Santorini, Oia and Ammoudi

nccharlotte

We have been reading all the posts about Santorini. On our visit in early May we are renting a car with automatic transmission. Is the drive from Oia to Ammoudi doable or is the road just too steep to try? We would love to go down to Ammoundi if the road is okay. Also any restaurant suggestions in OIa or Ammoundi.

NC:

I'm afraid that I might have scared people off with my post about the steep road to Ammoudi. Not to worry--it's not that bad! The roads around the island are very pleasant, if curvy. Ammoudi is right below Oia, as in, Oia sits perched on the top of the caldera, while Ammoudi sits below, at the water, sort of under, and just around the corner from Oia. Yes, the road down is steep, but it's not that bad, and the steep part is only the very last 100-200 metres down to Ammoudi. Any car with reasonably good brakes will be fine--it'll be especially easy with an automatic.

So--enjoy! I think you'll do well with any of the waterside seafood places in Ammoudi.

Kevin

BeneathOiaTinyAmmoudi.jpg

ammoudi_oia_86983n.jpg

ammoudi_oia_86971n.jpg

This one (below) shows the footpath down to Ammoudi from Oia. The road down is to the left (off picture).

Ammoudi.jpg

Here (below) you can just get a glimpse of the road coming down.

200559863-001.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=5047FA587DE1CADE0CF31B13CB8B3EB059D7E6550747E53756E315238A341474B5AF9B7D601FECA8

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Ammoudi is really cool. we walked down (and back up) when we were there, but at the bottom of the stairs facing the bay to your right there is a nice restaurant. pretty good food.

Also, if you go to your left you will find a footpath out of town. this leads to a little 'beach'. beach is in quotes because it is mostly rocks and really small. don't expect to lay out here. but the water is beautiful, clear, and an easy way to get in and out. if you are adventurous, there is an outcrop of rock that you can cliff jump off of.

I'm not one to swim in the ocean, but it was awesome to go swimming there and be able to look up and enjoy Oia overhead on the cliffs.

Agree--parking is rather limited at the bottom--the road slopes down, and flattens out with an open parking area at the bottom. We parked a few yards back up the hill--which should be fine with an automatic. I guess it depends on what time of year, and what time of day. It is a popular spot for lunch, and dinner, as Oia/Ammoudi is considered to be the best spot for the famous Santorini sunset.

The last pic showing the road (in my last post) didn't seem to work, so let's try this--it shows the road down, and the flat area at the bottom.

moPhoto68-Amoudi%20Below%20Oia.jpg

Kevin

Archived