Bearing Sea Crab Fishermans Tour

CHARGERFAN83

I booked it direct to save money on 7/22/2010. Talked to the folks that run it and they are super nice. I don't know if I am allowed to post links, so go to Google and type "Bearing Sea Crab Fishersman Tour". They have a super cool website! Looks like an awesome time! I can't wait!

BTW, Trip Advisor consistently get consistent great reviews for this tour.

I didn't go, but my husband did it last summer with our 6yo. She is still talking about it. She was allowed to touch a baby octopus as well as handle crabs. She loved all the eagles swooping in for the feeding. Both of them really enjoyed it and would go again in a heartbeat.

My husband and I did it last year and really liked it. The people are really into it and you can tell they enjoy sharing information with the tourists. We thought it was a bit expensive though so wouldn't necessarily go again. We booked directly too, but it was about the same price as through the cruise line. Have fun!

We did it and LOVED it!!:D We got to hold/touch crab and prawns and I touched an octopus. It was very interesting and educational - NOT and easy job!! That is why they call it Deadliest Catch.

We both love "Deadliest Catch" and can't wait for the new season to start! It will be sad tho not to see Capt. Phil.......

We are booked on this tour as well.The Deadliest Catch 2010 season begins April 13.My DH loves the show and I watch with him as well.Can't wait to pet an Octopus and looking forward to seeing Eagles up close and whatever wildlife we get to see will be a bonus.

This tour has gotten really good reviews

For those that have done this tour:

Is it true that they are just pulling up the same pots with the same crab/octopus over and over again each trip? I saw a post on another website that said after the pot of live animals is hauled on the deck of the boat, they put the live ones back in the pot for the next group of tourists. The dead ones get thrown to the eagles.

Guess it makes things more exciting than watching the crew pull up empty pots, but I just want to know what to expect.

Wow, didn't realize young kids could do this excursion. We are going in May with my 6 year old son. Were there other young children?

I wasn't there, but my daughter's 2-7yo & her 8yo cousins were all there.

I would guess that they are pulling up the same critters as they don't really say anything like, "let's see what we caught." This allows them to show you a variety of things that they know are in there. They take you to a certain area by an island where they are allowed to have the pots.

Is it true that they are just pulling up the same pots with the same crab/octopus over and over again each trip? I saw a post on another website that said after the pot of live animals is hauled on the deck of the boat, they put the live ones back in the pot for the next group of tourists. The dead ones get thrown to the eagles.

Guess it makes things more exciting than watching the crew pull up empty pots, but I just want to know what to expect.

I f you ever watched the show you are aware that Crab Fishing is done in the Bering Sea in the Frigid winter.I plan to just sit back and use my imagination.Surely wouldn't want to be on the real boat in that awful conditions.

Our experience was that they "re-used" the catch -- putting them back in the pots for the next tour. And the octopus went back in his trap too :( Did not see any that were dead. I wasn't wild about this tour for a number of reasons, but I'm in the very very very VERY small minority :)

Our experience was that they "re-used" the catch -- putting them back in the pots for the next tour. And the octopus went back in his trap too :( Did not see any that were dead. I wasn't wild about this tour for a number of reasons, but I'm in the very very very VERY small minority :)

I would love to hear the number of reasons. We are considering this tour, but I also have a number of reasons for hesitation, including the cost and the possibility of motion sickness in one of our party.

I would love to hear the number of reasons. We are considering this tour, but I also have a number of reasons for hesitation, including the cost and the possibility of motion sickness in one of our party.

Oh I am SO not opening up THAT can of worms again :) If you use the search function and search "Aleutian Ballad" and my user name, there's about a 6 page thread -- read that thread, it has my review, and some pretty colorful reviews of me personally :)

We got it at a shoulder season rate of $99/person, so the cost wasn't too bad. The day we went was pretty darn rough which is completely outside the control of the tour operators. (The cruise ship that was supposed to dock AFTER our cruise ship in Ketchikan was kept out at sea, we had a GALE that night.) I'm not sensitive to motion, but I suspect if you ARE, this tour would have been a tough ride for at least PART of the trip. But that is NOT anything that can be controlled -- unless you want to risk trying to book at the dock (not even sure if that's possible any longer).

The boat has 3 bathrooms onboard, and a galley where you can grab coffee or hot chocolate, and warm up if it is especially chilly.

Please don't bump that other thread :) -- if you have specific questions, I'll check back in THIS thread.

I always take my seasickness medication especially when going on any small boat and Tendering.The most exciting part of the tour is using your imagination to pretend you are out Crab Fishing.Sounds like CowPrincess experienced a little bit of what it is really like to be a Crab Fisherman.

As a fan of the Deadliest Catch, I was contemplating this tour also, until I looked into the negatives. First off, It would cost my family of 4, half a grand. I saw that they are just pulling up the same pots with the same crabs/octopus over and over again each time and they put the them back in the pot for the next group of tourists. Not exactly sure why it's called the Bearing Sea Tour,when they're no where near the Bearing Sea. And hasn't everyone done a touch tank at an aquarium? It gets great reviews though. I hope the town is nice, because we're really not interested in totem poles and lumberjacks either.

Ketchikan is very walkable. At the Visitors Center you can get a walking tour map. My personal preference is the Totem Heritage Center, which rescues old totem poles from the forests and abandoned villages and conserves them. You can feel the spirits. Well, I could, anyway :)

Archived