Altun Ha thru Island Marketing

cruisingbajan

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone out there has done this tour recently through Island Marketing?

If so can you advise what time you got off the ship? Were the guides there when you arrived? Did they get you back in plenty of time to get onto the ship without feeling rushed?

Thanks in advance

We really enjoyed our excursion to Altun Ha with Belize Cruise Excursions in June 2009. The timing details that I was concerned about were not an issue – we were back in plenty of time to tender back to the ship and in fact there was no line waiting for us! There was some time for shopping before the tour – but we do not tend to buy much on our vacations. Afterwards, it would be tight to schedule in shopping time.

I will also say it was hot – I knew it would be, but wow! I was saddened that our bus was NOT well air conditioned. It was an old school bus and more like a light, coolish breeze, than actual air conditioning – and we were sitting in the front road (not necessarily a good idea given the VERY narrow roads of Belize – much like playing chicken!).

Our driver and guide were very friendly; they stopped along the way to get us mangoes – refreshing! I mention the roads, because they are not like our highways, they are narrow, with many potholes, etc; my husband noticed that our driver would chuckle about his passengers white knuckled ride, but he was very capable! The tour of the city on the way to the ruins was informative and relaxing.

The ruins themselves were beautiful – it is great to be able to walk on them – not roped off like so many historical sites. The lunch that followed was also very good – chicken w/rice & beans, and cold lemonade. The grounds were nice – a butterfly hours, some birds, etc. I walked under a mango tree and was swarmed by mosquitoes – despite my bug spray – but was unaffected by bugs at the ruins with my bug repellant.

Hope this helps!

Ally

We really enjoyed our excursion to Altun Ha with Belize Cruise Excursions in June 2009. The timing details that I was concerned about were not an issue – we were back in plenty of time to tender back to the ship and in fact there was no line waiting for us! There was some time for shopping before the tour – but we do not tend to buy much on our vacations. Afterwards, it would be tight to schedule in shopping time.

I will also say it was hot – I knew it would be, but wow! I was saddened that our bus was NOT well air conditioned. It was an old school bus and more like a light, coolish breeze, than actual air conditioning – and we were sitting in the front road (not necessarily a good idea given the VERY narrow roads of Belize – much like playing chicken!).

Our driver and guide were very friendly; they stopped along the way to get us mangoes – refreshing! I mention the roads, because they are not like our highways, they are narrow, with many potholes, etc; my husband noticed that our driver would chuckle about his passengers white knuckled ride, but he was very capable! The tour of the city on the way to the ruins was informative and relaxing.

The ruins themselves were beautiful – it is great to be able to walk on them – not roped off like so many historical sites. The lunch that followed was also very good – chicken w/rice & beans, and cold lemonade. The grounds were nice – a butterfly hours, some birds, etc. I walked under a mango tree and was swarmed by mosquitoes – despite my bug spray – but was unaffected by bugs at the ruins with my bug repellant.

Hope this helps!

Ally

Thanks Ally this certainly does help. A couple of other questions for you, you said there was a bit of a wait before the tour started.

What was the reason for the delay? What time did you get on the tender to shore?

Our tour departure time was 9:30 am, in Belize time which is 2 hours different from ships time. The ship arrived at 8 am and left at 5 pm. It is a 4 hour tour. The time change confused me more than it should. When booking that was a concern of mine - a late tour start and making it back in time to tender back to the ship. In the end I read so many positive comments we took the risk and were fine having done so.

While we did not get off the ship first thing, we expected there could be a line and got a tender with plenty of time to get to the pier. Our choice to do so. Most of the others were also there 15+ minutes early. There was one couple who were a bit late and we waited for them, but it was less than 5-10 minutes, so not a big deal.

Basic message, if you want to shop or do anything else while in Belize - do it before your tour, there is little time after. But, there is no need to rush off the ship. Enjoy a nice breafast and avoid the first tender rush!

Ally

We don't plan to do any shopping at all in Belize so this is not an issue for us. From what I have read it seems that the earlier you get to the pier the sooner your excursion begins. Once persons are not too late I figure we should be ok too.

Thanks again for your help.

had planned to take this excursion. ship had "problems" with tendering. we were in lined up for a tender from 8:15am to 9:45am (ships time), so we did not get ashore in time for our tour. to be fair to island marketing, they have not charged us even though we were a no show. i'm sure we were not the only ones off our ship who were booked on their tour, but in any case, they were gone by the time we got ashore.

ruins in costa maya were very impressive though (used native choice) and we did use island marketing for a beach day in cozumel and that went without a hitch.

• 4 weeks later...

This tour went off without a hitch. We left ontime and got back with plenty of time to spare.

Our guide Carlos was VERY knowledgeable. It was a great tour and all of my fears were baseless. I would highly recommend them.

Archived