Shipping things from Athens to US

wingit

Does anyone have any info on shipping a box back to the US from Athens Greece? Are there "pack and ship" stores in Athens?

We will be on a cruise that ends in Athens and might want to ship a box home.

Thank you for any help.

I haven't any idea if they have "pack and ship" stores or not, but I do know you will pay an "arm and a leg" to do it.

I sent a box from US to Athens, to go UPS or Fed EX they wanted almost $300 for a 20 lb box. I ended up mailing it US Post Office LAND for $40,

and it took 3 months to get there.

We also ran into this in Italy. We stopped at a winery and was going to purchase 3 bottles of wine (special that they had for $99) but shipping was $295, so we didn't make the purchase at all.

I wouldn't trust anything of value to the mail system of either Greece or the US. I would take an extra bag in your suitcase. I took a larger duffel type bag in my suitcase, then took it out for the flight home. Had two checked bags (International flights usually allow 2 checked bags) coming home.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I have never had a good experience shipping ANYTHING from ANYWHERE in Europe,,,,either paid too much, arrived broken,or never arrived...if you cant take it with you, dont buy it...have learned the HARD way...take an extra suitcase, cheaper to pay for that than shipping and you know it ll arrive....;)

As others have said, it is very expensive to ship stuff back to the USA and everything would be subject to delays since your package would most likely be opened (and inspected) by ICE (customs.

Hank

There are many shops which will ship items home for you. Its been quite a few years, but at the time it was reasonable.

I know that my mother bought some Murano glass and had it shipped home from Venice. It was a nightmare. It took her over 2 years to actually get a similar item, but not the one that was purchased. (a very pricey piece) She was told that customs sent it back, because it was broken.....do we believe that??? Then after contacting the cruise line (recommended store), italian consulate and finally threatening to blackball italian surgical steel (she was a purchaser for a major hospital) did the factory send another.

Does anyone have any info on shipping a box back to the US from Athens Greece? Are there "pack and ship" stores in Athens?

We will be on a cruise that ends in Athens and might want to ship a box home.

Thank you for any help.

That is exactly what we did, an extra suitcase is the cheapest and the only way to secure that you will get your shopping back home with you.

Archived