missed connection/delayed flight ins.?

s0nya

I am trying to find an ins. that covers a missed connection or delayed flight. We plan on arriving in the port city at LEAST 24 hours in advance, but our flight will have 2 connections and if we miss one we could be in trouble. from the squaremouth site I found this ins. package:

TravelGuard

Pack 'n go

$1,000 per person

Covered after 6 hour delay

$200 max per day

$500 Missed Connection

does this seem reasonable? the 1000 per person would cover the cruise cost. the 500 missed connection is a little low (i don't know the details though). I guess it is possible we could catch another flight and get on the cruise at a different port? Does this sound reasonable if this is my only concern w/ travel insurance?

thanks!

I am trying to find an ins. that covers a missed connection or delayed flight. We plan on arriving in the port city at LEAST 24 hours in advance, but our flight will have 2 connections and if we miss one we could be in trouble. from the squaremouth site I found this ins. package:

TravelGuard

Pack 'n go

$1,000 per person

Covered after 6 hour delay

$200 max per day

$500 Missed Connection

does this seem reasonable? the 1000 per person would cover the cruise cost. the 500 missed connection is a little low (i don't know the details though). I guess it is possible we could catch another flight and get on the cruise at a different port? Does this sound reasonable if this is my only concern w/ travel insurance?

thanks!

I much prefer the Vacation Plan from travelSafe. It has a $2500 Missed Connection benefit that only requires a 3 hour delay for the benefit to kick in.

With the Pack 'N Go you have to meet the following for the missed connection benefit:

"Missed Connection

The Insurer will reimburse this benefit up to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule of Benefits if Inclement Weather causes cancellation or a delay of all regularly scheduled airline flights for three to less than twelve hours to your point of departure. "

What if the delay is caused by a mechanical problem rather than weather? Doesn't appear to be covered. And why should the benefit depend on ALL flights being cancelled? You should only have to worry about YOUR flight.

Compare that to the Missed Connection benefit from TravelSafe:

"Missed Connection: If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, for a) the Additional Transportation Cost to join the Trip and b) the unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements, due to: a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier); b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure; c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot."

#1 All sorts of reasons for the delay are covered including ANY delay of a common carrier.

#2 The delay doesn't have to encompass ALL airlines and flights -- it only has to affect YOUR flight.

#3 the maximum coverage amount is 5X greater than the Pack "N Go plan.

I'm sure that it will cost more than the Pack 'N Go plan but it sounds more like what you're looking for.

Archived