Any chance for a room change???

cruisemama5

My daughter and I are booked on Liberty and we have our room assignment. (We booked through an online service, not Carnival) We are at the front of the ship and my daughter gets carsick every easily. I have heard that the middle of the ship is better. She went on a cruise last year to teh Bahamas and did okay, but we were located in the middle of the ship. She did have to go to bed early evenings as when the ship was moving it did bother her. We did not have any sea days on that cruise. Do you think there is any possibility of a change of rooms? Could I call Carnival and see if there is anything available in our room catagory more to the middle of the ship? I don't care about the type of room (Inside) or if it is an upgrade. But would like a better location to help her out.

I have been on several cruises before, and once we got upgraded when we got to the ship. I don't understand how that works.

Any information you can give is appreciated. THANKS :D

Sounds like you reserved a 'guarantee' room. The cost is cheaper but you do run the risk, as you found out, of getting an undesirable cabin.

If you booked this cabin, the deck plan would have been very helpful.

If it is for your cruise in May I think you are in the penalty period.

You will need to go thru the online TA site that you booked with, Carnival will not speak with you.

My daughter and I are booked on Liberty and we have our room assignment. (We booked through an online service, not Carnival) We are at the front of the ship and my daughter gets carsick every easily. I have heard that the middle of the ship is better. She went on a cruise last year to teh Bahamas and did okay, but we were located in the middle of the ship. She did have to go to bed early evenings as when the ship was moving it did bother her. We did not have any sea days on that cruise. Do you think there is any possibility of a change of rooms? Could I call Carnival and see if there is anything available in our room catagory more to the middle of the ship? I don't care about the type of room (Inside) or if it is an upgrade. But would like a better location to help her out.

I have been on several cruises before, and once we got upgraded when we got to the ship. I don't understand how that works.

If you booked FunSaver or other "Guarantee Booking" where you book a Category (Inside, Oceanview....) and Carnival eventually assigns a Cabin - the strict Policy is that you are not allowed to change that assignment. Naturally there's the occasional exception. If you're before your Final Payment deadline (60 or 70 days from sailaway) you might be able to change your booking to FunSelect, Past guest, 55+, etc., where you select your cabin. You will have to call your TA to see what they can do.

You cannot count on an upgrade before or at sailing - Carnival now does "Upsell Calls" to some, offering a higher category cabin for (maybe) a bargain rate. You can't count on getting one of these calls.

Very occasionally there are reports of a cruiser showing-up at the ship and finding themselves upgraded.

ken

If you were worried about her getting motion sick if you were not in a mid deck cabin, Im unclear why you didnt book it .. you were trying to save money? No more left?

You cant call Carnival if you booked thru a TA, you can only call the TA to change, but be prepared to be quoted whatever the current rate is for picking your cabin. Free upgrades are very very rare now that the Upsell Dept is going.... and you cant call and ask for a upgrade, the upgrade fairy is capricious, she picks, not you.

Just buy her some seabands, she'll be fine. I get horribly car sick, I mean really bad. But cruises don't bother me except in some of the lounges trying to focus on the stage while the ship is moving or focus on a bingo card. I bet she's fine but I wouldnt' risk meds that you have no idea how she'll react to. Seabands work awesome.

I think your chances are slim to none on changing cabins.

So - Concentrate on how to prevent your DD from getting sick. Check on the many items on the market for that purpose. Ask the pharmacist what's best for a child.

BTW, I've had the frontmost cabins on two cruises, am prone to motion sickness, but have never had a problem in those cabins.:)

The middle rooms are a higher catagory and cost more

Steve

Thanks for the help. She has sea bands and will take ginger pills. She doesn't want to try the patch, heard to many side effects she doesn't want to experience. She booked the cruise for us (a present to me for mother's day and birthday that week, as well as her birthday) so I was just wondering if there was a possibility of moving in the same class just another area. Doesn't look like there is, so we will just make the best of it.

Thanks for your help!

Unless you are sailing thru a hurricane, you won't be able to tell the difference what cabin you are in. On 10 cruises I have been on, 56 days at sea, I have felt sick one day. And I am VERY prone to motion sickness. On the one day when I was was feeling bad, I took the chewable Bonine (non-drowsy Dramamine) and felt better in less than 10 minutes.. Less than 10 minutes.. Don't sweat it.

Hey Cruisemama, I personally love one particular big online agency, I am constantly scanning the boards to see if there are any onboard credit specials or price changes on what I booked.

If I find a special or lower price I call and say "hey I'm booked on this cruise and I see there is such and such on special, will I be eligible for this?" At times I've gotten the OBC, another time she said "oh unfortunately I can't combine the special you have and the other one, but I can give you a good upgrade for pretty good price.

Last time we got from a 8b or c to a 9a for 60 bucks each on a 8 day cruise!!!!

So keep scanning the prices and CALL, they will help you out if they can.

Good luck and let us know if you get any good deals.

Cheers, Carole

I agree with kyrisong. Keep an eye out and keep calling your TA. You never know what may happen. I doubt that there will be any automatic upgrade, because it looks like your cruise has been selling. I guess the nuclear option would be to cancel, take the penalty, and rebook under the past guest rate, as there are 4Gs available at $529 (right now) in the middle of the ship on Deck 8. The penalty is probably pretty steep though. Just look up all the different advice given for seasickness. I even hear that Pepsi helps. Every little thing helps. You've got a great itinerary, especially with the extended time in Cozumel. Enjoy your cruise!

We had cabins in the forward of the ship this last cruise. I definitely felt the motion. I don't generally get seasick, but like your daughter I do go to bed very early on a ship. The motion just rocks me to sleep. Since we had cabins in the front of the ship, I did bring along lots of bags of ginger tea, but never needed to open a single one. Do you think that some of this is possibly in her head? You know, she knows she gets motion sickness so she "knows" in her mind that she feels the movement? I have a feeling some of my awareness was psychosomatic. As a pp stated, the bonine is supposed to work very, very well. I understand they hand it out at the purser's desk, or she can grab some from walgreens and bring it on board.

Do you think that some of this is possibly in her head? You know, she knows she gets motion sickness so she "knows" in her mind that she feels the movement? I have a feeling some of my awareness was psychosomatic.

Yes, I agree. I think she is going "knowing" she will be sick. I am going to do my best to tell her that this is a bigger ship than she was on before, so she shouldn't feel it. Will tell her about all the people here who have said they don't get sick on ships, espcially taking precautions. Also, will be taking everything I can think of that is preventative. Hopefully, it will work.

Archived