glare shield for viewfinder

Radelle

I've been photographing a lot lately with my D80 to prepare for my Alaska cruise. Today I ran into a problem, I hadn't noticed before. In the bright sunshine, I was looking for the settings found inside the camera to compare photos at different settings.

I could not find them at all, until I walked into the shade and the information appeared again. Does anybody know of some sort of glare shield I can place over the viewfinder so I can read the settings inside the camera?

Thanks,

Freda

Delkin:

http://www.adorama.com/ICDDPISTDLS.html

I've been photographing a lot lately with my D80 to prepare for my Alaska cruise. Today I ran into a problem, I hadn't noticed before. In the bright sunshine, I was looking for the settings found inside the camera to compare photos at different settings.

I could not find them at all, until I walked into the shade and the information appeared again. Does anybody know of some sort of glare shield I can place over the viewfinder so I can read the settings inside the camera?

Thanks,

Freda

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure this is what I need. I know I didn't explain it properly cause I didn't know what to ask for.

I kept looking on line and learned that what I was looking for was something that would help with "ambient light." What B&H and Adorama offered seemed to get lots of review complaints. Is there anything out there that covers the viewfinder area of my D80 so it takes care of ambient light?

Thanks

I have a Nikon D300 and prior had the Nikon D100. I once purchased a little rubber cap that snapped onto the view finder and blocked light from shining in when my eye was pressed up against it. It fit the camera well.

I would suggest calling B&H Photo on NYC. Their people, in the cmera dept. can talk to you and tell you if they have it. Thier website is www.bhphoto.com I think - or google it. They are a huge store and I have never not been able to find what I want there - new or used!

Hope that helps. If you can't find it, use your hand to shade the light shining in.

Linda

I have a Nikon D300 and prior had the Nikon D100. I once purchased a little rubber cap that snapped onto the view finder and blocked light from shining in when my eye was pressed up against it. It fit the camera well.

I would suggest calling B&H Photo on NYC. Their people, in the cmera dept. can talk to you and tell you if they have it. Thier website is www.bhphoto.com I think - or google it. They are a huge store and I have never not been able to find what I want there - new or used!

Hope that helps. If you can't find it, use your hand to shade the light shining in.

Linda

Thanks Linda. I live in Brooklyn, NY so I know B&H very well. You are right. They know their business and they will probably be able to direct me to what I need. Using my hand to shield the light did not seem to help. I thought something had happened to the camera until I went into the shade and was able to see the information again.

So I will get an attachment then see what happened.

Thanks. This is very gratifying.

To Radelle: You want a shade or LCD hood. There are several but Delkin and Hoodman are among the most popular. They come in two basic designs -- the popup type you can pop up to use and fold back down when you're using the eye-level viewfinder and the type which is fixed. Here's one example of the latter:

658617.jpg

They're not for everyone and I know some reviews are critical, but they do the trick, particularly when your other option is, as you observed, not being able to see the LCD at all.

Thanks. This is very gratifying.

To Radelle: You want a shade or LCD hood. There are several but Delkin and Hoodman are among the most popular. They come in two basic designs -- the popup type you can pop up to use and fold back down when you're using the eye-level viewfinder and the type which is fixed. Here's one example of the latter:

658617.jpg

They're not for everyone and I know some reviews are critical, but they do the trick, particularly when your other option is, as you observed, not being able to see the LCD at all.

Thanks for the information and photo. I'll head into B&H with this and see what they have available.

Archived