Marmaris

We will be in Marmaris for a day on the Spirit.

Has anyone any recommendations of trips to do from Marmaris please? We have been on holiday many times to Turkey before (but not that area)so have experienced the culture, Turkish Baths, the food and the people. We don't want to just wander around Marmaris itself - woud be interested to hear of any good trips that others may have done? The ones that Thomson have on offer that look interesting for us & 10 yr & 13 yr old are the Jeep Adventure, Cleopatra's Island, Chiil out Cruise or Truck Safari.

It will be nice to get a small taster of another part of Turkey so any recomendations would be gratefully received! Thanks

We will be in Marmaris for a day on the Spirit.

Has anyone any recommendations of trips to do from Marmaris please? We have been on holiday many times to Turkey before (but not that area)so have experienced the culture, Turkish Baths, the food and the people. We don't want to just wander around Marmaris itself - woud be interested to hear of any good trips that others may have done? The ones that Thomson have on offer that look interesting for us & 10 yr & 13 yr old are the Jeep Adventure, Cleopatra's Island, Chiil out Cruise or Truck Safari.

It will be nice to get a small taster of another part of Turkey so any recomendations would be gratefully received! Thanks

When do you go? We go early in the season and we do just tend to wander in ports which are new to us (if they look half-way promising!) so we'll probably not take a trip. But I'll try to find out from others any trips they've done and how they found them (main topic of conversation at mealtimes!! :D) Also I will try to feed back any trips you could pick up quay-side or attractions in the area. As long as you go after we've got back I'll do my best to find out what I can and report back.

When do you go? We go early in the season and we do just tend to wander in ports which are new to us (if they look half-way promising!) so we'll probably not take a trip. But I'll try to find out from others any trips they've done and how they found them (main topic of conversation at mealtimes!! :D) Also I will try to feed back any trips you could pick up quay-side or attractions in the area. As long as you go after we've got back I'll do my best to find out what I can and report back.

Hi Kruzseeker

Are you going before us? I hope so:) we go on the 31st May and we are in Marmaris for a full day as we are doing a back to back cruise so it would be good to have all your useful info before we go:)

Mary

Hi Kruzseeker

Are you going before us? I hope so:) we go on the 31st May and we are in Marmaris for a full day as we are doing a back to back cruise so it would be good to have all your useful info before we go:)

Mary

Hi Mary, :)

Yes we will be back before you go - but which itinerary are you on? We go to Marmaris for one day on the Adriatic/Aegean trip on Spirit hence my offer of info on Marmaris after our visit. It sounds as though you're on the Celebration itineraries sailing out of Marmaris - I'll not be of any help - in fact I'll be looking to you for info on the other ports of call as they look like great itineraries which we'd love to do!! Sooner rather than later too! :D

Hi Mary, :)

Yes we will be back before you go - but which itinerary are you on? We go to Marmaris for one day on the Adriatic/Aegean trip on Spirit hence my offer of info on Marmaris after our visit. It sounds as though you're on the Celebration itineraries sailing out of Marmaris - I'll not be of any help - in fact I'll be looking to you for info on the other ports of call as they look like great itineraries which we'd love to do!! Sooner rather than later too! :D

Hi Kruzseeker

Yes we are doing out of Marmaris on the Celebration the Aegean Discovery/Ottoman Treasures. Even if your only in Marmaris for one day I am sure it will be of help:) We looked at the one your doing cos we love the Spirit but had such a great time on the Celebration last year (same time as you) decided on this one. Hope to do the Adriatic next year. We have done land based hols in Croatia and Slovenia and they are beautiful countries and very clean. Saying that don't really know what to do next year want to go back on the Spirit but also want to try the Dream. Have to save pennies and do a week on both.:D Hurry up new brochure.

Mary

We are not going until August but I am gathering lots of information for now - gives you lots to look forward to. Will be good to hear of your hints & tips please on Marmaris and any other places you visit! We are doing the 2 week cruise from Corfu on Spirit.

We are not going until August but I am gathering lots of information for now - gives you lots to look forward to. Will be good to hear of your hints & tips please on Marmaris and any other places you visit! We are doing the 2 week cruise from Corfu on Spirit.

That's the same itinerary we're doing in May so hopefully I'll be able to let you have some info and answer any specific questions you may have, jules. :)

Hi Kruzseeker

We looked at the one your doing cos we love the Spirit but had such a great time on the Celebration last year (same time as you)

Mary

What??:eek: I missed that - do you mean we missed a chance of sampling a few cocktails together?? What a pity - I would have liked to say 'Hello'. Perhaps another time. :)

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing the new brochure - don't think I've ever been waiting with such anticipation!!! Like you I'd love to try the Dream but would also like to see a return to the UK. Apart from weather considerations (although we've always been lucky!) Norway and the Baltics

are fab destinations and I'd love to go to Iceland. Fingers crossed it will be in the new season's sailings - although I'm not too optimistic.

Kruzseeker - I have seen a couple of postings from last year; not seen too many, would be lovely if you could post the links, thanks - are you doing 1 or 2 weeks? Look forward to hearing all from you after May!

Hello Cruiser OV. Yes, it is the 13th August we are going! My daughter is 13, my son is 10. Have you been on the Spirit before?

Jules

Hello again Cruiser OV

I just noticed you went on a Med cruise last year in August - was it incredibly hot? We have not been to a hot destination at that time of year before! This is our only real worry; if we can all cope with the constant heat!! We have managed heatwaves in Turkey (40 degs) but used to sit in the sea all day to keep cool!!

I have stopped in Marmaris before, we went to the large bazaar and also did a full day lazy cruise - the boat had a full top deck of about 30 sunbeds and a lower deck with seats, food and drink - we sailed out to some lovely waters where we could swim or even jump off the top if the boat into the water

We're on a 2w b2b in June on the Celebration and we are intending to shop this time and also go to one of the beach areas and let them wait on us hand and foot as they do it for free - or a small tip

Kruzseeker - I have seen a couple of postings from last year; not seen too many, would be lovely if you could post the links, thanks - are you doing 1 or 2 weeks? Look forward to hearing all from you after May!

Hello Cruiser OV. Yes, it is the 13th August we are going! My daughter is 13, my son is 10. Have you been on the Spirit before?

Jules

Hi Jules,

Yes we are doing the b2b - did it last year - it's a stunning itinerary. (Although this time three ports of call are different.)

I don't know whether you have seen these particular threads - they are a bit long but if you read through you will find quite a lot of posts with information about both itineraries, the ports of call plus some experiences of ship's trips and DIY options. I've put the number (#) of the posts in each thread which probably have the most useful info to save you reading the whole lot! (I've got no idea why in the Pearls of the Aegean thread certain words are highlighted in red - it's quite frustrating when reading it but I can't seem to eliminate it!! :confused:)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com...rls+the+aegean #1

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com...iatic+explorer #1 #6 #7 #15

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1050738&highlight=pearls+the+aegean Posts #1 and #4 (#4 is scans of Thomson port info)

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with this trip - if you have any specific questions, just ask, I'll help if I can. :)

Hi Jules,

We did Western Med last year on OV1. The weather was good but I am anticipating it to be hotter this year !

This is our first cruise with Thomson but i have been very impressed with the reviews. The itinerary is superb and we plan to do more trips this year.

Let me know if your daughter wants to swap E mails/Facebook etc with mine ! She actually met someone from this Forum last year on OV1 and they became good friends on the cruise.

Kruzseeker - thanks for all those reviews: have printed them all off!

Tiggertastic - that lazy day cruise sounds good & hopefully not too hot with a sea breeze!

CruiserOV - we went on the Celebration last year - couldn't fault it so hope the Spirit is as good. Will have a word with my daughter about "chatting" with yours - she is on Facebook!

Archived