clothes for alaska

cruisemama69

I know we need to dress in layers but what I'd like is first hand experience with how the weather was on your Alaskan cruise. Of course, we will be watching the weather forecast for up there before we leave, but I've had people tell me everything from they never used a coat, to its unbelievable cold.

we are cruising June 22 on the Spirit. We'll bring rain jackets, good walking shoes, but do we need a heavy coat, gloves, hats?

also on formal nights, do most people get very dressed up?

Is there any point in bringing shorts?

thanks for all the help. :)

but I've had people tell me everything from they never used a coat, to its unbelievable cold.

. :)

I fly up to SE Alaska for work occasionally. The weather can change hourly, so what these people have told you is correct. Have to be ready for anything weather wise.

Have a great time!

We sailed on the Spirit in July 2007.

They were have a "heat wave" Temps were in the 70's! Alaskans were running around in flip flops and shorts LOL

We never put on shorts and carried a jacket with us all the time. I have a photo taken onboard at the College fjords wearing gloves:eek:

We dressed for formal night but noticed in general, things were very casual and low keyed. They had the Vegas type shows scheduled for before our late dinner seating instead of after, unusual, but most excursions were early.

We saw very little late night activity and most of the bars had very few people in them in the evening.

We enjoyed this cruise very much and look forward to going back again again.:D

I sailed to alaska may/june 2007 on the ncl star on a different itenerary than what the spirit will be doing..... the states were having a pretty bad heat wave, while up in alaska it was extremely comfortable. I wore dockers and light shirts all week. I dont remember seeing any rain all week. the only time I was cold and underdressed was when we were parked viewing the glacier and I was out on deck. but with all that ice around and the wind blowing, it was like natures refrigerator..

We did Alaska last July and had fabulous weather (to the point that everywhere we went the locals commented on how lucky we were!) It was warm by their standards but we live in Florida so when the locals complained about the "heatwave" we chuckled! We brought zip-off pants so could start in pants and convert to shorts but also wore our fleeces and wind jackets. Some excursions were really cold and in Glacier Bay (we were on HAL) we had on hats, gloves, sweatshirts and every warm thing we brought. We also sat on our balcony with full warm clothing and wool blankets and it was spectacular. Bring it all-you never know what you will need! We even used our bathing suits for the hot tubs. Enjoy!

I went in 2004 on HAL but did a cruisetour so we traveled across the land for 10 days before we got on the ship. Layers,,layers..layers. Some days it was warm , some days it was freezing, especially when you get near glaciers (like in Glacier Bay). You know that saying I heard in Texas once about "if you don't like the weather, hang around for an hour"?. Same goes for Alaska. Drizzle, rain ,sunshine. I would san the shorts though. Can comment on elegnat night dress becsaue I was on HAL and we did have formal nights and everyone was dressed in their suits and tuxes.

We went in 2007 & 2008 at the end of June. In 2007 we were wearing capris & T's and in 2008 it was in the low 40's and raining.

The trick for Alaska is to layer and be prepared.

Bring gloves and a hat because it will be cold on the water when you are viewing the glacier.

Makes little difference what other's have experienced only what you will experience the specific days you are there and by the way, ignor those weather forcast ahead of time. Just because there is rain in the forecast does not always mean it will be raining every minute of your trip.

Yes, you will want gloves and a hat for at least anytime you are near the glaciers. If you've taken a lined rain coat and sweaters you can layer and likely not miss not taking a heavy winter coat with you. If you really like wearing shorts take a pair but if they are worn or not will depend on your particular weather. Sometimes you will be glad that you took them and other times they may never be worn. I did wear my capri's often while on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is absolutely beautiful!:)

I did this last year about the same time frame the glacier view was cold and needed coat and gloves or raincoat that has flannel or fleace lining will do the only place it rained was in ketican which was a very fine mist rain so a poncho or unbreall was good. we took our gloves and heavy jacket due to we were doing the dog sled on the glacier. Clothing was mixed jeans shorts if you are hot natured you should be good i had capris & jeans as for the formal its really only time to get all dolled up so go for it.:)

We live in South Central Alaska thanks to the military. Our first summer here, it rained the whole month of July. We had exactly 2 days that were above 70 (71 and 70 respectively) for the whole SUMMER. June can be highs in the 50's and lows in the 40's. Last summer, we were warm-- had quite a few days in the 70's in June.

It was a big shock for us coming from Florida. If you think you'll be cold, pack jackets, those cheap stretchy gloves (you'll be thankful for them), and something for your ears (headbands or hats work equally fine). We keep those cheap gloves in our jacket pockets and in our cars--- you'd be surprised sitting at a baseball game how COLD it can get.

Not sure if this helps you, but we've been COLD..... but make sure you bring your camera because it is beautiful up here. And make sure you pack some binoculars to see the wildlife. Not sure if the cruise lines provide that or not, but the guides will say "look for the golfballs" and those are the white heads of bald eagles. Pretty neat to see. We paid $30 each for them in Seward when we were on a SeaLife Cruise. They have to be cheaper at home.

Shawn in AK

We did the Alaska cruise last September. Last year was unusually warm into the fall. We actually wore capris on the ship inside. Layer your clothes the best you can. Fleece worked the best for us. We bought water-proof, not water-resistant, jackets with hoods.We got them at a ProBass store. They got a lot of use and kept us dry. You want "breathable" jackets so you don't sweat. By the glaciers we wore gloves, hats-be sure your ears are covered due to the wind, and several layers of clothing outside. Also, you want to waterproof your shoes. We had some spray and put it on our shoes before we left for the cruise. It depends what you pick for your excursions as to how heavy a coat you want to take along. We really liked the fleece-it was lightweight, but kept us really warm. Have a great time!!!!

Archived