)

Royal Caribbean has a diaper delivery service. From one of their press releases "Parents traveling with infants and toddlers can now pack lighter for their cruise with Royal Caribbean's Babies 2 Go program, where parents can order organic baby food and diapers, wipes and creams by Huggies - the world's leading diaper brand - for delivery to their staterooms upon their arrival. These baby essentials can be ordered online through Royal Caribbean's Gifts & Gear section at RoyalCaribbean.com"

So cool, that is a nice new feature :)

Archived