Don't want to spend a lot in St Thomas

Looking for some advice. DH & I will arrive on Thurs 5/6-looking to s little shopping and hit a nice beach. We are not into snorkeling, not looking to book a "tour" so to speak, just want to sight-see on our own or via a tax-can we do this? Is it affordable> Does anyone know the cost?

As always your advice is greatly appreciated!

Hello.....we are just back from stopping in St. Thomas. All of the Taxi's charge $4 per person to take you where you want to go. They are to the left hand side (once you get off the ship). They have people there to guide you in the right direction. Have fun!!

I have no idea where the above poster went for $4 pp, but generally the taxis are expensive. Your best bet is an organized tour with Sunny Liston or some one else recommended on this board. The beaches are not close to the port area and will run about $10 per person each way except for Morningstar which will be around $6 per person each way if you are docked at Havensight, if Crown BAy $4. per person each way to Emerald Beach Hotel beach (Lindberg Bay). St Thomas is an expensive port.:(

B.

We were in St. Thomas on March 15th. Several ships in port that day. We booked a tour with Sunny Liston. It was fantastic. A little shopping, a little sight-seeing and time on the beach--it was perfect and affordable.

We're booked for this tour on Sunday, April 11. Can you tell me which beach you went to, how much time you had to spend in Charlotte Amalie, and how you fit in lunch? Was there food/drink available at your beach?

Thanks

I too have no idea where they went for $4. Crown Bay is a nice port and the closest beach is Lindberg Bay, or the ever famious Cruise Critic Emerald Beach. I still don't see the fascination with this beach on here, except that it it close to Crown Bay.

I would recommend maybe you do a "tour" When you get off the ship tell the driver what you're looking to do. Tell them you want to shop a little and then ask if they can meet you at "X" time to pick you up and take you to a beach. I would recommend either Magen's Bay, or Secret Harbor. Others, that are little more quieter are Eveningstar Beach at the Frenchman's Cove or Morningstar Beach at Frenchman's Reef- both are Marriott owned. All four recommened have a resturant, as well as restroom facilities.

Ask them to again pick you up at a set time. Most I am sure will be willing to do this and if they aren't, move on to the next one. I am sure you can do this for a prearranged cost. You'll find people in the VI are very nice and accomodating. Remember to say "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening" it's not only polite, it's our way.

A note now about shopping: If you plan on going to the beach afterwards make sure you're bathing suit is not visible. It's considered rude to walk into a store with your suit showing. Guys can get away with this easier if their suit looks like shorts. Women must wear coverups.

Scott

If you are docked in Crown Bay and trying to stay on a budget you can do a little shopping right at Crown Bay, or if you want lots of shops take a taxi to downtown Charlotte Amalie (around $4 pp, ow from Crown Bay to downtown).

If you stick to shopping around Crown Bay you can return your purchases to the ship and grab lunch there. If you head to town you can take the puchases back to the ship and then head to Lindberg Bay (also called Emerald Beach), which is really close to Crown Bay. Actually walkable if you are up for the 15-20 minute walk; otherwise take a short taxi ride. You can watch a video of Lindberg at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDhAUCpZ930.

As for prices on doing other beaches... depends on which one(s). Taxi fares are per person and by destination. $10-$11 pp, one way is a good ballpark for some of the popular beaches, but again it depends on the exact destination. If you had some beaches in mind, post them and then a more exact taxi fare can be provided.

--Islander

Islander- thank you so much for the info & video. I like the idea of taking a taxi into town to do a little shopping and coming back to the ship to drop off any purchases before heading to the beach. I think we will try Emerald beach-the water looks great :D. Can you tell me how we go about getting chairs for our use-do we need a day pass from Marriott or do we negoitate with someone right on the beach? Sorry for asking so many questions but you seem to be very knowledgable and I want to have all my ducks in order prior to leaving-its a control thing -I think :o.

No day pass at Emerald, there are rental chairs. You can rent just the chair or a chair under a fixed palapas umbrella if you want shade. Otherwise you can stick your chair under some of the seagrape trees for some natural shade. Its around $7 for the day for a chair and $10 for umbrella.

PS: Its not a Marriott at Emerald Beach, its a Best Western. The Marriott is at Morningstar Beach.

--Islander

Buffalofirstimer

In St. Thomas 2 weeks ago and docked a Crown Bay.

We did just what you are thinking.

Spent the morning on the beach. Emerald Beach..exactly as the Youtube video

took a cab back to the ship for a lunch and clean up, off into town

for the afternoon. Plenty of time for shopping if you depart at 6.

It is walkable but extreemly hot & humid I would cab it.

Have fun.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Just rented a car for our day in St. Thomas. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids...9, 11 and 13. Would like to just tour the island, wind up at a beach, have lunch, return the car, shop and head back to the ship.

Where would you suggest we go first? Which beach would be good? Already been to Magen's and since there will be a bunch of ships in port, we'd like to head away from the crowds. Would like to get lunch at the beach and rent chairs/floats if they have them.

Any suggestions would be great!

Does anyone know about a self tour walking tour to include the 99 steps. We don't need to do any shopping. We might end up at a beach or we might get a taxi to the lookout/tram. We basically just want to wing it. Any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks.

google st. thomas virgin islands for cruise visitors for some good info!

What a great idea! I just figured with

about 5,320,000 results for things to do in St. Thomas

I might be able to save time and get a few ideas here on cruise critic.

• 3 weeks later...
What a great idea! I just figured with

about 5' date='320,000 results for things to do in St. Thomas

I might be able to save time and get a few ideas here on cruise critic.[/quote']

I can't take any credit. I stole this from someone else's post. We're going to try the tour in November.

99 steps walking tour

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/stthomasusvi/0097010008.html

I can't take any credit. I stole this from someone else's post. We're going to try the tour in November.

99 steps walking tour

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/stthomasusvi/0097010008.html

That's okay. I researched a bit about the steps and found that they used the bricks to weight the ship on the trip over and then would unload them to make room for the stuff they picked up. Then the locals had to figure out what to do with them so they built steps.

I have been to St. Thomas a few times and have never really spent time just walking around, so this trip might just be the time we do just some walking and picture taking.

What cruise are you going on in November?

Heatherco - since you have a car you could go to Lindquist Beach first (no amenities there but the beach is beautiful, here is a video

) and then to Secret Harbor or Cowpet Beach for a little more beach time and to have lunch at the beachside restaurant. At Secret Harbor there is Blue Moon Cafe and at Cowpet there are two beach side restaurants... Ainsleys and Roberts. And then after lunch do a little bit of a driving tour of the island with a few scenic stops for photos.

Kantwait - you can do a self guided walking tour downtown that includes sites like the Legislature Building, some old churches, 99 steps, Government House... The 99 steps and several other 'streets of steps' were built in Charlotte Amalie during the Danish colonial period. There is a very little flat land on St. Thomas. Charlotte Amalie is flat just at the waterfront area basically and then the hills rise up. The 'streets of steps' are said to be the solution to navigating the hillsides back in the day. And they were built of ballast from the ships. You can watch a video of the walking tour at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciE8DHGZfFU.

--Islander

Archived