does anyone wear shorts in the dining room?

Obviously the OP cares, otherwise, the question would not have bee asked. :rolleyes:

I think the point is, why does it bother the OP or anyone else what other people wear? We enjoy getting dressed up, and our kids enjoyed getting dressed up, and that's what matters to us. People who get all uptight or snotty about what other people are dressed like should take a look in the mirror, because with thousands of people on the ship, there is likely somebody dressed better.

I don't understand why the boys just can't wear the pants instead of shorts? People will just be probably cursing you behind your back anyway so why not just wear the pants? Tell them that's the rule of being on the cruise and if they don't like it then go eat at another venue. That is what they proably want to do anyway and you perhaps want them to eat with you so you might be bribing them by telling them they do not have to follow the dress rules? Heck, they are lucky to be on a cruise like the Oasis. Teenagers should be taught respect and that there are times when they have to follow the rules, even if they don't like them. It sends them a bad message to openly let them break the rules just because they can get away with it and their parents condone it. I think you will find they will actually not mind it and they will give themselves a sense of dignity. This is my opinion, which may not be liked, but opinions were asked for. I also raised two teenage boys myself so I know how they love to push the envelope.

I don't understand why the boys just can't wear the pants instead of shorts? People will just be probably cursing you behind your back anyway so why not just wear the pants? Tell them that's the rule of being on the cruise and if they don't like it then go eat at another venue. That is what they proably want to do anyway and you perhaps want them to eat with you so you might be bribing them by telling them they do not have to follow the dress rules? Heck, they are lucky to be on a cruise like the Oasis. Teenagers should be taught respect and that there are times when they have to follow the rules, even if they don't like them. It sends them a bad message to openly let them break the rules just because they can get away with it and their parents condone it. I think you will find they will actually not mind it and they will give themselves a sense of dignity. This is my opinion, which may not be liked, but opinions were asked for. I also raised two teenage boys myself so I know how they love to push the envelope.

I just asked a simple question and all I needed was a simple answer. Thanks to those of you who answered in that manner. I didn't come here for parenting advice. We don't have a problem with the long pants; just wondered what it really was like onboard.

Really......I mean REALLY!

Who cares......eat your dinner and shut the pie hole as it is not a big deal at all!

I say that everyone has paid their money so they should be able to choose what they wear.....

Speaking of pie holes.:eek::rolleyes:

Everyone! I, myself had a great cruise on the Oasis. I have seen were people have been disappointed by the number of rude people on the ship. It might start by just the simple fact that they ask all to be wearing pants in the Opus and there are those who want to see where the line is drawn. This isn't meant for the original poster but those saying that it is no big deal. Like others have said, my little Johnny is not going to follow the rules and that's final!

I am glad that you brought this up as well. I never even thought about my kids having to wear pants at dinner time. I didn't realize that it was a rule. I was mostly concerned about the formal nights. Like most people on this thread suggested, I will throw a pair of pants or skirt (for my daughter) in the suitcase as well. I think they will enjoy it and following rules is a good thing. As a side note my son is taking up golfing and has had to learn that most golf courses expect you to wear pants as well. He abides by the rules if he wants to play.

D

Yes speaking of pie holes........

Why would any one care what others are wearing to dinner.....this is not a private party or your wedding.....so to worry what others think is simply a waste of time.

So if I come in a suit and tie .....that has not been pressed in months ....I have complied to the standards but look like a slop.

Life is really to short to worry what others think or wear.....I prefer to wear a smile and have a good time.

Well a bunch of you has just completely ruined my cruise and I dont even get on the oasis until sat 3rd april. :eek: I expected to be going on a cruise to chill out and have a relaxing time. I'm 56 and just a knockabout bloke from down under who wears shorts almost every time I step out the door, and have done most of my life. Looks like I might have to eat sandwiches with the lessor people.

LIGHTEN UP A BIT.

There are a lot of other people in this world who just want to have fun. :rolleyes:

It should be clear that there are other options abvailable to the "hate to dress up" crowd. They are not REQUIRED to eat in the MDR. On Oasis they can eat at Johnny Rockets, Seafood Shack, the Windjammer, Sorrento's Pizza and other more casual venues or order room service.

And those that insist everyone has to dress up to eat in the MDR have other options for their vacation dollars as well. They don't have to sail on RCI, which is a mass market cruise line which caters to the casual crowd.

I am glad that you brought this up as well. I never even thought about my kids having to wear pants at dinner time. I didn't realize that it was a rule. I was mostly concerned about the formal nights. Like most people on this thread suggested, I will throw a pair of pants or skirt (for my daughter) in the suitcase as well. I think they will enjoy it and following rules is a good thing. As a side note my son is taking up golfing and has had to learn that most golf courses expect you to wear pants as well. He abides by the rules if he wants to play.

D

Once onboard, ask when you get to the MDR if the kids can wear shorts to dinner or if they must have long pants on. RCI is pretty laid back but, I have seen signs posted that shorts aren't allowed for dinner. I've also seen at least one couple in the MDR in shorts at dinner time so, to be honest, I'm not 100% certain how strict they are.

I will say that the MDR tends to be a little chilly. Personally, I don't know that I could sit through dinner in shorts without freezing half to death. I've always fealt that this was intentional on RCI's part to get people to wear pants. Unfortunately for my wife, who tends to get cold easily, it means wearing some sort of jacket to dinner.

D

When we were on the Freedom a few years back, we wanted to eat at Chops and when we went to the door, the gentlemen told us that no shorts were allowed so we went back to our cabins, threw on some pants went to dinner. Places have rules and dress codes. It is like that both on and off a cruise ship ;)

When we were on the Freedom a few years back, we wanted to eat at Chops and when we went to the door, the gentlemen told us that no shorts were allowed so we went back to our cabins, threw on some pants went to dinner. Places have rules and dress codes. It is like that both on and off a cruise ship ;)

But with RCI is appears to be a moving target. Some ships, no shorts. Others shorts are OK. I believe shorts have always been off the menu at the specialty restaurants. I don't recall ever seeing them or reading that someone wore them into on of the extra charge venues.

I just returned from the Oasis where my 13 year old wore shorts to the main dining room every night. No one ever asked him to change. I would have preferred him to wear something dressier, but I was lucky to see him in something other than his favorite t-shirts. :)

Archived