How long before i can get travel insurance for an upcoming cruise vacation

shank007

Hi,

I am about to make the final payment today or tomorrow and was wondereing how long i had before i need to get the travel insurance. We have 2, 70+ and 2 65+ folks in the group. We are more interested in gettign an insurance to cover the medical emergency cases on board than for the trip cancellation etc. I tried insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com but they return general travel trip insurance, is there something i need to purchase as being specific for cruise trips.

-thanks

shankar

Any of the general trip policies will also cover cruise travel, although some of the cruise specific policies mention missed ship/connection times that are more specific to cruising type of delays.

If you need to cover pre-existing medical conditions, you are limited to CSA or HTH policies and you need to purchase them within 24 hours of final payment.

If you do not need pre-exisiting coverage AND you do not need cancellation coverage, you have until the day before the cruise. You would also use a $0 trip cost for just onboard medical coverage (no cancellation coverage if someone gets sick between now and the cruise), BUT you are only covered for something unrelated to a pre-existing condition that occurs onboard.

IF these differences are not clear to you, please speak to an agent about what type of coverage you need; I like the folks at tripinsurancestore.com. Cruiseco who posts here can provide some excellent advice as well.

Archived