Pharoahs and the Promised Land Ports of Call

Hello

Can anyone tell me what you can do in the ports of call, Alanya, Alexandria, Port Said, Ashdod and Haifa, if you do not take an excursion.

For example, is it possible to walk from the ship into the towns where the ship is docked, and find an area for strolling and sitting, find a cafe bar and to watch the world go by?

Many thanks,

Ann.

Alanya you can certainly do that.... straight off the ship onto the jetty and keep walking !! Alexandria there are a row of stalls selling souvenirs just outside the terminal which is a nice experience but you will get good humoured hassle!!! Port Said I'm not sure as we went to Cairo....but there was a long street of shops not far from the port but I don't know how easy it was to get there and what there was there exactly!!! Ashdod - we didn't leave the ship as we had a long day the previous day - but it was a large industrial port. Haifa - we did a trip, but the port is more or less adjacent to the town - probably walkable but I don't know anyone who did this.... I think this itinerary is a bit like the Red Sea itinerary where most of the ports are merely the gateway to more exciting things...apart from Alanya which is more like a typical Mediterranean port.

Hope this helps a bit

We did our own thing on this cruise. Alexandria was O.K. to wander around for a while. Port Said was about the same. We did not get off at Ashdod. We found Haifa to be a lovely city to do on your own. Just inside the port building we found a very nice man from the tourist office who was great for information and maps. Hope this helps.

Hi I did this cruise 2 weeks ago it was a 10 minutewalk from the ship into Alanya town where there were plenty of shops cafes etc to visit.In Alexandria it took me about 15 mins walk into the town where again there was a good selection of shops and cafes ,I als walked to the Corniche where you could sit and watch the world go by.At Port Said there were a lot of souvenir stalls set up as soon as you got off the ship however if you walked outside there were numerous taxis available to take you intothe town or even to view the Suez Canal.I went to the town and I think it cost about 30 EGP I found a fab bazaar there dont go too early as the shops didnt open much before 10-10 30am I also got a taxi back as it was a fair walk.I did the excursion to Jerusalem which was very good however there is a bus going from Ashdod to Jerusalem and takes an hour if you want to do it yourself however as the area can be a bit volatile on times I would advise to take the excursion.I also took the excursion from Haifa to Nazareth but spoke to some people who visites Haifa and had a fab time there. Whatever you do I am sure you will have a brilliant time I could not fault a thing enjoy x

Archived