QE2 Caribbean Xmas 2004

YoungQE2Cruiser

Hiya.

I have just registered on these boards, although I have been visiting them for many months. I have just returned from the Caribbean Xmas Cruise, (well 'just' being about 2-3weeks ago) and was wondering if anyone can confirm if we actually did lose power in the 'Bermuda traingle' on New Years Eve.

Also if anybody on board had any fun stories to share with me from our cruise.

I'm only 17 and have been on the QE2 a couple of times but am absolutely in love with it. I can't really give an actual reason why but me and my sister have just had the best times when we've been on it and got on so well with the crew and the other young people that we want to just keep going back. I am actually applying to join the ship with the 'White Star Academy' and am waiting for the prospectuses to arrive from the college at any moment.

Young Cruiser, Luckily I was on the transat that preceeded your cruise and we had no problems, but there is no question that QE2 was dead in the water for a few hours in the early am of New Years Day, apparently an overheated transformer. I think there have been some firsthand posts on this board. Go back just a little and you should find them. Stowaway2K and Vic the Parrot were up during the outage and can confirm.

Hi

Yes, I think we really were within the "Bermuda Triangle" when QE2 broke down early New Years morning. As the Bermuda Triangle is defined by the area within lines drawn between Miami, Puerto Rico, and Bermuda, and we broke down about eight hours after leaving San Juan heading north for New York, we must have still been within the southern-most part of the triangle.

Good for you, that you are applying for placement in Cunard's White Star Academy. If I had it all to do over again I definately would strive for a career at sea. Please keep us all posted on your progress! Now, I sure I don't need to remind you of this, but working on a liner such as QE2 or QM2, or the still to come Queen Victoria, is not the same as being a passenger icon12.gif I have been to some crew areas on QE2, and I'm sure you'll be happy with what you find.

Since you asked, I'll share some of my favorite memories of the cruise.

First, our beautiful nighttime departure from New York. Sailing down the Hudson River and out through the bay on that gorgeous winter night was a stunning sight. But it was bone-chilling cold, and I was one of the few on deck after we sailed past the Battery.

In enjoyed all of the ports, and I did a shore excursion at each one. Maybe we did some of the same ones? This is what I did:

ST. THOMAS I went catamaran sailing and snorkeling

GRENADA I did an eco-kayak tour through mangroves and out to a small island in a small bay where I drank too much rum punch. After that I took a water taxi (that was a wild ride!)to a beach where I had lunch at a nice beach-front restaurant and ate flying fish, it was delicious.

BARBADOS I did another catamaran sailing and snorkeling, and swam with large sea turtles. That evening, as we were in Barbados late, I went to a really cool place called The Boatyard, it's a beachfront bar, club, with a lot of water sports available. A lot of QE2's crew was there, and it was cool to party with them on shoreleave.

MARTINIQUE another catamaran and more snorkeling, including a swim into a cave which was home to thousands and thousands of bats!

ST. KITTS I did an ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) tour. This was a lot of fun! We went on dirt trails through sugarcane fields, down to a black sand beach, and up to the rain forest. It was great. Then a taxi to the beach for swimming and napping.

SAN JUAN a tour of the Barcardi rum factory (boring) but old town was nice and the fort and the beautiful beaches.

Other great memories of the cruise...hmmm...well, there was the six-hour side-by-side sailing with QM2. I'll never forget that!

Christmas day at sea. What a beautiful day! Up on deck all day, swimming and sunning, taking it nice and easy. That evening, when we "paused" off the coast of St. Lucia for no reason other than to just enjoy the beauty of it, as the sun set and the moon rose...wow! Beautiful enough to bring a tear to my eye!

Every sea day on QE2 is a good day. Every evening, meeting friends for drinks, wandering the decks enjoying the warm breezes, the starry skies...

My cabin, I loved my cabin, 3006, all the way forward with the sheared deck and the porthole that looked down to the water...makes one not forget that one is on a real ocean liner!

The friendships made, with both passengers and crew, and other friendships enriched by this fantastic shared experience...

My explorations of areas off limits to passengers, up to the very top deck at the base of the funnel, and onto the 2 deck fantail, and crew's quarters...

And last, but not least, our breakdown at sea on New Years, a rare experience that not many people can claim to have experienced.

These are some of my best memories, YoungQE2Cruiser. What are some of yours?

I hope you have a very long and rich future at sea with Cunard, let us know how things go!

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the cruise, hope that 3006 lived upto your expectations?? did Maira look after you well? l had the same cabin on the October med 3 week cruise, You managed to get up to the Funnel,gues you had somebody there to show you the way??? l did!!! and your adventures in crew country.... l recall being terribly hungover (wasnt the drink cheap!!) and missing breakfast, just making lunch and all the gang had been on since breakfast none the worse for wear... interesting to hear some of their stories !!!

On a previous voyage years ago recall an invite to officer county, that was something else......

Cheers

Myles

cunardqueen@aol.com

I will make sure I keep you updated on the progress of the 'white star' application. I am about to send off the application to Blackpool College sometime this week and am hoping to start the course in September, once I've finished my A Levels.

Thanks for all your memories, Kyle. I really enjoyed reading them and reminded me of all mine too. Obviously I'm never going to forget the sailaway from New York. It was amazing, shame it was soo cold though. I'm sure I was wearing pretty much all my clothes I took to New York and was still freezing.

We didn't do an awful lot of the excursions organised by the ship, although we did the Kon Tiki Party Raft in St Kitt's which was really fun - Lots of caribbean music and free rum and a stop at a beautiful secluded beach. In Grenada, we hired a taxi for the morning around the island, which was quite nice. Went to the waterfall to watch the professional's who jump off the rocks and to a plantation. Then, off to the beach in the afternoon with some of the crew and new friends we'd made. Barbados was my favourite. We went on an organised trip in the morning, which was a little bit boring, but we were also at the 'Boatyard' all afternoon with the crew which was great. Because a few of us 'younger one's' knew the crew from last time we were on board, we were lucky to get on really well with them again this cruise and go offshore with them and stuff. I wasn't a massive fan of Martinique though, can't really say why. Again, after a morning tour, we went off down to the beach in the afternoon, but it wasn't as fun as the other islands. The St Kitt's Carnival was really enjoyable, I don't know if you got to see any of it at all? We've got so many photos of it..my mum went a bit mad with the camera that day. We've ended up with about 300 photos altogether for the whole 2 weeks. We also did a taxi tour in San Juan, which was really different, as the driver had us clapping and singing to her music while she took us on tour.

I have soo many memories when on board the ship. My favourite times of day were always dinners, as I loved dressing up every night and having so much gorgeous food. One of my favourite evenings was the first one, jus because I loved beign back again and saw my waitress, Andrea, from the last cruise who I had been writing to for the first time again, so that was really good. My favourite evening was Xmas Eve, because I managed to find myself 'lost' in crew quarters and down at the 'Pig and Whistle.' ;) I had such a good night that night and managed to last at least 2 1/2 hours before security caught up with me! :rolleyes: I did take a look at some of the other bits of the crew quarters, so I know what its like a little bit. Plenty of people have also warned me as well of the difference between being a passenger and one of the crew, but its something I really want to do, so I'm going to go for it. I've been warned as well by Andrea that its so much hard work being a waitress, so I know its not going to be all fun and games.

Another memory of mine is the day we sailed with the QM2. Not only was that a fantastic experience, but at the same time, my parents were renewing their wedding vows in the Yacht Club, so I could watch the ceremony whilst at the same time, watching the QM2 outside the window.

And of course, the legendary New Years Eve. Another one of my favourite nights! Was pretty 'tipsy' by about 11, and the rocking of the boat that night made the fun all the better. I remember midnight in the Grand Lounge and then circulating the various other parties going on around ship. I happened to by on deck when the power went out at 2am, but with all the other kids and the alcohol consumption, I found it funny and wasn't really panicked until I saw some woman bring her kids up in lifejackets and the 'London Bobby' started singing Titanic! :) But yeah, I also stayed up until the power came on and continued the celebrations in the Yacht Club, in fact I also made it to breakfast at 8am in my formal dress still awake from the night before. Got a few laughs from Andrea and the other waitresses serving me that morning!

I could keep on typing my memories all day and how much I love the ship, but I've got to go now. Hope to hear from you all soon. I will keep you updated on my White Star Progress.

Rachelle

Archived