Having Second Thoughts on Carnival Destiny (already booked)

FLA_Golfer

Ok guys and gals this is the story. We have a cruise booked for September 20th - 25th to the Eastern Caribbean aboard the Carnival Destiny.

Now I have been doing more and more research on the boat, something I should have done prior to booking, but none-the-less, if I have read 50 reviews 40 - 45 of them have been horrific.

Leaving up to 7 hours late from Miami, not making it to ports or just turning around all together and not getting a refund from Carnival.

Now I know that some people have been on the ship and had a grand time and no issues have come up, but it seems more people have had issues with this ship than have had good reviews about it.

Now we have plenty of time (180 days) to cancel with no fees from Carnival but my question is, what would you do?

As I said, I have read at least 50 reviews of people on this ship with some being as recent as the first week of March this year and 90 - 95% of them have been very, very bad reviews.

Any input here would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you in advance.

Ok guys and gals this is the story. We have a cruise booked for September 20th - 25th to the Eastern Caribbean aboard the Carnival Destiny.

Now I have been doing more and more research on the boat, something I should have done prior to booking, but none-the-less, if I have read 50 reviews 40 - 45 of them have been horrific.

Leaving up to 7 hours late from Miami, not making it to ports or just turning around all together and not getting a refund from Carnival.

Now I know that some people have been on the ship and had a grand time and no issues have come up, but it seems more people have had issues with this ship than have had good reviews about it.

Now we have plenty of time (180 days) to cancel with no fees from Carnival but my question is, what would you do?

As I said, I have read at least 50 reviews of people on this ship with some being as recent as the first week of March this year and 90 - 95% of them have been very, very bad reviews.

Destiny had some propulsion problems a while back which may account for may of the not so positive reviews. I would key in on the latest ones.

Destiny had some propulsion problems a while back which may account for may of the not so positive reviews. I would key in on the latest ones.

In fact she has recently been drydocked to fix that problem so you should be good to go.

As the previous poster stated, the Destiny had some major propulsion issues, however she was dry-docked and repaired.

Since then she has not missed any ports that I have read. I suggest you look in this forum for reviews (in thread) since she came out of dry dock. There are at least 3 that I have seen since she came out.

I would keep my booking, because there is always a reason I pick a ship. Sometimes it is the ports, and while I would be upset if we missed, I would be more upset if I just gave up because I thought we would miss them and the ship made it to each of them on time....

I was on the March 8th sailing and had a great time. It was a 5 night cruise. We did miss going to Half Moon Cay because of the weather, not the ship. Don't have second thoughts you will have a great time. Your cruise has the same stops as mine. You won't find many Carnival ships going to Half Moon and Grand Turk...along with Nassau.

Thank you all for your responses so quickly. We REALLY want to go on this cruise to these ports that is why we booked this ship at this time when we could go.

I have been focusing on the more recent reviews. As I said, I read one from the first of March this year, only a mere 23 days ago and that poster said they missed a port and went somewhere else instead.

ANother poster on that same cruise time frame said the staff was rude, the captain made it out that he/they were doing them a favour for going to antoher port when they could have just as easily taken the ship back to Miami instead.

It is just a lot of bad reviews to very few good reviews even recently that I have found on this ship. We would hate to spend a lot of hard earned money to not have a great time as we have had on Carnival cruise and cruises in general in the past.

I am sure everyone can see my concerns here.

I was on the March 8th sailing and had a great time. It was a 5 night cruise. We did miss going to Half Moon Cay because of the weather, not the ship. Don't have second thoughts you will have a great time. Your cruise has the same stops as mine. You won't find many Carnival ships going to Half Moon and Grand Turk...along with Nassau.

Thank you for that posting as this is a very recent sailing and I would have no beef if we missed a port due to weather. That is an unseen issue they have no control over.

That puts my mind at rest a little bit for sure.

I mean we still have a long time before the cruise so maybe more and more positive reviews will come out on this ship. And we would still have ample time to cancel (if need be) with no penalties and book another cruise.

Thank you all for your responses so quickly. We REALLY want to go on this cruise to these ports that is why we booked this ship at this time when we could go.

I have been focusing on the more recent reviews. As I said, I read one from the first of March this year, only a mere 23 days ago and that poster said they missed a port and went somewhere else instead.

That was because of high seas making tendering at HMC dangerous. Could happen to any ship, anytime.

ANother poster on that same cruise time frame said the staff was rude, the captain made it out that he/they were doing them a favour for going to antoher port when they could have just as easily taken the ship back to Miami instead.

Take this one with a grain of salt (or any similar for any other ship any line), it is usually the reviewers attitude to life.

It is just a lot of bad reviews to very few good reviews even recently that I have found on this ship. We would hate to spend a lot of hard earned money to not have a great time as we have had on Carnival cruise and cruises in general in the past.

I am sure everyone can see my concerns here.

Rebuttals in red.

The Destiny is a nice ship and you will have a great time. Things happen on cruise ships, all of them. One year on the Legend, we had the steward from h*ll and although it didn't ruin our cruise, the review was not great...someone else on the cruise might have had a wonderful time. Some people love to complain, we've seen long lines at the service desk for people wanting compensation for the most ridiculous things. People also seem to like to write bad reviews, and it seems people who have a great times are less passionate in their reviews. Take the reviews with a grain of salt. We love sea days so canceled ports only make it better for us. Others HATE sea days and plan private excursions that are difficult to cancel if the ship skips a port. We never attend shows and are early birds so we never see lines because we are on a different schedule. The fact that their "show is the same as last year on another ship" makes no difference to us. Other people have to be entertained 24/7 and 10 minutes of down time they treat as a personal insult to their importance by the cruise line.

Sh*t happens so go with the flow and have a great vacation. Going to another ship makes no difference - problems are as random as bad weather.

I want to thank everyone that has gave me their input so far and it is very refreshing to hear let me tell you.

And both of us (my fiance' and I) are both laid back people and just take things in stride. I hardly ever complain unless it is something that should be brought to someones attention. I'm just not that guy you know?

It was just getting to become a concern all the "negative" feedback I had read from people. And where it is someone elses opinion of course, the bad reviews over the good reviews were just pyling up as I had been reading them today and the past few days.

As I have said in earlier posts, if a ship missed a port due to the weather I can accept that of course, but sometimes it was said they missed due to ship difficulties and I would not like that too much of course.

And I also understand Stuff happens as I travel A LOT during the year for my job and stuff happens all the time. But I am sure you can understand my concerns here with ALL the bad reviews that are out there on this ship.

@David & Rita - I see you have been on the Destiny 5 times and I assume each time was a very good time correct?

It does make me feel A LOT better hearing from people that have been on the ship and have an outlook on life much as we do.

Thanks again already tons guys and gals for all the replies on this and my concerns on this ship.

If you are cruising for ports, specifically Half Moon Cay, I would reconsider. It misses Half Moon Cay ALOT before and after drydock. Makes me wonder if it's really weather related. I specifically didnt book Destiny because of that.

We are flying in from Ca. to take the Liberty and our main reason is Half Moon Cay. Liberty seems to miss it way less often.. I'm taking the ship that makes it more often than not.

I dont know now really. I have gone over to the 'Review' section here on CC and the most recent reviews have not been that great either. As I said, I am a happy go lucky guy and make the best out of almost anything, but on a a vaction I do expect somethings to go right and be correct and as advertised you know?

There seems to be a central theme going that there is a sweage smell on the ship. Obviously I cannot confirm this as I have never been on her.

But a few things seem to come out in almost every review I have read.

1) The smell and cleanliness of the ship

2) The staff's rudness

3) Always seems to be some sort of "mechanical difficulties" with the Destiny.

Hi FLA Cruiser, it's totally your call on the decision but I wouldn't base it only on the reviews you have read here. There will always be some bad reviews for every ship. I just went on the Destiny in Nov '09 and our sailing was one of the ones that didn't make it to any of the scheduled ports. While we were extremely disappointed because the itinarary was the reason we chose this ship and we were not happy with the replacements we still had a WONDERFUL time on the Destiny. So much so that I am going on her again in 5 weeks with a group of girls. Of all my 11 cruises this one had the best food all around and we never experienced any rude staff. We did smell a slight sewage odor a couple of times but I have smelled that one every cruise I've ever been on. It wasn't anymore noticable on the Destiny. I hope you decide to keep your booking and have a FABULOUS time. I certainly hope to the next time I'm on her!

I was on the Destiny last Sept. All was good until the 5th night of the cruise. we had some kind of engine issue. we still went to our last port, and they worked on it for a while there while we were in port. and then on the way back to FL, we were traveling at a slower speed. We all got letters in our staterooms detailing the problems and that we would be arriving about 3 hrs late to FL for departure and that they would rebook flights for us if we needed it. Lots of people were pissed and upset. It did not bother us as we did drive to the port and we got to sleep in a few hrs the next morning. Some people are born complainers and that's what they do. I can't stand those kind of people. The problem did not take away from our cruise at all, we had a great time and would sail the Destiny again, even now. Destiny has always been known to get the bad reviews , there were lots of bad reviews b4 i sailed on her, and i was in your boat dude, i myself was a bit worried. But really it was a great cruise. The food was great as always and the staff was just as nice as on my other cruises. i would not cancel yet.

-David

Hi! Just off of Destiny on Monday. We had a great cruise! There were 20 in our group and everyone of us loved the ship. We did not notice any sewage smell. Our dining staff were fabulous. Our room steward was just ok. I've definitely had better on other ships. No worries - I think you'll love the Destiny and have a great time!

But a few things seem to come out in almost every review I have read.

1) The smell and cleanliness of the ship

2) The staff's rudness

3) Always seems to be some sort of "mechanical difficulties" with the Destiny.

We're going on the Destiny in a week, so I have been keeping a very close eye on recent reviews. Everything I read just makes me more excited for my cruise! I haven't seen anything about rude staff. All the mechanical difficulties were pre-drydock. As for the smell of the ship, I have seen that about so many ships lately, and it's so weird. It's nothing I have ever smelled on a ship, and I will be horrified if I do, so I am definitely going to be aware of it.

Keep your eye out for my review in about two weeks!!!

Hi there...

We sail the Destiny in 39 days...yay!!!! I was like you, i was reading all these horrible reviews and having the same exact thoughts as you. Once the boat went to dry dock Feb 20th, the propulsion problems were fixed. If you go right to the reviews and read them, they are horrible reviews, however, if you snoop around on this thread and go back, you will find several reviews since the dry dock and everyone has been extremely happy with their cruise. I know there may be some bulbs out, a piece of broken glass that needs replaced and maybe some long lines at prime time in the buffet lines, but that WILL NOT affect my thinking of our cruise! If people are gonna let those little things bother them, then they were better off to stay at home!

PS-I've actually seen on here that the Destiny has staff members that are better than most of the boats. This is our 3rd Carnival cruise and am I worried about the reviews...heck no! 5 days w/Carnival is much better than 5 days at work....woohoo!:)

We're going on the Destiny in a week, so I have been keeping a very close eye on recent reviews. Everything I read just makes me more excited for my cruise! I haven't seen anything about rude staff. All the mechanical difficulties were pre-drydock. As for the smell of the ship, I have seen that about so many ships lately, and it's so weird. It's nothing I have ever smelled on a ship, and I will be horrified if I do, so I am definitely going to be aware of it.

Keep your eye out for my review in about two weeks!!!

Hi Murphalina....

I wish we only had 1 week until we cruise the Destiny. I can't wait to read your review. I have seen on several threads that that "norovirus" was going around the Destiny. :eek: We sail May 3rd and that right now is the only thing that has me a little worried. I wasn't sure if you had seen that so i wanted to warn you on that. Hope you have a wonderful trip and can't wait to read your review!!!!!:)

Hi Murphalina....

I wish we only had 1 week until we cruise the Destiny. I can't wait to read your review. I have seen on several threads that that "norovirus" was going around the Destiny. :eek: We sail May 3rd and that right now is the only thing that has me a little worried. I wasn't sure if you had seen that so i wanted to warn you on that. Hope you have a wonderful trip and can't wait to read your review!!!!!:)

I have seen peoples' suspicions about norovirus, but haven't seen anything conclusive yet. Definitely watchful though. One cruiser said they thought there was norovirus b/c the passengers weren't allowed to serve themselves at the buffet. Another couple of reports from people who knew someone that got sick on board. A few people getting sick doesn't make me think there is an outbreak, but I am happy to see that Carnival takes precautions in the buffet, to be sure anything that's out there doesn't spread.

@David & Rita - I see you have been on the Destiny 5 times and I assume each time was a very good time correct?

It does make me feel A LOT better hearing from people that have been on the ship and have an outlook on life much as we do.

Thanks again already tons guys and gals for all the replies on this and my concerns on this ship.

Yes we cruised on her several times and never had a bad cruise at all. I actually like the ship. If you scroll down to our signature, I have reviews with pictures posted on our website so you can see plenty of pictures of the ship cabin etc. Just follow the link

I have seen peoples' suspicions about norovirus, but haven't seen anything conclusive yet. Definitely watchful though. One cruiser said they thought there was norovirus b/c the passengers weren't allowed to serve themselves at the buffet. Another couple of reports from people who knew someone that got sick on board. A few people getting sick doesn't make me think there is an outbreak, but I am happy to see that Carnival takes precautions in the buffet, to be sure anything that's out there doesn't spread.

I am a nurse and I can tell you there is just as much norovirus on land as there is on cruise ships. You have just as big a chance catching it all the mall.

Chances are you will be exposed to more viruses flying on the plane to get there. Recycled air on an airplane is a lot worse than a cruise ship. It is a run of the mill bug that is all over and just gets alot of press on cruise ships. There are 1000's of people on a cruise ship and how many get sick....a couple of people and chances are they brought it on the ship and were incubating it before they boarded...probably spread to to everyone on the plane.

I too, am a believer that a cruise it what you make of it.. just like life. Some people look for the bad.. just like life.

Some people will always complain....

We loved the Destiny so much we went on her 2x in one year!!

If you have open seating, ask for Andre;), best waiter on any cruise!

P.S. I did like having Noonan as the CD versus the guy they got now... see I can't even remember his name...:confused:

We were booked on the Destiny for August, and ended up switching to Liberty's Eastern Caribbean route to HMC, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. I had figured they would have her dry docked before August to fix the propulsion issues (and they did) but still was unhappy with the ship. I know there are many, many positives that people have reported, but really, for us, it came down to the age of the two ships. Also, I figured if we are taking the time and money to fly to FL, we should take a longer cruise than just 5 days.

Everyone will have an opinion on this matter. To me, it seems you are uneasy and that's not a way to think of your upcoming vacation. That's why we switched and don't regret it at all.

Check out Liberty's itineraries. If you have to save up a little more money, you have time.

Archived