What do you do in Cozumel?

kimberlym4

We'd (me. husband, 14 year old, 10 year old) would like to explore Cozumel a bit when we dock there. The couple of excursions that offer any type of tour the city seem very expensive to me... have you explored on your own? Are there options to take tours once you disembark that don't cost $50 to $80 each? Are there any "not to be missed" activities we should check out? Thanks.

We'd (me. husband, 14 year old, 10 year old) would like to explore Cozumel a bit when we dock there. The couple of excursions that offer any type of tour the city seem very expensive to me... have you explored on your own? Are there options to take tours once you disembark that don't cost $50 to $80 each? Are there any "not to be missed" activities we should check out? Thanks.

The Island of Cozumel itself is very safe to head out on your own. There is Nachi cocom which is an all inclusive for the day but it is $49.00/person and from you post I think you are looking for something economical. There are various public beaches and a big park right on Cozumel that would be a beautiful day and not expensive. Taxis are regulated and not expensive - the ride is per place, not per person so a taxi is good for a family. Many drivers of taxis in Cozumel are glad to give you a quote for their services for the day for a tour or they will pick you up at a certain time - they are pretty reliable. If you chose to go to the mainland (ex: Mayan ruins, or anything not on the island of Cozumel), you MUST take a carnival tour. The ferry is a 45 minute ride to "the mainland Mexico" and it fills up and you might not get back in time for the ship (they will wait for Carnival tour people) If you stay right on Cozumel Island, it is small enough you should not have a problem. Another tip: (always bring toilet paper on excursions in Mexico and other islands in Mexico, Belize any of those places, the bathrooms rarely have any.

Hope this helps

We took a taxi on our own to Chakaanaab (sp?) Park. Has good snorkeling, OK beach and restaurants as well as trails into the jungle. we really enjoyed the visit. We took a taxi back to downtown for some shopping befrore leaving. This is a port to do on you own in my opinion. I do not think you have enough time to go to the mainland and really see anything. There is a good bit to do in Cozumel.

MexicoBob

We took our two kids (12 and 9) to Paradise Beach. Short cab ride there. Once there, chairs and umbrella are free...they just ask that you spend $10 pp on food and drink. They also have wrist bands for $10 that allow you to use all of the water toys. It was a great deal and everyone had a great time!

Archived