Stroller or No Stroller

BalconyBreeze

Just wondering from anyone's past experience if bringing a stroller was a good or bad idea. Our youngest is 2 and a half and we will be stopping in Nassau and Freeport. Both days, I plan on taking bus/taxi to a resort and purchase a day pass. From what I've read....sometimes you have to a walk a bit to get to the Jitney or Taxi.

From friends and what I have read its good to have.... even under the best conditions there is quite a bit of walking. We have a large land cruiser that we use at home for a 16 month old. We will bring a small one for the trip. I have trouble carrying our bundle of joy to the car; I can not imagine how much they weigh at 2&1/2 (i will find out) but i would not want to carry him all that around a port......

I'd bring at least a cheap umbrella stroller. There ends up being a LOT of walking for a little one. Even if they're not going to use it ALL the time (my girls would ride, then walk, then ride, etc.), it helps for them to have that option available. My youngest was almost 5 on our last vacation (land-based, since my niece was too young to cruise), and she could have used a stroller -- my brother and his wife were brand new parents who didn't realize they'd need one, so my niece slept in the stroller most of the time and my daughter walked/rode on shoulders. Even with 6-7 adults to carry either her or the baby, they got heavy.

Depends on if your little one would use a stroller....the last time we actually used a stroller at all, was our Disney trip when our son was 1 1/2...we haven't used one since. So we are not going to bring one this time (he is almost 3) He has been walking since 9 months old.....so he got tired of his stroller quickly.

We plan on doing excursion that won't rely on much walking, bascially just beach excursions.

Hmmm......Still a bit torn on the matter. It's one of those things that if we bring it....I am thinking it will be a burden and if we don't....my wife will be reminding me that we should have brought it. :)

We do have an umbrella like stroller...so I guess I will have to weigh out the pros and cons.

It all depends on your child.

Our DS was out of his stroller at 18months. He was on his first cruise at 15months and we brought the stroller. His next cruise was at 22 months and he walked. We took it easy.

Our DD is a little different. She's been on three cruises. The last one, she was 25 months and the stroller came in handy.

I suggest a lightweight, quality stroller for that just in case. The stroller comes in handy at an airport. You can control them while strapped in. We use a Combi Soho stroller. It weighs about 10 lbs and folds up tight like an umbrella stroller. There are some other good ones.

Hmmm......Still a bit torn on the matter. It's one of those things that if we bring it....I am thinking it will be a burden and if we don't....my wife will be reminding me that we should have brought it. :)

We do have an umbrella like stroller...so I guess I will have to weigh out the pros and cons.

When you dock in Nassau, it's a bit of a hike along the pier into Nassau proper to catch your excursion -or to do anything else. Just a few hours of hot & humid sun and surf will make anyone sleepy! A lightweight umbrella stroller is a great idea, and can also be used just for soothing deck walking. At the end of the day, I'm ready to plop my beach bag into a stroller! And rent a Scooter just to get me back to the ship. Bring the stroller! Or bring cortisone injections for your achy shoulders. Enjoy your cruise!

For our cruise 2 weeks ago we brought 2 strollers, one for our 1 1/2 year old and an umbrella one for our 4 year old in case she got tired from walking. It was a lifesaver, especially in Disney and Nassau. To us it was worth the extra pain of lugging it on to and off the ship.

Bring the stroller. My DD wouldn't ride in the stroller so my wife carried her in a baby sling. I put our beach bags, shopping bags, etc and pushed them around instead of carrying the bags. Sometimes it seems the beach bags with towels, toys, diapers, and everything else you need for the baby weighs more than the baby!

Havent read all of the replies ... we just cruised with our son at 2 1/2 and our daughter at 4. We brought both strollers. They came in handy at the airport, when they were able to walk, we just piled all of the carryons into the stroller.

The strollers help you by-pass with the family linesn through airport security and port security (that was an added bonus!!!!).

We used the strollers at every port of call. They came in handy too for naps, we shopped in port while the kids napped. We NEVER used them on the ship, though I did see many who did.

You know your kids best. I think on our next trip which may be later this summer, we will bring at least one stroller that they can share.

Alright........I'm no longer on the fence......

The stroller is coming! :) Thanks for all of the feedback!

GOOD! I was going to say take the stroller. I would take the umbrella stroller. One dragging a large stroller on and off the ship is a pain. Especially if you have to tender into a port! Plus the umbrella stroller should fold up nice and small and fit under your bed at night! No need to worry about someone walking off with your good stroller or spilling food on it if it is left in the hallways. :eek: We took DD on her first cruise at 2 1/2 and the stroller is a life saver!

Definitely bring a stroller, you will need it not only for walks, but also if you are just hanging around town and your little one gets tired, he/she can sit/sleep there. I always take a good stroller when we go on trips, it’s bulky and heavy, but it’s my son’s comfy sofa/bed for when we are out and about!

Personally, I tend to pack very light. This is an item that I would take. I'm able to do things while DS is sacked out in the stroller. I have a place to hang the backpack of diapers and essentials. It beats carrying son and items around all day. Heck, Sometimes I wish I had a stroller for me!

I

• 3 weeks later...

Just had to provide my post cruise update -

We brought the stroller - had it checked in with the porter. Turns out we never used it. In Freeport the taxi was right there, so that day it was a good choice. Also, using it on the ship appeared to be a struggle for most. In Nassau, we walked quite a while to get to the Jitneys - It would have come in handy there.

Now to the best part - Disembarkation. I put a luggage tag on it and when it was time to leave, in all of the craziness, I forgot to grab it. As you know, the items are not in a particular order, other then the color of your tags. All of our bags were rather close to each other, but I guess I didn't even see the stroller or remember it.

Guess what? Once you exit customs - you may not go back in until everyone is off the ship!!!! It's policy!!! WOW!!! Had I brought an umbrella one, I would have donated it to NCL, but this one was rather nice. So, an hour later - we got the stroller that we never used!!!! :)

Ahhh.......It did make me laugh! :)

Just had to provide my post cruise update -

We brought the stroller - had it checked in with the porter. Turns out we never used it. In Freeport the taxi was right there, so that day it was a good choice. Also, using it on the ship appeared to be a struggle for most. In Nassau, we walked quite a while to get to the Jitneys - It would have come in handy there.

Now to the best part - Disembarkation. I put a luggage tag on it and when it was time to leave, in all of the craziness, I forgot to grab it. As you know, the items are not in a particular order, other then the color of your tags. All of our bags were rather close to each other, but I guess I didn't even see the stroller or remember it.

Guess what? Once you exit customs - you may not go back in until everyone is off the ship!!!! It's policy!!! WOW!!! Had I brought an umbrella one, I would have donated it to NCL, but this one was rather nice. So, an hour later - we got the stroller that we never used!!!! :)

Ahhh.......It did make me laugh! :)

LOL, your post made me laugh just because you never used the stroller AND had to wait for it on top..

We are still taking ours on our cruise, we have 5 port days, so that may make a difference.

Glad you didn't need it though!

It will be a story that I will never forget! :)

I liked the idea of having the porters bring it to the room - one less stressful moment during embarkation. And if had to do it over again, it would have come in handy in Nassau.

We totally over-packed, but it's better to have everything you "might" need versus being stuck without them

Enjoy your cruise and just be sure to remember to take the stroller with you when you leave!!!!

Archived