Luau in Honolulu

BPCruiser

Need Imput from Past Island Princess Cruisers:confused:

We would like to book the evening Luau at Germaine's (good reviews on the CC Board), We get back from our Pearl Harbor Tour at 1:30P. Germaines shuttle will pick us up at the Ala Moana Hotel at 4:45P, bring us to the Luau and then supposedly get us back to the Ala Moana Hotel by 9:30-9:45P and then we can take a quick taxi ( 10-15 min. ride?) back to the ship to Re-board by 10:30P. Ship departs the Aloha Tower Pier @ 11P. Is this time frame workable or is this cutting it too close?? Have any other Island Princess Passangers on recent cruises takes this evening Luau to Germaine's and encountered any problems getting back to the ship in time?? Please help!! I certainly don't want to miss the ship.....:eek: We unfortunately do not get back from our Pearl Harbor Tour in time to also do the PCC Luau via Princess, otherwise we would. Germaine's looked like our next best option.

Please reply as soon as possible. We depart on 3/5/05 Thanks so much!!!!

I was told to steer clear of Germaines because they are right next to the dump! I have also read a few posts about raw chicken etc at Germaines. We are on the Island Princess in October and are planning on attending the Royal Hawaiin Hotel's Luau.

I really admire your energy. To "do" Pearl Harbor, a luau and board ship all in the same day. WOW! Germaines, Paradise Cove and Polynesian Cultural Center Luaus are all wonderful but waaaaay out of town and not close to the pier. IMHO it would be cutting it too close. The luau reservationists are apt to tell you what they think you want to hear. Honolulu is the 13th largest city in the US with all the same traffic problems and very few, if any, alternate routes. Much of the road repairs are done in the evening. Every time there is a fatal traffic acccident, HPD shuts down the entire road/freeway in the vicinity of the accident. You haven't seen gridlock til you witness that.

Don't know what your ship's itinerary is but if you overnight on Maui or Kaua`i, they both have good luaus also. Or start a day earlier.......

Just Hang Loose !

I was told to steer clear of Germaines because they are right next to the dump! I have also read a few posts about raw chicken etc at Germaines. We are on the Island Princess in October and are planning on attending the Royal Hawaiin Hotel's Luau.

Hi BobbyD,

Thanks for the input. I have heard good things about the Royal Hawaiin's Luau also but that it was only held on Monday nights and our Port Day in Honolulu is a Saturday. Do you know if they have it on Saturday's?? I have not seen any reviews about raw chicken at Germain's or it being located near a Dump, I actually read reviews where it was supposedly better then the Paradise Cove Luau. But there is still the big lingering issue of making it back to the ship in time. I am so hoping that someone who has been on the IP recently that may have attended the Luau @ Germaine's writes in and can confirm something about the transporting time issues. Thanks for the feed back. If anyone has attended the Germaine's Luau recently and been on the IP, please write and comment about your experience. Thanks so much!!!

I really admire your energy. To "do" Pearl Harbor, a luau and board ship all in the same day. WOW! Germaines, Paradise Cove and Polynesian Cultural Center Luaus are all wonderful but waaaaay out of town and not close to the pier. IMHO it would be cutting it too close. The luau reservationists are apt to tell you what they think you want to hear. Honolulu is the 13th largest city in the US with all the same traffic problems and very few, if any, alternate routes. Much of the road repairs are done in the evening. Every time there is a fatal traffic acccident, HPD shuts down the entire road/freeway in the vicinity of the accident. You haven't seen gridlock til you witness that.

Don't know what your ship's itinerary is but if you overnight on Maui or Kaua`i, they both have good luaus also. Or start a day earlier.......

Just Hang Loose !

HI Kelii,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately we do not have any overnights at any of the ports while on the Island Princess. Our Port day in Honolulu is our only long day, from 8A-11P. However, we need to be back on the ship by 10:30pm. The Luau at the PCC did not have times that seemed to work out and we did not hear very good reviews on the CC Boards about the Paradise Cove Luau, most comments made were that Germain's was a more authentic Luau, the food was better and they offered transportation, at least to and from the Ala Moana Hotel. We were told this was only a short Taxi ride to the Aloha Tower Port where our ship is docked. We so hoped to attend a Luau this day while in Honolulu, but I obviously need to be sure about the return times to the City so as not to miss our re-boarding time. I really need some feedback from others who have attended Germain's Luau regarding what time they got back to the City.

Sounds like you are determined to do the Germaine Luau. Kelii has raised some valid points about the traffic and limited "alternative routes."

I would suggest renting a car, do the Pearl Harbor tour on your time, go to Germaine's and then you could leave the Luau when you felt comfortable. It doesn't address the "possible" traffic issues, but it eliminates waiting for the shuttle to leave and the multiple drop-off points...

Otherwise, look into a luau on one of the other islands the Island Princess visits, or come a day earlier or stay a day later...

Kelii words are wise....enjoy, Hawaii is too beautiful to be in a rush... :D

BPCruiser - I have friends that are locals in Honolulu/Waikiki and they are the ones that told me to steer clear of Germains. They also told me to steer clear of Luaus all together but they are locals and dont understand how crazy tourists like us just have to "do it once"! LOL :)

The Royal Hawaiin only has their luau on Monday night and our cruise on the Island Princess makes port on a Monday in October this year. So we are going to the Royal Hawaiin. Because I travel to Oaho so many times a year I can totally vouch for the traffic problems that they experience!! We too are stressed that we got so much planned to do while we are there but the time constraints are murder!

Bambam - i agree!! hawaii is too beautiful to rush it!! Slow down and enjoy!

In November we made use of an online coupon for the Royal Hawaiian Luau for a 20% discount. Don't know if they still have it, but it was definitely worthwhile as is saved us about $30.

Just checked and here is the link

http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/de_luauminet.htm

Price was only $80 pp when we went in Nov, so looks like they raised the rates. Just reread that and it looks like the discount may be for Starwood guests only??

I should have read more thoroughly, found the coupon, but it expires in March.

http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/specials/coupon.htm

True Spleen...as from another local (wink ;) )....and as for the traffic, while I have been over your way only several times in the evening, I have never seen heavy traffic at that hour coming from Ewa to Honolulu.....but going TO the Luau at 4-5 would be the issue....I believe. Am I correct?

At 4-5 pm on a weekday, there'll be 2 slow down points - one going through town and easing up past the Pali Highway on H1 and the other at the merge between H1 and Moanalua Freeway. Coming from Waikiki, you should look at 1-2 hour transit time to get to the luau at that time. Driving time back at 9-10 pm should be around 45 minutes or so assuming no accidents or road work that slows down traffic.

On a weekend, there will be similar slow downs on Saturday around 4-5 pm though not as bad - look for around an hour to an hour and a half instead in getting to the luau.

Spleen

Many Thanks to all that have written in with their recommendations regarding Germaine's Luau. Yes, we were really hoping to make a Luau while in Honolulu since that was our only long Port stay during the entire cruise. This is our 1st trip to Hawaii so we are trying to "experience" so much in a short amt. of time. With this particular cruise there are no pre or post cruise nights on the islands to afford us the opportunity to catch an authentic Hawaii Luau elsewhere, as we are sailing to and from L.A.

The big question was not the time frame of getting to the Luau in time as that is Germaine's responsibility to pick us up in sufficient time(transportation is included in the price of the Luau). It was strictly the concern of making it back to the city in time to make our ship re-boarding for 10:30P after the Luau ended at 9P ?? But after all the helpful comments I don't think it is worth worrying about. WE probably would not enjoy ourselves as much with the concern of Saturday night traffic and the potential of running late with the shuttle drop off time back at the Ala Moana Hotel. Certainly not worth chancing to miss our ships port departure. I guess the Luau will have to wait until we can hopefully return to Hawaii at a later date and I am sure we will;)

Thanks Again Everybody!!

Brenda:)

I think you will be having so much fun experiencing everything Hawai'i has to offer that you'll barely miss the luau anyway. For us, luau just isn't the be-all and end-all of visiting the islands. (To be honest, I've never been to one and don't feel I've missed a thing.) For a truly Hawai'ian experience, ask some of the locals on the board for reccommendations of activities and places to visit.

You will have a wonderful time and I predict you will definitely want to return for another visit.

Aloha.

beachchick

We did Germaine's during our precruise a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. We also did it on the same day as Pearl Harbor. The luau was over by 9P and we were back in Waikiki by 9:45P at the latest. We went on New Year's Eve (Friday night), and while Waikiki was busy, we didn't experience any traffic. With that said, I probably wouldn't cut it that close, but I'm one who likes to get to the ship as early as possible and enjoy it as much as I can!

If you're interested on my review of Germaine's, check out Day Two of my review--the third post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=128465

What time do you have to be back to do the luau through Princess? Are you doing Pearl Harbor on your own? If you are one of the first in line, you could be done with Pearl Harbor by 10A and back to Waikiki by 10:30A. We were with boarding group six, saw the visitor's center before the 9:30A movie and ferry, and were done by 10:15A.

We did Germaine's during our precruise a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. We also did it on the same day as Pearl Harbor. The luau was over by 9P and we were back in Waikiki by 9:45P at the latest. We went on New Year's Eve (Friday night), and while Waikiki was busy, we didn't experience any traffic. With that said, I probably wouldn't cut it that close, but I'm one who likes to get to the ship as early as possible and enjoy it as much as I can!

If you're interested on my review of Germaine's, check out Day Two of my review--the third post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=128465

What time do you have to be back to do the luau through Princess? Are you doing Pearl Harbor on your own? If you are one of the first in line, you could be done with Pearl Harbor by 10A and back to Waikiki by 10:30A. We were with boarding group six, saw the visitor's center before the 9:30A movie and ferry, and were done by 10:15A.

Thanks for the Feedback! We don't get into port at the Aloha Tower until approx. 8am and we are on the Arizona Memorial/Mighty Mo Ship Tour until 1:30P. The Princess Tour for the Polynesian Cultural center Luau sets out at 12Noon and returns at 10:30PM which is the time we have to be back on the ship by. The ship leaves port at 11P.

Germaine's said they would pick us up and drop us off at the Ala Moana Hotel and we would then have to taxi back to the Aloha Tower Pier. Alot of the drop off time frame depends on where the Ala Moana Hotel would be on the return schedule as far as drop off when back in Wakikki. I think it is just not allowing any room for marginal delays, unexpected traffic, road accident etc. When you are on a ship excursion the ship waits for you. When you are on your own independent excursion, it will not! I don't think the worry is worth it unfortunately. Hopefully next trip! Thanks for your information, much appreciated!!!

When you are on your own independent excursion, it will not! I don't think the worry is worth it unfortunately. Hopefully next trip! Thanks for your information, much appreciated!!!

I completely understand BPCruiser. I only booked independent tours when I had plenty of wiggle room on our cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I am bumping this back up to see if any recent Island Princess cruisers were able to do either Germaine's or Paradise Cove and make it back in time.

We REALLY want to get a luau in while on Oahu, but DH really wants to do Pearl Harbor, which won't get us back in time for the PCC excursion.

Aloha BPCruiser,

Happened to work a midnight shift tonight and as I entered the H1 Freeway from Ewa Beach at 9:45PM, two buses from one of the luaus were heading for Honolulu. That would put them into Waikiki between 10:00 and 10:15PM. Don't know if these buses were stragglers or in the lead, but it leads me to my original conclusion that it would make for an awfully tight sail away.

Back in '01 we did a pre cruise stay at HHV and went to Paradise Cove one nite. We were very disappointed in the quality and quantity of the food considering the price. The time agenda was similar to what you stated and we didn't get back to HHV until ll:00. We resented being stuck there from 4 until almost midnight. I would never do it again. HHV had a buffet dinner at the Rainbow tower with "luau type" food that was far superior and cheaper than Paradise. They had free Hawaiian dancers around the pool and after it was over we enjoyed a drink in one of the lounges with a great Hawaiian band. Check it out. It will be a more memorable evening than 7 hours stuck in a remote luau where they push watered down drinks plus other tourist items.

John L.

I really do appreciate all of the input. Talked with DH the other night.. this will be a very long vacation for us and I don't want to stress while on these beautiful islands. We have decided to save Pearl Harbor for another visit. We will take the ships excursion to PCC which included the luau and if we are back late, then the ship will have to wait. That takes a huge load off of my mind!

Thanks again!

Tina

Archived