Cashing Travelers' Cheques on HAL

NDRB

It sounds like U.S. dollars should be fine to use in ports? Will HAL (Amsterdam) be able to cash U.S. Travelers' Cheques on board without a problem? I' m concerned about bringing TOO much cash along....

Nina

We have been on a number of HAL cruises and I have always seen people cashing their travellers cheques.

If you are at all worried, give Ships Services a ring at HAL. Their number is on their website.

Have a wonderful cruise. My sister returned two weeks ago from the Christmas-New Year cruise around Antarctica on her. She loved the experience.

Jennie

Somehow I had the impression that using US dollars in the various ports might be easier than having to deal with leftover currency that you might have from using the local ATMs?

Maybe you don't get as good deals from vendors/shops using American currency as you would with local currency (or credit cards in teh shops, which would be my own preference)?

I'm thinking that we'll have to use an ATM in Rio upon our arrival to pay the taxi from the airport to our hotel, though? Too bad they don't take credit cards like they do in Copenhagen and Oslo...

Nina

Don't rely on the Rio ATM's for all of your money. Last December I tried three different ATM's in Rio and none would accept my cash card. Thank goodness I had enough $ in Traveler's checks so it didn't impact our trip (The traveler's checks were easily cashed at the Pursar's desk on the ship and at the hotel where we stayed although exchange rate was a bit less than standard).

We had a problem at the Shannon Airport in Ireland of all places, trying to use our Wells Fargo ATM card! None of machines there was part of the Cirrus network- we had to wait until we got to Killarney to get Euros from the many machines in town there.

So, I AM a bit concerned after that experience...

The taxis should cost about $30 US from the airport in Rio to Copacabana? How much in local currency?

I don't want to sound like an ugly American, but US dollars were widely accepted even in China this past summer ...

Nina

I have read that U.S. dollars are accepted in most of the S.A. countries. In fact that is what we were going to take next January plus some small amounts of local currency and our credit cards. Please let me know if you find out that this is not the case.

Jennie

Archived