passport question

axd0424

When on a cruise in any foreign port, you should always have a passport in your posession! Not in the safe in your cabin room either! What if for some reason you got injured or hospitalized when out on an excursion?? Or if you had treatment in a hospital and missed the ship and would have to fly home or to your next port. Security at airports require passports for you to travel. The passport cards that you can be issued now are only for land purposes.

Thank you. I can not tell you how many people are adament that you should never carry your passport out of the cabin. In my legal experience I have seen the adverse effects of leaving it in the cabin. Oy Vey!

Thank you. I can not tell you how many people are adament that you should never carry your passport out of the cabin. In my legal experience I have seen the adverse effects of leaving it in the cabin. Oy Vey!

Really? Please tell us........Since I have been a member of cc I have not read anywhere that someone had a problem leaving their passport in their cabin while on shore......

I guess I don't understand the resistance to getting a passport. I have had a passport for the last 62 years. As it is right now the cost is about <>$10 a year to have one and have peace of mind. If you want to go out of the country (Canada/Mexico?) at the last minute you are covered.

In any case you should make a copy of your passport and leave it with a family member or friend before you leave on vacation and make a second copy that you can leave in your cabin in case you lose yours while on the ship.

people don't want to get a passport because they don't want to spend the money. it's being penny-wise and dollar-foolish, of course. you don't need a passport -- until you do. all those "what if's", you know, like what if you miss the ship and have to fly to your next port of call, what if you go on a shore excursion and don't make it back to the ship in time, what happens if there's an emergency and you have to fly back home?

as for the adverse effects of leaving the passport on board the ship while you're on a shore excursion?

what if you miss the ship? or what if you're detained by the local police? or you get hurt and wind up in the hospital? you're going to be stranded in a foreign country until one of two things happens -- either someone from the ship must retrieve your passport and have it delivered to you, or you must fill out a ton of paperwork at the US Embassy or consulate in order to get travel documents to be able to go home.

the "what if's" happen so rarely, but they can happen. I personally would never travel outside the US without my passport and (the advice of the cruise director notwithstanding) my passport will come with me every time I go ashore in a foreign port.

people don't want to get a passport because they don't want to spend the money. it's being penny-wise and dollar-foolish, of course. you don't need a passport -- until you do. all those "what if's", you know, like what if you miss the ship and have to fly to your next port of call, what if you go on a shore excursion and don't make it back to the ship in time, what happens if there's an emergency and you have to fly back home?

as for the adverse effects of leaving the passport on board the ship while you're on a shore excursion?

what if you miss the ship? or what if you're detained by the local police? or you get hurt and wind up in the hospital? you're going to be stranded in a foreign country until one of two things happens -- either someone from the ship must retrieve your passport and have it delivered to you, or you must fill out a ton of paperwork at the US Embassy or consulate in order to get travel documents to be able to go home.

the "what if's" happen so rarely, but they can happen. I personally would never travel outside the US without my passport and (the advice of the cruise director notwithstanding) my passport will come with me every time I go ashore in a foreign port.

For me personally I chose to get a passport........only because I like to travel via plane out of the country.......and I also agree if someone is so paranoid about the "what ifs" they should carry their passports with them on shore while on a cruise........

For me personally I chose to get a passport........only because I like to travel via plane out of the country.......and I also agree if someone is so paranoid about the "what ifs" they should carry their passports with them on shore while on a cruise........

not paranoid, just responsible.

other things you never need -- until you do:

health insurance

life insurance

homeowners/renter's insurance

auto insurance

travel insurance

the concept of "insurance" is to recognize that there are risks inherent in every activity. to recognize that a catastrophic occurrence is unlikely to happen, but if a catastrophy does occur the costs associated with the loss are too great for the individual to bear, and therefore the risk is shared or transferred to others. you may live in your house for 40-50 years and never make a claim on your homeowner's insurance, but if the unthinkable happened and your house burned down, aren't you glad you have a policy in place?

I've worked in the insurance industry for 25 years, both at law firms and in-house at insurance companies. the people whose claims I've handled never thought it could happen to them, either.

carrying a document in my pocketbook is not a major deal. not having that document when I need it would be a big deal. so I'm going to carry it with me, and if I never need it, that's just fine.

not paranoid, just responsible.

other things you never need -- until you do:

health insurance

life insurance

homeowners/renter's insurance

auto insurance

travel insurance

the concept of "insurance" is to recognize that there are risks inherent in every activity. to recognize that a catastrophic occurrence is unlikely to happen, but if a catastrophy does occur the costs associated with the loss are too great for the individual to bear, and therefore the risk is shared or transferred to others. you may live in your house for 40-50 years and never make a claim on your homeowner's insurance, but if the unthinkable happened and your house burned down, aren't you glad you have a policy in place?

I've worked in the insurance industry for 25 years, both at law firms and in-house at insurance companies. the people whose claims I've handled never thought it could happen to them, either.

carrying a document in my pocketbook is not a major deal. not having that document when I need it would be a big deal. so I'm going to carry it with me, and if I never need it, that's just fine.

Yes and I have all that and more........but don't carry all that with me on my body.........if I did I would call myself paranoid......but that's me......

Food for thought.......how many people on cc purchase travel insurance but don't take the card with them in port;)

Really? Please tell us........Since I have been a member of cc I have not read anywhere that someone had a problem leaving their passport in their cabin while on shore......

On a personal note - wife's grandma's brother is an adventuresome type for his age and broke his collarbone parasailing in the islands. Passport was in the safe in the cabin and the ship sailed without them. When it was time to come home he had to wait in airport until family from USA flew to him with his passport.

On a professional note - Had to assist airport police many times in career and seen first hand the people stuck here in USA when they show up to catch flight and passport was left in hotel safe, lost, checked in luggage, etc.

Too each his own - just passing along my 2 cents to save folks some problems.

On a personal note - wife's grandma's brother is an adventuresome type for his age and broke his collarbone parasailing in the islands. Passport was in the safe in the cabin and the ship sailed without them. When it was time to come home he had to wait in airport until family from USA flew to him with his passport.

On a professional note - Had to assist airport police many times in career and seen first hand the people stuck here in USA when they show up to catch flight and passport was left in hotel safe' date=' lost, checked in luggage, etc.

Too each his own - just passing along my 2 cents to save folks some problems.[/quote']

Oh no doubt if I was cruising alone I would definitely take my passport on shore..........

And referring to your professional note.........it just proves that passports can get lost or IMO stolen also.......

I guess I don't understand the resistance to getting a passport. I have had a passport for the last 62 years. As it is right now the cost is about <>$10 a year to have one and have peace of mind. If you want to go out of the country (Canada/Mexico?) at the last minute you are covered.

In any case you should make a copy of your passport and leave it with a family member or friend before you leave on vacation and make a second copy that you can leave in your cabin in case you lose yours while on the ship.

I make copies of my passport and put them in each piece of my luggage just in case they get misplaced. Or if I lose my original passport at least I have a copy and I can go to an embassy and get another one.

Oh no doubt if I was cruising alone I would definitely take my passport on shore..........

And referring to your professional note.........it just proves that passports can get lost or IMO stolen also.......

which is why it is prudent to make copies of the passport and keep them separate from the actual passport. and why it is also important to have some insurance coverage for identity theft.

I completely agree. The Passport's entire reason for existence is to facilitate international travel. IMHO, if you leave it locked in your cabin safe, you might as well leave it home on the kitchen table. In either case, it won't be there if/when you need it.

Yes, a passport can be lost or stolen. But so can a purse, wallet, credit card, camera or cash, yet most people wouldn't leave the ship without some or all of those items. Personally, I take one credit card, $50-100 in cash, my camera, my wallet, and my PASSPORT. The passport is just another valuable item that I have handle sensibly while in port.

If you miss the ship for some reason, either through your own fault, or unforeseen circumstances, having the passport to fly home or to the next port of call is just one less problem to deal with in a stressful situation. You can get replacement travel documents from the US embassy or consulate, but that can take time. I've heard that this can take several days. Meanwhile, you have to stay in a local hotel, and you probably will miss any chance of catching up to your ship.

In any situation that calls for a passport, a photocopy is simply not sufficient. It might (might!) make it easier and faster for the consulate to replace it, but why cause yourself the unneccesary hassle?

As long as a BC is sufficient to re-enter the US, here is what I am going to do. I take our passports, as well as certified birth certs. The BC, not the passport stays in the cabin safe. I even take my passport ashore when in a US port, such as San Juan or St. Thomas. While they are US territories and don't require a PP for entry, if I have to fly to another foreign country to catch up to the ship, the PP will make that easier. If the PP should be lost or stolen, I will still have the BC in the safe to re-enter the US.

FYI for those of you considering getting passports in the very near future. Just got DD's in the mail yesterday and it only took 2 1/2 weeks. It was a renewal but was treated same as a new one because she was under age 16 when she got the last one.

I completely agree. The Passport's entire reason for existence is to facilitate international travel. IMHO, if you leave it locked in your cabin safe, you might as well leave it home on the kitchen table. In either case, it won't be there if/when you need it.

Yes, a passport can be lost or stolen. But so can a purse, wallet, credit card, camera or cash, yet most people wouldn't leave the ship without some or all of those items. Personally, I take one credit card, $50-100 in cash, my camera, my wallet, and my PASSPORT. The passport is just another valuable item that I have handle sensibly while in port.

If you miss the ship for some reason, either through your own fault, or unforeseen circumstances, having the passport to fly home or to the next port of call is just one less problem to deal with in a stressful situation. You can get replacement travel documents from the US embassy or consulate, but that can take time. I've heard that this can take several days. Meanwhile, you have to stay in a local hotel, and you probably will miss any chance of catching up to your ship.

In any situation that calls for a passport, a photocopy is simply not sufficient. It might (might!) make it easier and faster for the consulate to replace it, but why cause yourself the unneccesary hassle?

As long as a BC is sufficient to re-enter the US, here is what I am going to do. I take our passports, as well as certified birth certs. The BC, not the passport stays in the cabin safe. I even take my passport ashore when in a US port, such as San Juan or St. Thomas. While they are US territories and don't require a PP for entry, if I have to fly to another foreign country to catch up to the ship, the PP will make that easier. If the PP should be lost or stolen, I will still have the BC in the safe to re-enter the US.

Just remember most those small islands in the Caribbean have very few flights out each day and most are completely booked.......it won't be that easy to meet up at the next port even if you have your passport;)

And I agree with you regarding a purse and wallet can get stolen too.........I would never bring those on shore either.......especially a purse with a passport in it.......

LMAO!! Do you sell insurance:confused::D

I gotta tell you....passport threads are replacing tips:confused: I think I will have mine tatoo'd on my butt so if the 40 copies I have on my person, luggage, safe, drawers in the room rolled up socks and other's I choose not to mention all get lost I can get back to the next island/port. I will also carry all of my cash, blood transfusions (just in case) and DNA mapping (arn't they all the same) with me as well. ;)

Me, either! I have read that a ship's staff will retrieve the Passport from the cabin (or Purser's) safe and deliver it to the Port Agent, who delivers it to the stranded (for whatever reason) passenger.

According to http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html regarding passports:

"LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by land and sea outside of the United States are required to present a passport book/card, or other valid travel documents to enter or re-enter the United States."

If you keep reading it does say: "The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory."

However, like I said before...I have seen people get turned away at the airport (I do not know the circumstances) when these people were returning to the US from St. Thomas. Yes, I am fully aware about St. Thomas being a US Territory but most customs areas prefer the passports because it is easier (and quicker) to get in and out. This will be very helpful on really busy travel days.

I agree with everyone about the "what ifs..." and I think that since most cruises travel outside the US, you should have a passport for those "what if..." situations.

LMAO!! Do you sell insurance:confused::D

I work for one of the largest property/casualty insurers in the world. I am in claims, not sales or underwriting, so I get to see the mess people create for themselves when they don't get the right insurance.

I gotta tell you....passport threads are replacing tips:confused: I think I will have mine tatoo'd on my butt so if the 40 copies I have on my person, luggage, safe, drawers in the room rolled up socks and other's I choose not to mention all get lost I can get back to the next island/port. I will also carry all of my cash, blood transfusions (just in case) and DNA mapping (arn't they all the same) with me as well. ;)

OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!! Serious........you never know....what if:rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh:D

Me, either! I have read that a ship's staff will retrieve the Passport from the cabin (or Purser's) safe and deliver it to the Port Agent, who delivers it to the stranded (for whatever reason) passenger.

This is what I have heard also.........that and family and friends can easily retrieve them also..........

Another good idea is give a copy to your TA.......

OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!! Serious........you never know....what if:rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh:D

This is what I have heard also.........that and family and friends can easily retrieve them also..........

Another good idea is give a copy to your TA.......

Wait a minute, I am my own TA....now what do I do:eek:

Wait a minute, I am my own TA....now what do I do:eek:

You can send a copy to my TA:D

On a semi-serious note....I still say leave it on the ship. You have a much better chance at loosing it or having it stolen (big market for these) as needing it....JMHO:cool:

The last thing I want to worry about while I'm in port....a passport......

I carry nothing of value......unless you count Carnivals beach towel and sunscreen:D And that ain't simi.......that is serious......

Archived