POESIA Review 03.20.2010 Day 2 WARNING! This is probably going to be really long

vijoge

Day 2 we woke up about 6:30, which is actually late for us as we normlly rise about 4:30.

I had read that the vibration at the back of this ship was significant, ranging from annoying to intolerable. I found it to be neither. There is some vibration but to me it is more soothing than anything and it didn't seem to be noisy or bothersome in any way. This has been my experience on other ships as well. My husband thought it was a little more noticeable on the Poesia, however, but he did not find it unpleasant in any way.

Our bed was the typical two singles pushed together to make a queen/king (I can't say which it was but it was roomy). Not the most comfortable, though. On other lines we have had thinner but more comfortable bedding. This appeared to be regular mattress but I didn't bother to check to see what brand it was or anything. Pillows were fiberfill. One interesting point regarding the room-there is a small box on the wall near the door into which you must insert your room key when you are in the room. This serves two functions-it lets the room steward know when the room is occupied and it allows the cabin lights to work. No key-no lights. . .but your room steward will explain how it works on his/her first visit.

I had brought my laptop, fully intending to pay for high priced in-cabin internet, but when I plugged it in nothing happened and I couldn't access the MSC log-in screen. I called the reception desk and was told I needed one of their cables, for which I needed to pay a $15 deposit which would be returned when I brought back the cable. I wasn't sure what the difference was between my cable and the one they had but I went and got one anyway. Unfortunately that cable didn't work either. I called back to reception and was told they were having trouble with their internet and I should try later.

The first morning aboard we went up to the Villa Pompeiana Cafeteria for coffee just before sunrise and then ate breakfst after the girls woke up an hour or two later. We ended up following this pattern daily. I thought the coffee was very good. There is also tea and several fruit juices available.

The girls spent a good part of the day in the kids club. The first day it was open from 10A-12P, 2P-4P, and 6P-10P. They didn't go to the evening session because they wanted to see the Letterman show and eat in the dining room with their new friends. Plus, this was the first formal night and they had new fancy dresses! It was a tough decision for them becuse they were really having good time with Matteo and crew.

This was the night of the Captain's Welcome Party we headed to the Zebra Bar and the Bar dei Poeti for a glass of Champagne (for me) and a Martini and a Manhattan (for my husband). They had Shirley Temples for the kids and anyone who didn't want alcohol. I noticed a lot of adults drinking those. There was live music and a number of couples were dancing, some of whom were very good. The Captain made a speech in the theater, as is usually done on these occassions, and introduced all the officers. Then off to the Lettermen Concert.

We all, and I think I speak for everyone present, loved the Lettermen. I actually saw a woman in tears-she was that overwhelmed. A lot of us old fogeys felt 17 again! They invited people to come up on stage for pictures and promised they would stay after the show until everyone who wanted photos or autographs were accommodated.

My husband usually takes his tux when we cruise but when he tried it on last week he discovered it's now way too large! Not a bad surprise, but no time to get it altered and not interested in buying a new one so he just took a black suit. This proved to be fine. There were a number of men in tuxes, a few in white dinner jackets, looking really sharp!, and many in dark suits. There were also quite large number wearing a dress shirt and tie. I didn't see anyone looking really casual but I'm sure there were and I just didn't notice. A good number of women were in long gowns, short cocktail dresses, and pantsuits, but a lot also just wore more casual dresses, etc. I know a lot of people obcess over what to wear on formal night but it isn't necessary. Wear what you have, what you like, and what you feel comfortable in and you'll be fine on this ship.

Upon returning to our cabin, the girls decided they were hungry. I don't think they really were-they just wanted to order room service because they had had the brownies the night before and enjoyed them. The menu lists a brownie with vanilla sauce, which we ordered plain since our kids don't do sauces (not even gravy usually! Picky kids. . ) I think the person taking the order didn't quite understand because she she kept asking David if he wanted coffee, which he did not. The kids waited long enough to finally fall asleep and their brownies never came. I know we could have called and asked about them but it wasn't that important and as I said, I think maybe when David said he didn't want coffee she thought he meant he didn't want anything at all.

Time to sleep. Tomorrow we go to San Juan.

Archived