does anyone wear shorts in the dining room?

We are travelling with our 3 teenagers over Spring Break. I know that they say that no shorts are allowed in the dining room. But I also know that formal night doesn't have to be extremely formal. Can someone who has been on the Oasis tell me if teenage boys can get away with wearing khaki or plaid shorts and a polo shirt or do they have to wear long khakis? We don't want to pack a lot of things that we won't need. Thanks!

We are travelling with our 3 teenagers over Spring Break. I know that they say that no shorts are allowed in the dining room. But I also know that formal night doesn't have to be extremely formal. Can someone who has been on the Oasis tell me if teenage boys can get away with wearing khaki or plaid shorts and a polo shirt or do they have to wear long khakis? We don't want to pack a lot of things that we won't need. Thanks!

Shorts are ok in the dinning room for breakfast and lunch not dinner time.

Royal Caribbean specifically states that shorts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner. Personally, on over 15 cruises with Royal, I have seldom seen shorts in the dining room during dinner.

When my son was a teenager, I always packed one pair of khaki's which he wore to dinner every evening with a different shirt. After dinner he changed back into shorts. ;)

I have a teenage boy (16)who absolutely hates dressing up. We went on the Explorer two years ago and he was able to wear nice khaki or plaid shorts every night w/ a polo shirt in the dining room. No one ever said anything to him. We will be going on the Oasis next month and not sure how they will renforce the rule on that ship. I'll bring one pair of khakis for him just in case they don't let him in. I'd try the shorts first. My son is a good looking kid if I don't say so myself and I thought he looked very nice and clean cut and presentable w/ his nice shorts and polo.

I did'nt notice one person with shorts on. I think they are actually enforcing this. I mistakenly had a cap on for lunch one day and was asked to remove it. Shorts for lunch, no problem. Not for dinner.

The one thing I noticed while on Oasis was they everyone dressed more formal, even on casual nights it seemed like a good portion dressed up. The crew was also enforcing the dress code for once. I saw several instances where teens were sent to the WindJammer for being under dressed while there parents continued into the MDR. Having said that I think on the casual nights you are going to be fine with getting in with khaki or plaid shorts, just not jeans. Don't try the shorts on formal night though as it will not get in.

Maybe the four words in your question...."can get away with"... provide the answer you know is right, but not the one you seek.:eek:

Haven't been on RCI yet, but other lines are pretty lenient on the first night in regards to how people are dressed at dinner, since a lot of people might not have received their luggage yet or had a change to unpack.

Haven't been on RCI yet, but other lines are pretty lenient on the first night in regards to how people are dressed at dinner, since a lot of people might not have received their luggage yet or had a change to unpack.

You are correct about the first night of the cruise, however, they are are not so lenient on the other nights. ;)

You are correct about the first night of the cruise, however, they are are not so lenient on the other nights. ;)

They're also lenient on the last night as well. I wore nice shorts with a shirt on the last night and no one said a word. I had already packed.

There is a short paragraph in EVERY Cruise compass alluding to NO SHORTS Tank tops, flip flops and hats in the Dining Rooms in the evening and no hats as well anytime in the dining rooms.

However in this society we always have those that do not abide by the rules and go that way anyway. SELDOM have I seen anyone turned away in shorts at night. As far as I am concerned, if you cannot follow the rules then you should eat elsewhere and the People at the front of the dining room should enforce the rules out of respect for the rest of us. That does not happen, believe me and that it my pet peeve. If you are not going to enforce this rule, then take it out of the Compass!!

We have been on more than 30 ships and NONE of them care to get in a confrontation with these people. It is a Gray Area we were told.

So if you choose to come to the evening dining room dressed like a slob, you probably will not be turned away.

There is a short paragraph in EVERY Cruise compass alluding to NO SHORTS Tank tops, flip flops and hats in the Dining Rooms in the evening and no hats as well anytime in the dining rooms.

However in this society we always have those that do not abide by the rules and go that way anyway. SELDOM have I seen anyone turned away in shorts at night. As far as I am concerned, if you cannot follow the rules then you should eat elsewhere and the People at the front of the dining room should enforce the rules out of respect for the rest of us. That does not happen, believe me and that it my pet peeve. If you are not going to enforce this rule, then take it out of the Compass!!

We have been on more than 30 ships and NONE of them care to get in a confrontation with these people. It is a Gray Area we were told.

So if you choose to come to the evening dining room dressed like a slob, you probably will not be turned away.

:::yawn:::

Here we go again. Anyone have popcorn?

:::yawn:::

Here we go again. Anyone have popcorn?

LOL. I wonder if the shorts wearing people were seated already, and then this person comes along a few minutes later, and had a perfectly enjoyable time, if they would think their dinner was ruined when the other guy got up and the shorts were noticed.

LOL. I wonder if the shorts wearing people were seated already, and then this person comes along a few minutes later, and had a perfectly enjoyable time, if they would think their dinner was ruined when the other guy got up and the shorts were noticed.

Agreed.

Hey I think rules are made to be followed also. But sometimes (and I mean only SOMETIMES) there are understandable exceptions, like the first and last night, and I absolutely HATE this notion that just because you show up in the dining room in shorts, you are a slob, and you're ruining someone else's dinner.

I can wear stylish shorts with a nice polo shirt and look better than a REAL slob with jeans (which are "legal) and ugly shirt. Go figure.

There will always be some that think that the rules apply to everyone but themselves. We have seen it right here on this thread.:rolleyes:

In twenty five cruises, I have never and I mean NEVER seen a person turned away from the dining room for their attire. That includes some heinous attire on formal nights that included one guy in farmer's overalls and clodhopper boots and one guy in cargo shorts and polo shirt with beaten up sandals. I sat beside this guy.

The cruises I ahve been on have been mass market cruises, RCI, Carnival, NCL. I have never sailed on Crystal or SilverSea or Regent Seven Seas,s o it is possible their expectations are far stricter.

Here's my philosophy. I am there to eat and have a good time. If someone else chooses to ignore the suggested attire, it is not my lookout. I know they send a statement to the world about their choices and preferences, but that is really their problem not mine.

Not sure how I feel on this issue. I have seen multiple people in shorts flipflops and even jeans. No one to my knowledge was turned away. I enjoy dressing up but it doesn't bother me what others do unless you clearly look like a slob.

I also believe teenagers have more leeway because its a known fact that teen (boys) hate to dress up so I'm sure you will be fine.

Last January on the first night there was a couple at our table who were in shorts. They were the only ones we saw the entire cruise who wore shorts to the MDR during out Oasis cruise. I'm not sure if it was allowed the first night due to luggage still being delivered or if they allowed it the remainder of the cruise and I just didn't see it again.

Really......I mean REALLY!

Who cares......eat your dinner and shut the pie hole as it is not a big deal at all!

I say that everyone has paid their money so they should be able to choose what they wear.....

Obviously the OP cares, otherwise, the question would not have bee asked. :rolleyes:

We have two teenage sons. They understand that when we go on a cruise, they are to dress up for dinner in the main dining room. I pack one pair of black Dockers for them (and black dress shoes), which they wear every night for dinner. They wear them with golf style shirts (casual nights) and with a shirt and tie for formal nights. After dinner, they change into whatever, and I hang the pants back up for the next night. Never, ever heard any complaining from them about this.

Archived