Carnival better be careful with their prices

Yeah, I'm sure the average person looking to book a cruise is at home comparing 10K forms to help them decide which ship to book. :rolleyes:

You obviously have never had a cruise booked on a cruise line that folded and took your money with it. :rolleyes:

But the point is, Carnival pays cash for their ships; RCCL has no choice but to try to arrange financing. RCCL's cost per cabin is higher and maintenance per cabin is higher. Their costs overall higher.

It has nothing to do with quality, even though Carnival's quality is higher. Richard Fein is leading RCCL right into bankruptcy.

I do hope those sailing on Oasis enjoy their INSIDE balconies overlooking Central Park and hope they don't mind pigeons. :p

Don't be surprised when RCCL charges you for a steak in the MDR these days. :eek:

Just scouting around and was considering the Elation 15 day transcanal cruise but the prices were never reasonable IMO. RCCL and Celebrity have 15 -16 day transcanal cruises in april for $400 LESS PP than CCL. Also MANY RCCL and Celebrity Caribean cruises available for a boatload less cash. I am milestone on CCL do to the previous value they afforded us for the almighty dollar but from what I am seeing price wise that is going to change very quickly.

I agree. DH and I are Carnival Platinum, but we booked another cruise line for our last cruise because the price was considerably less than Carnival for a more "premium" cruise. And prices are still going up.

We just booked the Liberty tonight and we really wanted to book RCI or NCL. We like Carnival but wanted to go back to RCI or try NCL for the first time. Carnival was the cheapest by a significant amount. I don't think Carnival is in the same high priced league as the others.

Heard you now pay extra on RCI for Deli, hambergers, pizza spec, steak in the DR + all the Spec restrants. What does that add to the week :confused:

Not true. Sorrento's (24 hr pizzeria and deli) is free. Room service is free.

Windjammer, Jade, dinning room is free. 24 hr ice cream is free as well. DR is free, No need to pay for steak, it's free, just like Carnival's.

Heard you now pay extra on RCI for Deli, hambergers, pizza spec, steak in the DR + all the Spec restrants. What does that add to the week :confused:

When I was on RCCL a little while back...nope, didn't pay for steak, the regular dining room steak was great for me. I did go to Chops and it was fantastistic, I will definitely do it next time. Never had to pay for pizza at Sorrentos or the deli.

As far as specialty restaurants, that is a choice passengers have. You can choose to dine there and pay a surchage or dine somewhere else. Choices......they are wonderful things.

Doesn't Carnival now have specialty steakhouse on some of their ships. There is one on the Liberty that we are sailing on in October. Does that mean the food is sub par in the dining room??? i don't expect it to be. I might or might not eat at the steakhouse.

By some CCL fans, it is perfectly okay for Carnival passengers to pay to eat at their specialty restaurant but it is considered a "nickle and diming" thing when it occurs on other cruiselines??? What is the difference???

Even though there are a few pay venues on RCCL, it is ok by me. I can either eat at them or not...again....choices....I like having them!!!

Not true. Sorrento's (24 hr pizzeria and deli) is free. Room service is free.

Windjammer, Jade, dinning room is free. 24 hr ice cream is free as well. DR is free, No need to pay for steak, it's free, just like Carnival's.

Try calling room service after midnight. :rolleyes:

"(late night service charge applies)"

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=609

Have you ever sailed on RCCL?

Try calling room service after midnight. :rolleyes:

"(late night service charge applies)"

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=609

Nah... I don't eat after 9:00pm, I watch my figure. Also, just save it for the Island mid-night buffetts.

you really hate RCCL, don't u? do u work for Carnival coorporation?:rolleyes:

Have sailed RCCL twice, the Majesty and the Mariner of the seas, which has been my fav ship.

But still, I'm too young, and counting my way up. The Oasis, Liberty of the seas, freedom of the seas, Allure of the seas are all on my list.

Nah... I don't eat after 9:00pm, I watch my figure. Also, just save it for the Island mid-night buffetts.

you really hate RCCL, don't u? do u work for Carnival coorporation?:rolleyes:

You don't eat after 9pm but do splurge at Midnight buffets? Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

I don't hate RCCL. I feel sorry for such a mismanaged company.

I've tried other cruise lines, even when they weren't the lowest price. I keep coming back to the best. I think everyone should try other lines.

Carnival doesn't need to change anything, including their pricing. They have a winning formula, both with customers and stock holders. What they really better not do is imitate a loser business model such as the one RCCL has.

You don't eat after 9pm but do splurge at Midnight buffets? Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

I don't hate RCCL. I feel sorry for such a mismanaged company.

I've tried other cruise lines, even when they weren't the lowest price. I keep coming back to the best. I think everyone should try other lines.

Carnival doesn't need to change anything, including their pricing. They have a winning formula, both with customers and stock holders. What they really better not do is imitate a loser business model such as the one RCCL has.

Good for you... you have your favorite, I have mine. Yours is CCL, mine is RCCL.

hAVE A GOOD SUNDAY

Just scouting around and was considering the Elation 15 day transcanal cruise but the prices were never reasonable IMO. RCCL and Celebrity have 15 -16 day transcanal cruises in april for $400 LESS PP than CCL. Also MANY RCCL and Celebrity Caribean cruises available for a boatload less cash. I am milestone on CCL do to the previous value they afforded us for the almighty dollar but from what I am seeing price wise that is going to change very quickly.

Just out of curiosity, because we are booked on this cruise and I didn't think the prices were that bad, I went to the RCCL site to check prices. The only Panama Canal cruise I found was in the fall, not April. Am I looking in the wrong place? That cruise was nearly $800.00 more pp for an O/V than what we paid. If there is another place to find the April cruise on RCCL and I just missed it, please set me straight.

RCCL sure is taking on lots of debt with the supersized Mall of the Seas class. Their financial future is in deep doo doo. Have you purchased your Bankruptcy of the Seas insurance, yet?

I don't care who you are, this is just funny!!

To the OP, I too follow the bottom line. I have not sailed RCI or NCL in over 10 years because Carnival has always been lower in price. I also do not cruise for the ship, I could care less about surfing, wall climbing or anything that involves getting out of my chaise lounger in the Serenity Area. However, if any line begins beating Carnival's prices I'll find a chaise on one of those lines and plant myself there. :D

Just out of curiosity, because we are booked on this cruise and I didn't think the prices were that bad, I went to the RCCL site to check prices. The only Panama Canal cruise I found was in the fall, not April. Am I looking in the wrong place? That cruise was nearly $800.00 more pp for an O/V than what we paid. If there is another place to find the April cruise on RCCL and I just missed it, please set me straight.

Celebrity

Janetz, please take me on the Oasis with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm dying to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be my 2011 cruise. Enjoy

:D We booked over a year out. Got a great rate and with the way the sailings are selling out, our cabin cat now has doubled. Once the Allure comes out the prices will drop again. Those who doubt the wow factor should check out some of the reviews on the RC boards. As far as paying extra for anything , that is up to you. There are so many free dining options, we wont be looking to pay extra for food. The shows are supposed to be fabulous and all the activities, flow rider, etc are free. Almost all the reviews are positive so we are really excited. :D

Celebrity

Okay CPC...found it. Actually I like the 15 day one as it ends up in San Francisco which is a better end port for us. However the price was not as good as we got. Now part of that is we booked very early and there were 2 price drops which we were able to take advantage of. Our 6C ended up being a total of $1405.00 pp including everything except gratuities and insurance. The Celebrity 15 day cruise was $1399.00 to start for an O/V.

I have to agree with you though that Carnival does need to be careful when there is not that big of a price difference between Carnival and Celebrity.

Janetz, have you checked Radio's live thread over the RCCL board? those Oasis of the seas pics look irresistible. I am booking the Allure and watching those prices every day.

I do cruise because of the ship and the more it offers, the better.

Janetz, have you checked Radio's live thread over the RCCL board? those Oasis of the seas pics look irresistible. I am booking the Allure and watching those prices every day.

I do cruise because of the ship and the more it offers, the better.

Yes, I have. Aren't his pics great! We haven't even looked at the offerings on ports of call. We are more interested in the ship. ;)

Okay CPC...found it. Actually I like the 15 day one as it ends up in San Francisco which is a better end port for us. However the price was not as good as we got. Now part of that is we booked very early and there were 2 price drops which we were able to take advantage of. Our 6C ended up being a total of $1405.00 pp including everything except gratuities and insurance. The Celebrity 15 day cruise was $1399.00 to start for an O/V.

I have to agree with you though that Carnival does need to be careful when there is not that big of a price difference between Carnival and Celebrity.

That one is more expensive. 2 others on the Millenium (ends in LA) and the Mercury (ends in San diego) (14 and 16 nights) the OV are $999 which comes to $1260 pp, Plus $150 OBC on both sailings. The Millenium ship is many steps above the Elation as well IMO.

Have a nice cruise

As far as the prices go, I will continue to patronize CCL so long as they remain an excellent value. If they continue to increase their rates, leaving comparable lines with cheaper fares, I will go elsewhere. The Platinum benefits are great, but not a trump card.

As was the case with my upcoming cruise in September. We were able to go from an interior room on Carnival Dream to a promenade view on Freedom OTS for less than a hundred bucks more. To me, thats a no-brainer. Especially since she goes to Labadee; I'll take a private island over a regular port any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Cleaner, safer, and no pushy natives hawking the same old junk that I still don't want.:eek::D

I knew about Mercury, looks like Millenium also had a bout with Noro.

"So far this year, there have been a total of eight outbreaks of intestinal illnesses on cruise ships, compared with 15 for all of 2009, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The same week the Mercury was fighting its onboard illness, the CDC reported that Holland America’s Maasdam, Celebrity’s Millennium and Royal Caribbean’s Jewel of the Seas also were battling gastrointestinal bugs among passengers.

I believe Mercury accounts for at least 3 or the outbreaks and if Millennium only had 1 that means Celebrity has 50% of the outbreaks. Toss in Jewel and RCL ships have over 50% of the outbreaks.

No wonder they are discounting prices. ;)

As far as the prices go, I will continue to patronize CCL so long as they remain an excellent value. If they continue to increase their rates, leaving comparable lines with cheaper fares, I will go elsewhere. The Platinum benefits are great, but not a trump card.

As was the case with my upcoming cruise in September. We were able to go from an interior room on Carnival Dream to a promenade view on Freedom OTS for less than a hundred bucks more. To me, thats a no-brainer. Especially since she goes to Labadee; I'll take a private island over a regular port any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Cleaner, safer, and no pushy natives hawking the same old junk that I still don't want.:eek::D

I have been on Celebrity, Carnival and RCCL. They all have their good and bad points so price is the #1 factor. I have to say I was not impressed by the comminication on RCCL. Our Cruise last year had a weather delay which is understandable but there were so many different stories on the cruise and promises made that never materialized! Still waiting for it to happen!

Archived